Notices

Back again after years sobriety!

Old 03-14-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

i tried AA for years...wasn't for me. i went to about as hard core group as i've ever seen. some respond well, some don't. if AA isn't your thing there are tons of other GOOD ways to stay sober.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
i tried AA for years...wasn't for me. i went to about as hard core group as i've ever seen. some respond well, some don't. if AA isn't your thing there are tons of other GOOD ways to stay sober.
I live in a very small back woods town here. I have to travel miles for a meeting.
I will try it again, but the last time I went I found most of the guys and gals were only there because there job told them they had to go. Usually, they would go outside after the meeting and drink beer...I don't think I want that again. My body has gave me a warning. I never felt like this before. Age is a factor I guess. Peace!
Last time I got sober I got back into music - now I am too old. Groups don't want a 60 year old in their band, ya know? I have a recording studio in my home - time to get back writing some blues - What I really wish I had was a job.
I am on disability, 60 years old this month, and nobody wants me...
Old 03-14-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bluesman1952 View Post
I live in a very small back woods town here. I have to travel miles for a meeting.
I will try it again, but the last time I went I found most of the guys and gals were only there because there job told them they had to go. Usually, they would go outside after the meeting and drink beer...I don't think I want that again. My body has gave me a warning. I never felt like this before. Age is a factor I guess. Peace!
Last time I got sober I got back into music - now I am too old. Groups don't want a 60 year old in their band, ya know? I have a recording studio in my home - time to get back writing some blues - What I really wish I had was a job.
I am on disability, 60 years old this month, and nobody wants me...
age discrimination based on your ability to work is illegal. as far as bands go or people to play music with, you never know. alot of people post on Craig's list looking for people to form bands or even just to jam with. even older folks.

try not to get down on yourself...one thing at a time. Get well, then maybe look into other forums via google on locally based groups that play music together. i live in manassas, a good 2 hrs away from you and i always see stuff like that posted in town.

chin up bro. you'll be ok.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
age discrimination based on your ability to work is illegal. as far as bands go or people to play music with, you never know. alot of people post on Craig's list looking for people to form bands or even just to jam with. even older folks.

try not to get down on yourself...one thing at a time. Get well, then maybe look into other forums via google on locally based groups that play music together. i live in manassas, a good 2 hrs away from you and i always see stuff like that posted in town.

chin up bro. you'll be ok.
I know I'll be ok - thanks for the support - A regular life is what I want - wife and I go to work - come home - have dinner - watch TV - ......This disability thing stinks - I was forced on it by UVA hospital. I was a computer tech there, and when I started having bad panic attacks, they forced me out on disability - I had no choice - now I have no resume'.....Anything can change. I am not a quitter - Talk again my friend!
Old 03-14-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Glad you're back, go easy on yourself as you get back on this side of things. If it feels rough make yourself find and use whatever help is available to you.

Each time we get sober may contain challenges unique to that effort and it can be completely unlike our previous times. If you need more help this time, go get it. People who underestimate what they need when coming back often slip around as 5-15 years pass quickly wishing things would be as easy as they had once experienced earlier.

The problem is they are unable to accept that their condition has worsened during their period of not drinking, making them less likely to stay sober on their own, not more likely because they had made a few years.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by langkah View Post
Glad you're back, go easy on yourself as you get back on this side of things. If it feels rough make yourself find and use whatever help is available to you.

Each time we get sober may contain challenges unique to that effort and it can be completely unlike our previous times. If you need more help this time, go get it. People who underestimate what they need when coming back often slip around as 5-15 years pass quickly wishing things would be as easy as they had once experienced earlier.

The problem is they are unable to accept that their condition has worsened during their period of not drinking, making them less likely to stay sober on their own, not more likely because they had made a few years.
Thanks 4 that info...I would think the longer you are free of booze, the stronger you get, but I have now learned the opposite. This is a living hell.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Hey Bluesman, glad you're here. You learned a valuable lesson and hopefully won't repeat it. I just finished detox last week for the umpteenth time (had to do it in the hospital this time) and am on Day 9 AGAIN. But we're here and that's what matters.

I heard something today at AA that you might find humorous and applicable at the same time. A lady was having a horribly bad day and called her sponsor in tears. Her sponsor said, "Go ahead and cry, be mad, scream into a pillow, whatever you have to do. Then grab your ass with both hands ... that way you won't have a free arm to reach for a drink." Brilliant.

You'll find lots of support here.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desertsong View Post
Hey Bluesman, glad you're here. You learned a valuable lesson and hopefully won't repeat it. I just finished detox last week for the umpteenth time (had to do it in the hospital this time) and am on Day 9 AGAIN. But we're here and that's what matters.

I heard something today at AA that you might find humorous and applicable at the same time. A lady was having a horribly bad day and called her sponsor in tears. Her sponsor said, "Go ahead and cry, be mad, scream into a pillow, whatever you have to do. Then grab your ass with both hands ... that way you won't have a free arm to reach for a drink." Brilliant.

You'll find lots of support here.
That's awesome! Sounds just like me too - You know how many days I spend crying in a pillow? Pity me, right? I won't reach for a drink - I can't say what a few years down the road brings, because I have to take each day one at a time - It's a life-long struggle, for sure. Thanks for the input!
Old 03-14-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

heh Blues- i might recognize you from a long while back on SR. I got a slightly different handle here now..
thanks for sharing the message- some may be able to drink moderately again like your friend , some may not. Which one am I ? I dunno .

