Notices

falling off the wagon.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Yep, that certainly does sound like a fairly good week, lol. Glad to see abstinence hasn't affected your gift for understatement.

Way to be, NC.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:56 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
instant

NC

Good news. Keep up the good work.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Cool NC! No one lives in a constant state of bliss but it sure does lighten the load to eliminate all of the drinking chaos from your life. Having a much quieter mind that's not constantly in the throes of alcohol or drug withdrawal is priceless!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
No beat ups here...I will share something tho

I was terrified of feeling...I was terrified of being sad, terrified of feeling lonely,of being stressed or worried or angry or bored...

I was that way from a child.

Alcohol was actually a control mechanism for me.
As the years went on I tried to control more and more feelings and situations...

As you know, the paying of the piper got more and more as well.

The only way out of that cycle was a leap of faith free fall.

The only way I ever got used to feeling those feelings...joining the rest of the human race in experiencing the fullness of the human experience...the only way I ever moved from sporadic bursts of not drinking into real recovery...was to not reach for the drink.

I'm glad I did because - no matter how hard it seemed at the time - it was nowhere near as hard as I imagined it to be.

And...I moved from a monochrome life into a full technicolour one.
I genuinely grew from the experience - and I have no regrets.

Drinking had to stop being a viable option for me.

I was weak, I was beaten, I was destitute & had been for many years,. even before I took my first drink - I had 40 years of abuse to reckon with....

If I could do it, I'm sure anyone else reading this - including you - can too

Don't lose faith - just work out a plan - make some real changes

welcome back.
D
I love your posts.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:03 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
Cool NC! No one lives in a constant state of bliss but it sure does lighten the load to eliminate all of the drinking chaos from your life. Having a much quieter mind that's not constantly in the throes of alcohol or drug withdrawal is priceless!
the most beautiful thing about it was that, objectively, yesterday wasn't even all that great a day. but after a friend called to talk about her mother dying it occurred to me that being able to be there, to show up and to follow through, is perhaps the most important thing. it is connection, it is possibility, and it is 100% unattainable when i am on a bender. and so here tonite on the eve of an awful anniversary in a life with all sorts of non-ideal circumstances and as-yet unresolved issues, it's all still ok. in sobriety, there is possibility.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:42 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
instant

Be there more often and things will grow.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:47 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by instant View Post
Be there more often and things will grow.
i am learning, or remembering, that on some days strength isn't automatic. doesn't mean it can't be summoned, doesn't mean it's not there, just that some days are heavier than others and require a bit more effort. yesterday was heavy, and today too. i didn't pick up, and i didn't come close to picking up (thanks, avrt). but instead i accepted the heaviness and discomfort that i usually run from and did a lot of deep breathing and laps in the pool, and might have even felt something. basic stuff, i know. but it somehow feels important, like growth.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:15 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by NobleCause View Post
i am learning, or remembering, that on some days strength isn't automatic. doesn't mean it can't be summoned, doesn't mean it's not there, just that some days are heavier than others and require a bit more effort. yesterday was heavy, and today too. i didn't pick up, and i didn't come close to picking up (thanks, avrt).
Beautiful.
How awesome... "doesn't mean it's not there" ...

Originally Posted by NobleCause
but instead i accepted the heaviness and discomfort that i usually run from and did a lot of deep breathing and laps in the pool, and might have even felt something. basic stuff, i know. but it somehow feels important, like growth.
YEAH!!

Basic stuff. hahaha. Yeah, basic like quantum physics is basic to the universe,

"might have even felt something"... this statement from you means so very much. When we can feel good about doing good we usually get good things done no matter the challenge before us, behind us, or even all around us.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:56 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Good stuff.

I must admit, it was a revelation to realize that the hardest days can be the most meaningful and rewarding days.

So many times I've been like, "Oh, so this is what life is like..." It's cool, though—the newness of the basic stuff. It's like being a tourist, and appreciating stuff that the locals take for granted.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:41 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NobleCause View Post
on some days strength isn't automatic
It's taken me 40 years to realize that being the person I want to be takes daily work, and it takes daily work for everyone. You can only skate for so long (four decades, I guess) on talent and luck and convivial bon mots before the tank runs dry (and you find yourself mixing metaphors shamelessly, apparently). There does seem to be something in the alcoholic mind that at once believes both that good things should come easily and that good things will never come at all. Turns out, I have to exercise, eat healthfully, get sleep, and talk about my stupid emotions if I want to feel fully human. What an unjust drag
Old 09-14-2012, 08:45 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Deserto View Post
...being the person I want to be takes daily work, and it takes daily work for everyone.

read your post in my office earlier today, a brutally frustrating day brimming with insane deadlines, insane colleagues, and insaner clients, and when i read, 'being the person I want to be takes daily work, and it takes daily work for everyone, i took it at first glance to mean that 'it takes daily work for everyone to make me the person i want to be.' 'that's right,' i thought, gazing past my door at the loyal but dramatic band of misfit employees that i manage, 'those suckers better shape up.' and then i read it again.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:04 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Noble,
You say it like I think it. And dang, do I ever appreciate that.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:29 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NobleCause
gazing past my door at the loyal but dramatic band of misfit employees that i manage
Why does that make me think of these guys?

Old 09-14-2012, 10:00 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

@RAA ha. that is perfect. and a great film. tho it'll now be hard to go in on monday morning and not picture a colander on anyone's head.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:21 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
instant

Everybody needs to be loved. Where would we be without them (lol).

NC. It was only later that I came to realise that I was on the way to being hollowed out emotionally by alcohol. When drinking alone, at times I would suddenly cry uncontrollably, I thought it was a healthy thing. Let it all out etc etc. I now see them as periods when my emotional apparatus was being hijacked and damaged. I am grateful the damage was not permanent, but it did take a very long time for everything to get back in synch..................

and ..................I am no longer Mr Angry pants at work.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

I have been chuckling to myself all day thinking about the phrase "Mr. Angry Pants."

lol, just did it again...

Hope you're having a good day, NC, or at the very least a comfortable one.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
i'm managing ok. felt the need for a break from humanity so i took an isolation weekend. read a lot, thought a lot, ran a bit, and tried to repair my mind. turns out that'll probably take a lot longer than a weekend, but otherwise i'm fine. two weeks fine today, in fact.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Nice. Just read the thread through and through. Lots of good stuff in here and I'm better for having read it.

You can count me an adoring fan with a minor investment in your success.

Have you managed a big plan yet? Making that commitment was the epiphany for me - changed everything.

Will you drink again in this lifetime?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Administrator

2 weeks is great NC. Congratulations!

D
Old 09-17-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
I have been chuckling to myself all day thinking about the phrase "Mr. Angry Pants."

lol, just did it again...

My wife's favorite is, "Mr. Poopy Pants", you know acting as if I have a load of poop in my pants?

(Funny, I would have never imagined my first post on a NC thread would be about having a load of poop in my pants. Go figure?)