Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Got arrested for my 2nd DUI last night, need advice.

Notices

Old 04-27-2008, 02:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
tes

I was almost home and barely even had a buzz. Got pulled over for noise violation (I have a very loud stereo in my car) and blew .122. My last (1st) DUI was on 1/1/1999. Does anyone know of a a good laywer in the Cherokee/Cobb county GA area that wont break me? Im kind of scared. Any advice greatly appreachiated.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So what happened to giving AA another shot earlier this month?

I don't have any legal experience to offer. What I do have to offer is experience with living sober on a daily basis
Old 04-27-2008, 02:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by tes View Post
Any advice greatly appreachiated.
Don't drink and it won't happen again.

You can pay now (a costly lawyer that might get you off) or you can pay later...higher insurance rates and jobs that can't be gotten because of your driving record.
What would be more important... What are your plans so it doesn't happen a next time?
Old 04-27-2008, 03:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

a good lawyer....

tes wrote: "Does anyone know of a a good laywer in the Cherokee/Cobb county GA area that wont break me? "

A "good lawyer" translates to one who can get me off, plea me down or otherwise flim flam the system so that I can get over and not have to take personal responsibility for my stupidity. I'm not going to say the disease word because folks trying to get over will also use that classification as well as an excuse to justify their actions.

tes also wrote: "Got pulled over for noise violation (I have a very loud stereo in my car) "

That means another car for the hearing impaired. Someone playing what they call music loud enough to rattle the windows in cars within a 300' radius. If you want to go deaf, PLEASE wear a set of good headphones so that you don't subject the rest of us to what you are playing just on the off chance (:rof we don't want to hear what you are playing OR we would like to hear what we are playing OR we just don't care for the sensation of vibrating in our own cars. Some of us even have infants in a child seat that begin to cry when subjected to the throbbing vibrations - it can be scary to a young child.

tes wrote: "barely even had a buzz... and blew .122"

In NY, blowing a .08 = driving while intoxicated. The fact thay tes blew a .122 and BARELY EVEN HAD A BUZZ scares me. The fact that there was hardly a buzz shows physical tolerance has already been well manifested and impairment which has no correlation with a buzz puts everyone else's life in danger.

What I see from posts like this is an individual who doesn't care for anyone else but themselves. They drive drunk, over the limit of allowable BAC and have developed a tolerance for alcohol beyond the occassional drinker would. I see an individual who shows no respect for others on the road for playing their music so loud that everyone around them is subject to it no matter how annoying it is to everyone else and loud enough to be heard by a police officer. I've ridden in Police cars as part of a community project and with all the noise in them (radio calls etc), it does take someone who is totally inconsiderate to blast enough noise to be heard in a cruiser. I see someone who wants to get over and not take responsibility for their behaviors while at the same time looking for a lawyer who won't cost much. Someone who wants lexus luxury on a rent a wreck budget. Someone who wants to get over on the cheap.

Maybe, I don't know the laws in your state but in many communities, YOUR NEXT DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE MAY BE A FELONY. Even if not, maybe your next journey under the influence blasting the stereo might result in the taking of lives, destroying families, killing little children, mothers, brothers, sons, daughters, fathers, grandparents, pregnant women, destroying property and maybe, if everyone else is lucky, you will physically lose the ability to ever drive a car again. Sound a little harsh? Have a talk with a friend of mine whose six month pregnant wife and 4 year old daughter were killed by a barely buzzed driver who blew about what tes did and whose high priced lawyer got the bozo off with just treatment and community service. Two years later the bozo killed both a tree and himself and a perfectly good car once again driving barely buzzed.

I have no sympathy for anyone taking a several thousand pound weapon of mass destruction out on the road while their driving ability is impaired. I have no sympathy for their egos or their I want to get over attitude. I can identify with that and am so grateful I never hurt or killed another prson or animal. As an amends I did plant a few trees to replace the ones that jumped out onto the road at me and I destroyed.

