Notices

Back again after years sobriety!

Old 03-16-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by feelingdown View Post
Sorry to lol, but.... 'ass falls off'.... just totally cracked me up! Love it and am going to remember it if I get tempted.

Em, re the heart rate thing - at one point I was regularly topping a 120 bpm (I'm 37 yo) without any real anxiety - I was quite worried, but also had a normal EKG. It seems to have passed now and I never really had a proper answer to what caused it (I was still binge drinking from time to time at the time, though).

Anyway, what I did find of help was distraction and relaxation. You found gardening helped, which is both distraction and relaxation. I can also recommend watching a really good, funny film, reading an engrossing book, taking a hot bubble bath, making a really good proper cup of tea (tea leaves, make a little ritual of it, that sort of thing) generally anything that makes you feel good about yourself. I echo others, if you are worried about it or it seems to be getting worse, get thyne ass to the docs again.

Take care.
My heart rate never went over 105, but still it was annoying. I am 59, so it is harder to detox, I guess...I don't know. I am starting to get back to my guitar - even if it isn't with a band - I will record at home on my own - It kills a LOT of time and it is creative - Hopefully I can continue not drinking. I don';t go to meetings. I live 35 miles from anything, even a super market. When I was drinking, I would buy a case of wine at a time because everything is so far from me. I have to live the rest of my life doing this solo.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:44 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Fantastic for the Five years. Time to start again!!
Hope your post has helped anyone on the brink of a drink or thinking of the future.
Hope the panic settles down , just been through that this weekend looking at my kids whilst having an attack awfull.
Good luck.
Great to have the music to flow through. Does that help with the panic attacks ?
John.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
Fantastic for the Five years. Time to start again!!
Hope your post has helped anyone on the brink of a drink or thinking of the future.
Hope the panic settles down , just been through that this weekend looking at my kids whilst having an attack awfull.
Good luck.
Great to have the music to flow through. Does that help with the panic attacks ?
John.
Thanks John - Funny you should mention kids. When I looked into my son's and granddaughter's eyes, I would have to walk into another room and break down and cry, thinking to myself.."WHAT AM I DOING TO MY FAMILY"?
Like you say - AWFUL
Music is pulling me through this a lot, but there is always a point where I associate the music with a glass of Chianti. I am not giving up music, I am giving up Chianti, at least for today. I too hope this helps some folks out there who are considering picking up again.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hey, Joe. welcome back. I too suffer from panic, depression, extreme anxiety, etc.

I understand you are 35 miles away from a meeting, and farther from a quality meeting, but I was wondering if you could give it a try to zero in on one guy that just might be a sponsor for you?

And something I have learned in just a year-and-a-half in the rooms is that working the steps is a daily affair.

Thanks for your post.

Oh, regarding palpitations and such, are you on a beta blocker? I think that works for me better than benzos, and I had a 10 year run on Klonopin (clonazepam) and detoxed from a prescribed dose of 20 milligrams a day.

As far as permanent damage to your heart, my detox involved four trips to the ER with BP and heart rate at stroke levels. Please don't sweat a concern of permanent damage. did your doctor give you an EKG?

Even with your previous run in with benzo detox, I suspect a couple days worth of it can't be harmful, but I am certainly no doctor and am not offering you any medical advice.

And if you are on VA disability, have you thought of applying for Social Security disability?

Good luck and thanks for coming back.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:44 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Welcome back Joe,

I've always heard the fuse never grows back, just gets shorter and burns faster, after it's put out we can never light it again or it starts where it was before.

Ive experienced that myself after 3 months, this site really helps, I hope you stick around, we could learn a lot from you.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:01 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MemphisBlues View Post
Hey, Joe. welcome back. I too suffer from panic, depression, extreme anxiety, etc.

I understand you are 35 miles away from a meeting, and farther from a quality meeting, but I was wondering if you could give it a try to zero in on one guy that just might be a sponsor for you?

And something I have learned in just a year-and-a-half in the rooms is that working the steps is a daily affair.

Thanks for your post.

Oh, regarding palpitations and such, are you on a beta blocker? I think that works for me better than benzos, and I had a 10 year run on Klonopin (clonazepam) and detoxed from a prescribed dose of 20 milligrams a day.

As far as permanent damage to your heart, my detox involved four trips to the ER with BP and heart rate at stroke levels. Please don't sweat a concern of permanent damage. did your doctor give you an EKG?

