Notices

Sugar and Coffee

Old 09-24-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sugar and Coffee

OK, I know what Under the Influence says about avoiding sweets to help reduce cravings, but jeez, I am not drinking, and some ice cream sounds really good! I am wondering what you guys think about cutting sugar and coffee out of your diet along with not drinking during early sobriety? I also know most AA meetings offer coffee, and some even have a bowl of candy, plus cake and stuff. I want to be successful with not drinking this time but I feel cutting sugar and coffee out too is a bit much to ask...?
Old 09-24-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I totally agree with you. Giving up alcohol is hard. If a bit of cake or chocolate gives me comfort, I'm going to have some. At some point, I'll work on eating healthy but I can't manage it just yet and I'm not going to feel bad about it.

I work in a restaurant. A few nights ago, I got a really strong craving for a glass of wine so I asked the chef for some chocolate cake. It totally got rid of my craving. Fine, I don't want to be stuffing myself with chocolate cake every night but for the moment, it's ok.

Re caffeine - cups of tea are saving my life at the moment!
Old 09-24-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I have heard that cutting out sweets may help alcohol cravings in the long run. I know I always feel better eating right & not "crashing" after the sugar rush.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Patty! Well, I must admit I caved in to my sugar cravings. I found it comforting early on. (There are a couple of threads about this - it's very common.) My desire for sugar calmed way down after a few months. Finally I stopped with the candy bars, lollipops, lifesavers, etc., & now it's down to just ice cream I still do drink coffee.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've avoided the sugar rush for some reason. Probably because I've never liked sweets...

I went a bit crazy for the caffeine though, bad enough that I had to go to a doctor at one point. I think it's fine, caffeinated beverages give you something to drink to replace beer (I'm sipping black tea flavored with a bag of tangerine herbal as I write this) and they give you a mood lift (very noticeable in my case).

Originally Posted by elihoping
Re caffeine - cups of tea are saving my life at the moment!
You and me both.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Anything at this point is better then drinking, I say feed your other desires!! Try decaf instead of caffeinated and chocolate milk instead of full blown ice cream.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Patty
as long as you don't drink alcohol i say go for it.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In my opinion, sugar is better than alcohol! I don't know if sugar increases alcohol cravings or not, but seems like lots of people eats lots of sweets in early recovery. I say go for if it helps. I never had a huge sweet tooth, so that hasn't been a problem for me. However, I am smoking like crazy and drinking lots of coffee. I plan to work on those addictions in time. I am also drinking a TON of water. It's like my body can't get enough hydration. Also, I feel the need to always be drinking SOMETHING. Anything but booze.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My sponsor and I were having a bit of a laugh about my propensity to reach for the donuts whenever I felt a bit "meh". A whole box at a time! She said not to stress about it, that donuts certainly wouldn't cause me to accidentally injure myself or say stupid things, etc. As long as i'm not drinking, it's OK For the most part I watch what I eat, but on occasion it's not exactly harmful. I haven't reached for them for a couple of weeks, I guess for me, that's progress :p

I also average 2 coffees a day, but have cut right back on energy drinks....maybe 1 a week.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I say have some ice cream—you've never deserved it more!

I just try to take the same sensible approach to diet anyone else would. And contrary to everything I heard growing up, coffee turns out to be an excellent part of that diet. Of particular interest to me are the studies indicating it reduces the risk of liver disease, even among people who used to drink booze by the bucket—yay, coffee!
Old 09-24-2012, 07:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been having more coffee than I used to, and I don't like artificial sweeteners. Considering that I already don't eat fried foods, eat only lean proteins, fruits, nuts and veggies and the occasional yogurt, heck - I don't feel guilty at all for having some coffee w/ my sugar.

I have been having a few pieces of candy corn or chocolate every few days or so. That's probably the alcohol craving/sugar substitution thing, but so far it's pretty manageable.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have been sober almost 2 years and I didn't start to feel better physically until I cut out caffeine completely 2 months ago. I had terrible anxiety but felt I was ok drinking tons of coffee and soda since I wasn't drinking alcohol. No caffeine is crucial to me since I suffer from anxiety and alcoholism.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Interesting. I found that after I completely cut out alcohol I could no longer tolerate marijuana. I'd have the same thing. Major anxiety attacks. Now that I've cut out the marijuana however, I find that I am much less prone to anxiety attacks.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I make not drinking my number one priority at this point, and if that means overeating, or eating some sugar to get past a craving, then so be it. I have lost close to 10 pounds in a month regardless. As I get more used to this not drinking thing, I plan to look more closely at my diet, as I do have quite a bit of weight to lose. But, right now, staying sober is my priority. And no matter what I eat, I never wake up regretting it like I would if I had drank! Just my philosophy...
Old 09-25-2012, 03:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Caffeine causes depression for me. Depression doesn't make me drink but I expect it makes other people drink.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Let go and Let God!

I tell my sponsee's to give up one thing at time. Drinking first then the others.

As for me, I had to have my sweets at first. It was ice cream every night for a few months. Now I eat ice cream only at birthday functions.

I think it also depends on why you want to give this stuff up. Why do you feel you need to give up coffee?
Old 09-25-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Caffeine and sugar are chemical substances that can be addicting although there affects on the human body are nothing like alcohol, cocaine, or numerous drugs.
The reason I want to quit coffee and sugar is my aversion to addiction in general. As for ice cream, I enjoy a big bowl of french vanilla smothered with chocolate syrup every night.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I like sugar and and I love chocolate.

I eat a little sugar and I eat a fair amount of sugar-free chocolate (Asher's bars).

I work out at the gym several days a week and I stay pretty trim and fit.

And caffeine is one of the 4 major food groups.

But I eat sugar and chocolate sparingly (everyday), and I have never lost a wife or a job from drinking caffeine.

So I have no desire or plans to give up any of these pleasures.

Whatever life's other dietary or behavioural problems are, drinking is worse.

I quite chewing tobacco, dipping Kodiak and smoking cigars when I got sober.

To be quite honest, I miss them, but, mercifully, I don't miss drinking (who misses being sick, being broke, having insurmountable problems, being constantly in trouble, and losing important things and relationships?); but, I do miss chewing tobacco (when I'm on the farm) and smoking a good cigar after a good meal.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nirvana1 View Post
I have been sober almost 2 years and I didn't start to feel better physically until I cut out caffeine completely 2 months ago. I had terrible anxiety but felt I was ok drinking tons of coffee and soda since I wasn't drinking alcohol. No caffeine is crucial to me since I suffer from anxiety and alcoholism.
Nirvana, that's really interesting to hear. I get fairly full-on anxiety and drink 2-3 strong coffees a day. My therapist told me to stop due to my anxiety but couldn't face giving it up when I stopped drinking 6 months ago (and sometimes I ignore my therapist.. hmmm). I may try, anxiety bit annoying at moment. Thanks.

OP, re. sugar, I did have quite a lot of sweets in the beginning, now cut them out. I've re-worked my diet a bit but still reach for biscuits now and then. I read quite a bit about PAWs and the advice talks about trying to balance sugar levels... but I also got advice to not worry too much about coffee/sugar in the beginning, as you just need to do what you need to do to stay off the booze.