I just hope that someone doesn't have to die before you get it. I also hope that you don't have to die as well before you get it. I won't wish you luck in finding a good cheap lawyer.

tes even wrote: "Im kind of scared"

Talk about not being in touch with reality OR humanity. KIND OF...
Old 04-27-2008, 03:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

:wtf2

I thought this was a website to help people learn how to not drink and use

NOT for helping enable someone to avoid being responsible for their actions.

I am angry, as I'm sure you can tell.

No where did you ask for help in having this ever happen again!

This is how it read to me:

When you want some help with getting clean and staying clean and working on your Recovery, I will be more than happy to share my experience, strength and hope. For now, I can only Pray for you.

God Be With You and Anyone In Your Path,
    Judy
    Old 04-27-2008, 03:52 PM
      # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yogurt75 View Post
    Have a talk with a friend of mine whose six month pregnant wife and 4 year old daughter were killed by a barely buzzed driver who blew about what tes did and whose high priced lawyer got the bozo off with just treatment and community service. Two years later the bozo killed both a tree and himself and a perfectly good car once again driving barely buzzed.
    That reminded me of my next door neighbor's 19 year old son who was 'barely buzzed' three summers ago, and killed himself, his passenger, and the driver of another car coming the other way when he hit that car head on.
    Old 04-27-2008, 04:09 PM
      # 7 (permalink)  
    bona fido dog-lover

Tes, I was going to offer some advice based on my personal experience, but damn, the people who posted before me have already said anything I was going to say, and said it better.

So all I can offer is, hey you need some serious help, and I don't mean a cheap lawyer.
    Old 04-27-2008, 04:21 PM
      # 8 (permalink)  

Tes,

I agree with what everyone else had to say...my son drove drunk one time too many & is now a quadraplegic...

kelsh
    Old 04-27-2008, 04:23 PM
      # 9 (permalink)  
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Jeez people, how many "judges" does this person need to face?

I'm not condoning drinking and driving, and I'm not condoning evading responsibility. It sounds to me like the person screwed up, the cop took them off the road, and now its in the hands of the court system. That's the way it works.

Like anyone else facing "the system", TES is entitled to proper representation, (its even written into the Constitution remember?). All TES asked for was a recommendation for a lawyer, (and like any other professional, I think a good one is better than a bad one). Should TES instead have asked for help finding a bad lawyer?

"Sober" does not mean "I am better than you and therefore entitled to harangue and scold you".

B#tch-slapping someone who comes here asking for help is not an effective way to steer them towards recovery, in my opinion. How many of us, here a SR, have also gotten a DUI, hmmmm? Would being strung up in the nearest tree have done any good?

I thought this place was about recovery and sharing ESH, not about lynching.

TES, I feel for you... I know what being scared is like. Thankfully you didn't hurt anyone or anything... Hopefully you'll take this as a wake-up call and consider starting on the path of recovery. It really is a better way of life, at least in my experience.

Check out some of the stickies at the top of this forum. You might find something that's helpful.
    Old 04-27-2008, 04:28 PM
      # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks so much Greentea - I couldn't have said it better.
    Old 04-27-2008, 04:34 PM
      # 11 (permalink)  

So exactly what category does giving him the name for a good attorney (who won't break him) fall under-experience, strength, or hope?

I also didn't read anything in his post that even remotely resembled him being interested in recovery.
    Old 04-27-2008, 04:40 PM
      # 12 (permalink)  
    bona fido dog-lover

Tes came onto a public forum and asked for advice. He got some advice, just probably not the kind he wanted. I didn't read anything in his post asking specifically about recovery. He didn't say "oh my god I got a dui, I could have killed someone!". He asked for the name of a good lawyer. Doesn't sound too contrite to me. Too many of us have attended funerals for victims of drunk driving to have a lot of sympathy for someone looking to get off easy from a dui. I'm not judging, just hope he's never on the same road as I am.