Even with your previous run in with benzo detox, I suspect a couple days worth of it can't be harmful, but I am certainly no doctor and am not offering you any medical advice.

And if you are on VA disability, have you thought of applying for Social Security disability?

Good luck and thanks for coming back.
With each passing day, I feel better and better. No booze, no benzo's, just guitar and more guitar. My BP is down to 112/72 and heart rate is 80. I am OK, thank God! I had an EKG and all is fine. I am already on Disability. I don't get very much because for 8 years of my working life I was a Postal Worker back in the 70's and we got screwed. They never took out SS on us so I don't get very much money, but we are doing OK as long as my wife works and earns what she earns. I will look into that sponsor, Thanks!
Old 03-17-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SomethingBetter View Post
Welcome back Joe,

I've always heard the fuse never grows back, just gets shorter and burns faster, after it's put out we can never light it again or it starts where it was before.

Ive experienced that myself after 3 months, this site really helps, I hope you stick around, we could learn a lot from you.

Well - I do intend to stick around. This was a scary week and it isn't over yet. I still crave a drink even after all I have been through. Glad I can be of some help around here. None of us are cured forever, remember that.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:52 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hey Bluesman, Just last night we had a talk of what I should have as a special drink , my wife drinks Fizzy wine Cava One bottle opened on Friday and poured away on Weds if any left. She offered to stop drinking but it seems unfair. She's also got to trust I won't drink it .
So she mentioned what do you want as a treat drink one the kids cant have or that has my "name on it" one with something about it. Now I love apple and elderflower juice and I thought that was good as its quite sweet and has a certain something . Now reading your post I saw an old single teapot of mine and realised that's it tea but with a ceremony .
That's maybe what you need a drink with a ceremony to replace the chianti.
John.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:11 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

What I discovered after dancing with this thing we call alcoholism for 3 decades is that your body and mind seem to have a finite amount of recovery cycles available. In my 20's I could go on a bender of epic proportions and shake it off in 3 or 4 days.

As time marches on and the decades roll by the damage begins to take its toll. The body and mind don't snap back like they used to. Each subsequent bender seems to pick up where the last one left off regardless of the amount of time that has passed.

Brain chemistry operates within a very delicate balance and each ethanol bath that you subject it to screws that up more and more. The number of drunk/sober cycles it can handle varies from person to person but it's not unlimited in anyone.

Welcome back Bluesman1952, keep on makin the music but forget about drinkin the wine.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

To Spinach and Back to square one

Spinach - Thanks for the posts. I already have somethings in mind about alcohol replacement - I love flavored coffees. Hazelnut, French Vanilla, etc. Although caffeine isn't the very best thing for the nerves, they do come de-caf too :-)
Thanks for the suggestions John.

"Back to square one": What you say is exactly what my doc says. As time Marches on, even if it isn't alcohol related, our brains can't tell sometimes what the body can and cannot do. The other day I took the bike out for the first time in years and decided to ride to the river, about 1/4 mile. Well, needless to say, I walked the bike back. Not a kid anymore but try and tell my brain that! I had a sponsor once who had a nice way of putting things. he said, our brains have these little "built-in forgetters". Like, I know how hard it has been this week on me getting through this detox, but the funny thing is, I know if I don't stick with this web site, I'll convince myself...Oh well - whats another week of detox. We forget that WE CAN DIE. Peace to all. I don't think there is ONE death certificate in the world that reads" cause of death, alcoholism. It'll say, congestive heart failure like my Mom's said. What led to the heart failure??? SCOTCH and soda!
Old 03-17-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Praise7 View Post
I stopped going to meetings, took my eyes off God. When the nuclear bomb hit, I had no tools. I went back to what I knew for pain and took up where I would have been if I had been drinking that whole 24 years. I lost everything, my career, almost my family and we are losing our house. It isn't worth it. But you know, I still want to drink. That pull was completely gone before but since I relapsed it is so strong.

Hang in there.
You're officially one of my heroes. Damn, I'm sorry for ya but I need to hear stories like that (er, my false ego and false pride need to hear em).

Welcome back.... To all of you who are back to AA.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
And the walls.....

Welcome back, glad you made it.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please remember our SR Rule 10 when shareing...thanks!

