View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
regeneration

Originally Posted by Nirvana1 View Post
I have been sober almost 2 years and I didn't start to feel better physically until I cut out caffeine completely 2 months ago. I had terrible anxiety but felt I was ok drinking tons of coffee and soda since I wasn't drinking alcohol. No caffeine is crucial to me since I suffer from anxiety and alcoholism.
Nirvana, that's really interesting to hear. I get fairly full-on anxiety and drink 2-3 strong coffees a day. My therapist told me to stop due to my anxiety but couldn't face giving it up when I stopped drinking 6 months ago (and sometimes I ignore my therapist.. hmmm). I may try, anxiety bit annoying at moment. Thanks.

OP, re. sugar, I did have quite a lot of sweets in the beginning, now cut them out. I've re-worked my diet a bit but still reach for biscuits now and then. I read quite a bit about PAWs and the advice talks about trying to balance sugar levels... but I also got advice to not worry too much about coffee/sugar in the beginning, as you just need to do what you need to do to stay off the booze.