Another point: if Tes is greatly offended by our scolding tone, he's really going to hate going in front of a real judge, who will not be chastized by his colleagues for 'scolding' a drunken driver. I stand by what I said. If Tes can't take the heat, he shouldn't be driving drunk, and shouldn't be careless enough to play his stereo loud enough to attract the attention of the cops. Must have been pretty buzzed after all if he didn't notice his decibel level was a bit much.
    Old 04-27-2008, 04:44 PM
      # 13 (permalink)  
    Let go, let God.

I'm thinking it's good to hear all sides, just in case. Just my honest opinion.
    Old 04-27-2008, 04:51 PM
      # 14 (permalink)  
    Queen of Leesburg

It's not lynching. This person is on a recovery site asking for help in getting a lawyer to get him off easy for a DUI he got LAST NIGHT. It's not an appropriate question for this forum. If the question is..."can you tell me what you did to get sober so I don't do this again", then we're the people to ask. I don't think straight answers are "lynching".
    Old 04-27-2008, 05:03 PM
      # 15 (permalink)  
    Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I would suggest moving in to a sober living house, Oxford House is a good one and they are nation wide. Get a court card and attend AA meetings. Next time you see the judge show her/him what you are doing to stay sober, if staying sober is in your plans.

With drunk driving laws as they are getting a layer isn't going to do much for you. What would happen in my state (CA) is loss of license for 12 -18 months (maybe a drive too and from work permit), DUI school and AA attendance.
    Old 04-27-2008, 05:19 PM
      # 16 (permalink)  

GreenTea

GreenTea wrote: "Jeez people, how many "judges" does this person need to face?"

Maybe, just enough judges that it would take to think twice before getting behind the wheel of a potential weapon of mass destruction while under the influence of a substance which impairs judgement and slows down reaction times.

BTW - the only "plea" for help that I read was one to find a good lawyer to help tes get over and not take responsibility. I have nothing against adequate representation as guaranteed under the constitution. I do however have major problems with loopholes in the law and lawyers using those loopholes to allow people to evade their responsibilities and place other lives in jeopardy. Remember; Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness goes for all the potential victims tes might have killed or injured - all the property tes might have destroyed and the risk everyone else had while tes was blasting music and driving while impaired. It's not all about the right tes has for adequate representation - somehow, folks seem to conveniently forget something while advocating for the right of adequate representation....

They forget the potential victims who

ALSO DESERVE EQUAL PROTECTION UNDER THE LAW!

"Screwed up" my rear end! If I was walking on a sidewalk or driving on the roads where tes was driving why should my life and the lives of those I love be put in harm's way or in jeopardy? tes made a conscious (albeit impaired) decision to get behind the wheel of a potential weapon of mass destruction with ability to drive and make rational decisions and adequate reactions within a reasonable amount of time prudent to preventing an accident. Adding too much sugar to a recipe is screwing up. Driving with ability impaired due to consumption of alcohol IS NOT SCREWING UP!

I didn't read anyone posting that they were better than tes. This place is about recovery - recovery means taking responsibility for our actions, when wrong promptly admitting it and practicing the principles of recovery in all my affairs. I also shared my experience with knowing many people who have died, been injured, lost their cars, homes and loved ones because of a drnk driver. I have shared my strength by speaking out against the loopholes in the laws preventing the pursuit of equal protection under the law for not only the individual who does the deed but equal protection under the law for those who have to pay the price with their lives, health and property for the person who decided to drive under the influence. As far as hope goes; I hope that tes gets real help and not just a slap on the wrist. I hope that tes gets the message that what tes did was dangerous. I hope that tes never drives under the influence of alcohol again. I also hope that, if tes continues to do what tes wants to do that they throw the book at tes, put tes away for a really long time and ensure that tes never get behind the wheel of a car again. I also hope that scenario doesn't have to go that far.

It wasn't until I moved from kind of scared into downright terrified that I actually and honestly sought help.