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back Joe....
Old 03-17-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Please remember our SR Rule 10 when shareing...thanks!
OOPS! - I was just really trying to reach out, but if you read my posts I was actually working with my Dr., and was curious about other people's symptoms. I know I mentioned certain drugs for withdrawal - SORRY!
Anybody reading this thread PLEASE seek medical attention if your body is giving you signs of something being wrong...Thank you!
Old 03-18-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I am 59 years old, and I guess detox is tougher as we get older

So true. How many more detox's do you have in you?
Old 03-18-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
I am 59 years old, and I guess detox is tougher as we get older

So true. How many more detox's do you have in you?
It was tough - but I was tougher
59 years old is what I am - turning 60 next week. Wish me luck, because 1 60th birthday is a big step in life and I do NOT want to slip....
Old 03-18-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
once in a . . .

Welcome Joe!
Originally Posted by Bluesman1952 View Post
I live in a very small back woods town here. I have to travel miles for a meeting.
The wine was delivered to your house on a daily basis then?

I was always told to expend as much energy in getting/maintaining sobriety as I did in getting drunk/wasted.
Sobriety is well worth the gas $$ - and is much cheaper than medical or funeral expenses.

I will try it again, but the last time I went I found most of the guys and gals were only there because there job
Is there another meeting somewhat nearby that you could check out? Even if there’s not, what matters is that YOU are there – not who else is there. Really, you DID get something from those meetings – you saw what you DID NOT want to be! Sooner or later like-minded people WILL show up. Meetings can be hard to get used to . . . but man oh man they have saved my life + my sanity. Keep trying – it’s so worth it!

I am on disability, 60 years old this month, and nobody wants me...
Hmmm . . . nobody ‘cept your wife and son . . . AND G-DAUGHTER?? Way kewl! (I've got FIVE!)
But I hear ya . . . I’m 54, on disability for 12 yrs now and yep, feels like I can’t DO anything and not WORTH anything. That’s called stinkin’ thinkin’ and it’ll get me drunk FAST if I let myself listen to it! I’ve GOT to find something for me to DO . . .

I have a recording studio in my home - time to get back writing some blues - What I really wish I had was a job.
GREAT! Something to DO!!
I hear a song in our (SR’s) future: “The 60 + Sober Blues”! “blues” being somewhat facetious of course
Pop it on YouTube and who knows?!?!

We always look for an excuse, don't we?
Yep. That’s why THIS alcoholic needs as much support as she can get! Meetings, the Forum here, the Chat Room, talking with like-minded peeps – reading helps me a lot too . . .

Glad You’re Here! Keep Coming Back!

Blue
i talk too much!

Old 03-19-2012, 03:17 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlueMoon View Post
Welcome Joe!

The wine was delivered to your house on a daily basis then?

I was always told to expend as much energy in getting/maintaining sobriety as I did in getting drunk/wasted.
Sobriety is well worth the gas $$ - and is much cheaper than medical or funeral expenses.

Is there another meeting somewhat nearby that you could check out? Even if there’s not, what matters is that YOU are there – not who else is there. Really, you DID get something from those meetings – you saw what you DID NOT want to be! Sooner or later like-minded people WILL show up. Meetings can be hard to get used to . . . but man oh man they have saved my life + my sanity. Keep trying – it’s so worth it!

Hmmm . . . nobody ‘cept your wife and son . . . AND G-DAUGHTER?? Way kewl! (I've got FIVE!)
But I hear ya . . . I’m 54, on disability for 12 yrs now and yep, feels like I can’t DO anything and not WORTH anything. That’s called stinkin’ thinkin’ and it’ll get me drunk FAST if I let myself listen to it! I’ve GOT to find something for me to DO . . .

GREAT! Something to DO!!
I hear a song in our (SR’s) future: “The 60 + Sober Blues”! “blues” being somewhat facetious of course
Pop it on YouTube and who knows?!?!

Yep. That’s why THIS alcoholic needs as much support as she can get! Meetings, the Forum here, the Chat Room, talking with like-minded peeps – reading helps me a lot too . . .

Glad You’re Here! Keep Coming Back!

Blue
i talk too much!

Thanks 4 your support. I didn't have wine delivered. I would buy a case at a time when I did food shopping, and what I meant when I said nobody wants me was, in the workforce or in a band - my age is the factor there. Peace!