Notices

Being a Sponsor ?

Old 04-09-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shaun00 View Post
Not sure what you mean by that statement, if by work you mean steps, i strongly disagree, from my own personal experience i would be dead ...work began the minute i was ready to except certain ideas....that acceptance came from the misery of not drinking using my own perceived power ...

As for sponsorship, its all a matter of whether you live it, or talk it.
plenty of people talk a good program....and i can include myself in that for a few years,
I have to agree with the list robbie posted and have little to add.

My own personal experience is this.......i know a great sponsor, whom has recovered and is currently taking women through the book, 6 ish weeks sober.

My sponsor has less sobriety years than me.....makes no difference...he has a manner of living (discipline) that i have found difficult to achieve in the past year or two.......perfect for me...
An apprenticeship is a learning period,then the service work begins.Hope that's clearer.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Member of the RESISTANCE

At my meeting the general rule of thumb is a year's sobriety and into the maintenance steps.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by winslynn View Post
An apprenticeship is a learning period,then the service work begins.Hope that's clearer.
Yanno.......I've got to disagree there. I'm coming up on 5 yrs. Is your implication that I should wait till I turn 5 to do service work? To sponsor ppl?

Dr Bob was "sponsoring" on day 2... Bill was doing the same in a couple days. Ppl in Cleveland, I've read, were sponsoring in a couple days. My gr-grand-sponsor was in Detroit with some of the ppl who brought AA to Detroit from Dr Bob......they had new ppl through the steps their first time on day 1 and sponsoring on day 2....

Maybe I'm nit-picking or reading into your post... if I am, please correct me.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

An old timer once pointed out to me how serious being a sponsor can be.
He shared a story about how he found one of his sponsee's home with 2 slashed wrists and how it affected him.
Alcoholism is not to be taken lightly and one should fully understand what they could be getting into.

I think some missed this.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

-you're supposed to let them ask you.
Really?.......where does this idea come from.?
Old 04-09-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=shaun00;3355616]

My own personal experience is this.......i know a great sponsor, whom has recovered and is currently taking women through the book, 6 ish weeks sober.

shes 14 weeks shaun...lol....
this girl is a delight to watch....she has 3 sponsees and is on fire...she is right next to God,she has power all around her...IN ALL AREAS OF HER LIFE.....she is practising the principles in all her affairs....women are flocking to her...she is very prescise and consults me regular..every step of the way...all the time learning....its just wonderful to see....
my sponsor told me after taking me through the steps when i got my first sponsee "ah...now you will learn the program" tut...i had my nose put out of joint with this comment...but she was bang on the money...i learned it when i taught it (and keep leanring and getting new experiences) with excellent guidance every step of the way from good sponsorship...just like this youngster is....who better to be helping another alcoholic than someone who is so awake and plugged in?
if i had waited two years to carry out my PRIMARY PURPOSE....i wouldnt be posting here... i have a clause if you like when ladies ask me to sponsor them...that they agree to sponsor...as soon as they can.....and that can be step 9...i point out to them that only self-centred fear will tell them they cant do it...trust God...if He brings you one you better run with it.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

sarcasm???
Old 04-09-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Actually no.....i was asking where the information comes from that sponsor have to wait till sponsees ask to be sponsored
Old 04-09-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
AA member

The AA pamphlet on sponsorship is spot on.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

The first 2-5 years in AA are an apprenticeship and then the work begins.I know in the early days of AA this was not possible,but it is a sound guideline today.
Feel free to dispute,I put it out for discussion.
Opinions can't be disputed. Facts can be disputed. There is nothing factual about your opinion on the existence of an apprenticeship role within AA. I don't agree with your opinion, fwiw. Of course, your opinion is valuable to you. Nonetheless, apprenticeships are not required before "the work" begins. The work, in fact, truly begins the same day alcoholic drinking stops and the program begins...

What worked in the early days of AA can certainily of course also work today. There is no basis in fact a 2 year guideline is required or advised as a soiund guideline for today's AA.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

A general rule of thumb is to have 2 years of sobriety,have made all your ammends and be happy with your sobriety.I would add also,having a sponsor who has a sponsor,belonging to a home group and being active in service.
The first 2-5 years in AA are an apprenticeship and then the work begins.I know in the early days of AA this was not possible,but it is a sound guideline today.
Feel free to dispute,I put it out for discussion.