As part of my recovery process I was taught early on to never kiss people into their graves. I was also told that if I didn't stand for something I was liable to fall for anything. I don't think the truth or reality equates to what has been accused of as "B#tch-slapping."

SHARING MY EXPERIENCE, MY STRENGTH AND MY HOPE DOESN'T ALWAYS MEAN SAYING WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR!
    Old 04-27-2008, 05:24 PM
      # 17 (permalink)  
    Administrator

Sometimes it's hard to reply to a post without preconceived ideas...especially ones about drunk driving - I've blasted people myself.

But I'm trying to learn...we're here to help.

Sometimes scolding and haranguing are suitable responses - but only if I know the person well and we have a long relationship...and only when I know it'll get somewhere.

But I *don't* know Tes very well, I can't really remember any of his other posts -
    maybe there's a whole back story here, but I wouldn't make some of the assumptions people have made here based on this one 3 line post (some of the posts here are really off the point...)

Asking about others experience with legal matters is an entirely suitable use for this forum IMO.

I'll leave the judging to the courts in this one.
    D
    Old 04-27-2008, 05:35 PM
      # 18 (permalink)  
    Mr.MeToo?

Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
    Jeez people, how many "judges" does this person need to face?

I'm not condoning drinking and driving, and I'm not condoning evading responsibility. It sounds to me like the person screwed up, the cop took them off the road, and now its in the hands of the court system. That's the way it works.

Like anyone else facing "the system", TES is entitled to proper representation, (its even written into the Constitution remember?). All TES asked for was a recommendation for a lawyer, (and like any other professional, I think a good one is better than a bad one). Should TES instead have asked for help finding a bad lawyer?

"Sober" does not mean "I am better than you and therefore entitled to harangue and scold you".

B#tch-slapping someone who comes here asking for help is not an effective way to steer them towards recovery, in my opinion. How many of us, here a SR, have also gotten a DUI, hmmmm? Would being strung up in the nearest tree have done any good?

TES, I feel for you... I know what being scared is like. Thankfully you didn't hurt anyone or anything... Hopefully you'll take this as a wake-up call and consider starting on the path of recovery. It really is a better way of life, at least in my experience.

Check out some of the stickies at the top of this forum. You might find something that's helpful.

Took the words right out of my mouth.
    Old 04-27-2008, 05:37 PM
      # 19 (permalink)  
    Don't get undies in a bunch

Ok People time for some reality...

A DUI will cost a person about $5,000-$10,000. vs Jail time, a lost license, probation, higher insurance costs.
    Doesn't matter if a person get off in front of a judge or not...there is still a high price paid no matter what happens in the courts.
    You drink and drive...you pay or you pay. A punishment comes either way.

So what should we do about it? How can we keep drunk drivers off the road?
    Educate them to a better way of life. A sober way of life.
    I only know of 3 things that will keep a person from driving drunk.

Education and acceptance of a better way of life. A sober way of life.
    Death....when that last ride becomes your last ride.
    Jail.... for habitual repeat offenders

Take a license away and people still drive. Higher insurance costs and now you find they drive with no insurance. Rules won't stop a person that wants to break the rules.

TES will find enough punishment from this DUI no matter what the courts say or do.
    Will TES find enough support and love from us to maybe see that there is a better way of life? A sober way.
    Old 04-27-2008, 05:42 PM
      # 20 (permalink)  

Have you hit your bottom yet?

Perhaps a 3rd DUI? Maybe next time with injuries?

Maybe you have to lose a little more than your license.

If you have a drinking problem, and if that drinking problem is alcoholism, if you do nothing, be prepared for a dramatic ride of the downward spiral.

It's that feeling of fear of repercussions from your actions that can help you take a good look at yourself and your drinking.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease. Untreated, the disease is a death sentence. You can always proclaim your not a alcoholic, and join the many others who have passed on from dying of alcoholism they refused to have.

As far as legal advice, refer to your Miranda Rights. "If you can not afford an attorney one will be provided for you." There called public defenders.

Tom