Notices

Being a Sponsor ?

Old 04-09-2012, 05:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Being a Sponsor ?

How much clean time do you think a person should have before they become a "Sponsor" ?

Old 04-09-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Boy, like most questions the only accurate answer is, "It depends". I know one guy who had multiple sponsees when he only had 90 days. I hope that works out for all involved but I know I wouldn;t recommend it.

I have seven months, working on Step 8, and I KNOW I'm not a candidate for being a sponsor. I figure a sponsor would have, at very least,to have completed all the steps once. And, dare I say, be relatively secure in their sobriety.

Then again, just piling up time might not be the best indicator. While somebody might have their act together and be an excellent sponsor in 2012, does that mean they're going to have the same quality of sobriety in 2014? I think it demands honest self-examination. And probably the input of THEIR sponsor.

Sponsorship is a big deal, real responsobility, and shouldn;t be entered into lightly.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A general rule of thumb is to have 2 years of sobriety,have made all your ammends and be happy with your sobriety.I would add also,having a sponsor who has a sponsor,belonging to a home group and being active in service.
The first 2-5 years in AA are an apprenticeship and then the work begins.I know in the early days of AA this was not possible,but it is a sound guideline today.
Feel free to dispute,I put it out for discussion.

Cheers,Steve
Old 04-09-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

I don't think its really about quantity of clean time, rather its all about quality of life sans alcohol.

If an AA sponsor:

* embraces and completes the 12 steps program, and lives those steps in his or her daily affairs

* acknowledges a psychic change which removes the drinking problem and allows for a revolution in living a changed life sans alcohol resulting in a ongoing recovered life and/or a life of recovery

* can demonstrate and share those real life changes and challenges, and is already receiving the promises in some measure as a result of their progress

* can actually pass on what they have learned to others in a way which can be readily grasped and ASAP embraced by sponsees without requiring an otherwise enduring sponsor-sponsee relationship to the respective sponsor

* has no personal axe to grind with other AA members who may choose to not follow the respective sponsor's personal example, and so therefor the sponsor accepts Live and Let Live as a practical solution for such disagreements

All the above is what I would want in a sponsor if I wanted a sponsor with quality AA sobriety to guide me and help me achieve my own measure of sobriety. When I did agree to sponsor, all the above is what I offered my sponsees, and no less then the above.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My first guy had 2 years 4 months when I asked him. He was making his amends, showing up regularly and putting 10-12 in practice.

Glad I didn't ask some lump who just hadn't drank for a few years. No answer for me there.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The first 2-5 years in AA are an apprenticeship and then the work begins
Not sure what you mean by that statement, if by work you mean steps, i strongly disagree, from my own personal experience i would be dead ...work began the minute i was ready to except certain ideas....that acceptance came from the misery of not drinking using my own perceived power ...

As for sponsorship, its all a matter of whether you live it, or talk it.
plenty of people talk a good program....and i can include myself in that for a few years,
I have to agree with the list robbie posted and have little to add.

My own personal experience is this.......i know a great sponsor, whom has recovered and is currently taking women through the book, 6 ish weeks sober.

My sponsor has less sobriety years than me.....makes no difference...he has a manner of living (discipline) that i have found difficult to achieve in the past year or two.......perfect for me...
Old 04-09-2012, 06:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

By 8 months, I had been guided through the steps 3 times, amends completed by 9 months. I have been sponsoring another woman since I reached about 9 months of sobriety. I work with my sponsor and specifically with my higher power; it's not my opinions being given, it's what has been working for me along with a lot of prayer and meditation. My sponsor runs things by their sponsor not only for sponsoring me, but also for helping with my sponsee. I don't do it alone. She's sober today and she's been guided through the steps once, so far.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
How much clean time do you think a person should have before they become a "Sponsor" ?
I don't think "TIME" is the real criteria for someone becoming a sponsor. It's more a matter of experience. It takes some time to get experience, but time does not guarantee experience. It starts with working the steps and culminates with:

"Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we carry this message to alcoholics..."
Old 04-09-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think 3 - 5 years is a good guide line provided they have done the work themselves.

It takes up to 2 years for post acute withdrawals to subside.

And there also is this phenomena that happens during this time frame (2 years) as well?
" Everyone wants to be a sponsor or counselor. "
One should wait until this phenomena passes!

An old timer once pointed out to me how serious being a sponsor can be.
He shared a story about how he found one of his sponsee's home with 2 slashed wrists and how it affected him.
Alcoholism is not to be taken lightly and one should fully understand what they could be getting into.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Gone In

Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
...An old timer once pointed out to me how serious being a sponsor can be.
He shared a story about how he found one of his sponsee's home with 2 slashed wrists and how it affected him.
Alcoholism is not to be taken lightly and one should fully understand what they could be getting into.
I'm not an AA guy, but that statement makes a lot of sense to me. You open yourself up to a lot of bad stuff being a sponsor, it's good idea to think twice before volunteering. I'm sure there are other ways of being of service in AA than being a sponsor.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

[QUOTEYou open yourself up to a lot of bad stuff being a sponsor, it's good idea to think twice before volunteering. ][/QUOTE]..

Really ?....like what ?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by BASEjumper View Post
...You open yourself up to a lot of bad stuff being a sponsor, it's good idea to think twice before volunteering.
I opened myself up to a lot of bad stuff in steps 4, 9 and 12.

IMO spiritual growth is the direct result of walking through fear, adversity and failure from the perspective of a student, rather than from the perspective of a victim.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is what AA says about sponsorship....

Alcoholics Anonymous : Pamphlets

Many meetings have this on their free literature rack...
Old 04-09-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

I can't open PDF files, but I'll read a copy I get from a meeting. Here's Clarence S.'s take on sponsorship from 1944 (I'm enjoying history today).

A.A. Sponsorship Pamphlet, 1944, by Clarence S.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
I can't open PDF files, but I'll read a copy I get from a meeting. Here's Clarence S.'s take on sponsorship from 1944 (I'm enjoying history today).

A.A. Sponsorship Pamphlet, 1944, by Clarence S.

Sugarbear, Adobe Reader is free : Adobe - Adobe Reader download - All versions

Just uncheck the Google Chrome box if you don't want it.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

At least 6 months sober is the usual suggestion in the meetings I go to.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BASEjumper View Post
I'm not an AA guy, but that statement makes a lot of sense to me. You open yourself up to a lot of bad stuff being a sponsor, it's good idea to think twice before volunteering. I'm sure there are other ways of being of service in AA than being a sponsor.
That's why you need to set firm boundaries immediately with the sponsee. And NEVER go around to trying to collect sponsees, unless you want to collect the blame too if something goes wrong--you're supposed to let them ask you.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

I have adobe reader, it's a realllllly sloooowwww connection and a reallllly ollllld laptop. I got the other one to turn on again, but now I can't get it to turn on today. It beats the phone~ 3" screen....

but, I will attempt a new download...
Old 04-09-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

52 minutes
3 download attempts
stuck at 38%

connection or computer? Or both?

(sorry about hyjacking the thread, but any computer geek, please private email me)
Old 04-09-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
52 minutes
3 download attempts
stuck at 38%

connection or computer? Or both?

(sorry about hyjacking the thread, but any computer geek, please private email me)
Reboot, then try again.