Cheers,Steve
I disagree.

A person who can unlock the hidden power of the Big Book can skip the Apprentice period.

I've seen AA prodigies recover in three months.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Yanno.......I've got to disagree there. I'm coming up on 5 yrs. Is your implication that I should wait till I turn 5 to do service work? To sponsor ppl?

Dr Bob was "sponsoring" on day 2... Bill was doing the same in a couple days. Ppl in Cleveland, I've read, were sponsoring in a couple days. My gr-grand-sponsor was in Detroit with some of the ppl who brought AA to Detroit from Dr Bob......they had new ppl through the steps their first time on day 1 and sponsoring on day 2....

Maybe I'm nit-picking or reading into your post... if I am, please correct me.
Well, you're not nit-picking, Mike.

Quality of life is the true measure of sobriety. Time accumulated is not a measure of quality. There is no secret to this... I have 30 years, and I'm clearly stating that without quality of life in my sobriety experiences, I would absolutely have nothing valuable to offer -- as a matter of fact I would only be a good example of what NOT to do if I do not have extensive quality after that many years under my belt.

Yeah. Quality is the thing. Quantity is absolutely secondary to quality.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:05 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

We seek them out......

Cheers,Steve
Old 04-09-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Question

whoops
Old 04-09-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Question

My take is two years to answer your question. I was a sponsor shortly after year #1 and in retrospect I was not ready but I was more than ready at around month 28. However, this is in my experience a spiritual program and many times trumps any arbitrary rules of AA conduct. Happens ALL the time. This idea brings me to a big requirement:

#1) the ability to relate to each other this is important if not essential.

#2)A sponser must know how to do the steps and with what spirit they need
be done in.

#3)We hear alot about the principles of the program so does this person
know what they are and exhibit those in his/her walk

#4)Being a "Winner" in worldly terms may not be the best choice, listen to
words and judge from that.

#5)Is the sponsor Available to you? Within reason Or have time to work with
regularly?

All these may take time to find especially for us perfectionist so ask someone to be a temporary sponser. Some one who is there for you. It has been said that a therapist is just a 'expensive' friend. Sponsors are free
Old 04-09-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Let's clear something up here,In the early days people were sponsoring with a matter of days under their belt because that's how it was then.
When I talk of an apprenticeship I mean working the 12 steps and gaining experience.When I say that after 5 years the work begins I mean you are by now deep in the Fellowship,sponsoring,and doing service work in a certain area usually.You now have a moral obligation to this program and you try to fulfill it.

Cheers,Steve
Old 04-09-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

The chapter "working with others" give me clear direction on how to work with others.

It doesn't mention waiting for a drunk to approach me, quite the contrary.
My first sponsor never waited for me to approach him...and i dont wait to be approached by sponsees either....and why would i

Bob didn't call bill....it was the other way round.
"Carry this message to other alcoholics" !.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Let's clear something up here,In the early days people were sponsoring with a matter of days under their belt because that's how it was then.
When I talk of an apprenticeship I mean working the 12 steps and gaining experience.When I say that after 5 years the work begins I mean you are by now deep in the Fellowship,sponsoring,and doing service work in a certain area usually.You now have a moral obligation to this program and you try to fulfill it.

Cheers,Steve
There is no need to clear anything up, really. Your opinion is very clear, but let's be honest, its your stated opinion about what length of time is required for being deep into fellowship, sponsoring, and service work. Some others, including me, think differently. No problemo, Steve.

As for a moral obligation, time is not required to bring moral resources into focus. Humility and gratitude, spiritual living, and quality of life suffices to enable a consistent practice of decent morality experienced within AA.

Dosen't take years to learn to be decent and give back what we have received, you know?

Old 04-09-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

In the early days people were sponsoring with a matter of days under their belt because that's how it was then
Theres quite a bit more to it than that......recovered drunks where working with others because when all else failed it saved their bacon.

Bill uses powerful words like ," practical experience shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics"

From my own experience to, i know this to be true.

The very birth of AA is down to bill and a phone booth......the bar looked mighty fine for a second.....i believe it was divine intervention, he picked up the phone to contact another drunk to tell them what he had found.
Ever thought how amazing that is?.....a big deal had gone down the drain, in a hotel with a bar....a chronic alcoholic,.....But he picks the phone up instead of going to the bar.....to a drinker like me that sounds beyond amazing.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

..double post!