For all i know , i may be one of that select few who are naturally immune to Ebola virus- but i'm not really interested in running that experiment either..

What I DO know is , for the last 16 years -thanks to AA and NA, i have been handed one hell of a great life and i figure i will just "keep doing what i been doing and that way i'll keep getting what i been getting"
Old 03-15-2012, 03:20 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by macknacat View Post
heh Blues- i might recognize you from a long while back on SR. I got a slightly different handle here now..
thanks for sharing the message- some may be able to drink moderately again like your friend , some may not. Which one am I ? I dunno .

For all i know , i may be one of that select few who are naturally immune to Ebola virus- but i'm not really interested in running that experiment either..

What I DO know is , for the last 16 years -thanks to AA and NA, i have been handed one hell of a great life and i figure i will just "keep doing what i been doing and that way i'll keep getting what i been getting"
Mackncat - I used to be on here when a guy named Dan was moderator. I don't intend to drink again after this bout - My symptoms are all cleared up after 4 days of detox but today I have one hell of a headache, and I never get headaches. I still have other battles in life - I need income....I don't want to lose my home because I am on disability, and this has nothing to do with drinking. Thanks for sharing
Old 03-16-2012, 03:50 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by macknacat View Post

Hey guys - This is day 5 of detox. I still feel a bit heavy in the chest and some shortness of breath. Is this normal? I DO suffer from panic/anxiety attacks, but I wake up feeling a bit like I need to force air into my lungs. Maybe I am exaggerating a bit, but I don't know if I did damage to my heart with all those palpitations?? Any ideas? I think I read the Internet too much!
Old 03-16-2012, 04:03 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bluesman

Welcome back, although I think you may have been before my time

I think, if you feel any concern at all, the best thing is to go back to your Doctor.

None of us are Doctors - you're better off with professional guidance - and stay off 'Dr Google' - that stuff is terrifying

D
Old 03-16-2012, 04:38 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Bluesman

Welcome back, although I think you may have been before my time

I think, if you feel any concern at all, the best thing is to go back to your Doctor.

None of us are Doctors - you're better off with professional guidance - and stay off 'Dr Google' - that stuff is terrifying

D
Hi Dee - Yeah - my doc told me I read too much. I will call him and let him know what I am feeling - I am sure it is nothing life-threatening. Detoxing at home is hard, but I did it with docs help. I didn't even use the clonazapam as directed. I was afraid of getting hooked on that stuff. I just used half a dose to help me sleep the first 2 days - Now my life starts over....
Old 03-16-2012, 04:54 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hey guys - This is day 5 of detox. I still feel a bit heavy in the chest and some shortness of breath. Is this normal? I DO suffer from panic/anxiety attacks, but I wake up feeling a bit like I need to force air into my lungs. Maybe I am exaggerating a bit, but I don't know if I did damage to my heart with all those palpitations?? Any ideas? I think I read the Internet too much!
it can be normal. alcohol withdrawal is not a constant. my symptoms came and went for the duration of the detox. what you are describing is not unusual by any means. however, if you are concerned, do follow up with your doctor.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Glad your back. I threw in 24 years. It has taken me 2 rehabs since Sept and one two day detox to finally get 18 days again. Yes detox seems harder as we get older. But at least you are getting older and not dead.

Keep coming back.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Bulldog and Praise - Thanks for the posts. I am going to call the doc today just to ask questions. I feel rather good to be honest - My wife hasn't left for work yet so I am not alone - It seems when I am alone all my symptoms are worse. I probably should have followed the doc's directions better by using the clonazapam as directed. I was just afraid of it. I had to come off that once and it was worse than alcohol detox. Thanks for the input.

Joe C.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Praise7 View Post
Glad your back. I threw in 24 years. It has taken me 2 rehabs since Sept and one two day detox to finally get 18 days again. Yes detox seems harder as we get older. But at least you are getting older and not dead.

Keep coming back.
I have to ask you this, Praise7, because somebody asked me this question. I had 5 years, and you say you had 24? Congrats on that, but what was it that made YOU go back after that long of a time? Just curious....
Old 03-16-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I have to ask you this, Praise7, because somebody asked me this question. I had 5 years, and you say you had 24? Congrats on that, but what was it that made YOU go back after that long of a time? Just curious....

I stopped going to meetings, took my eyes off God. When the nuclear bomb hit, I had no tools. I went back to what I knew for pain and took up where I would have been if I had been drinking that whole 24 years. I lost everything, my career, almost my family and we are losing our house. It isn't worth it. But you know, I still want to drink. That pull was completely gone before but since I relapsed it is so strong.

Hang in there.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
Don't pick up, no matter what. Not for a B-Day, funeral, cancer diagnosis, ass falls off, whatever excuse comes to mind.....It's never a good idea for an alcoholic. Glad you made it back in one piece.
Sorry to lol, but.... 'ass falls off'.... just totally cracked me up! Love it and am going to remember it if I get tempted.

Em, re the heart rate thing - at one point I was regularly topping a 120 bpm (I'm 37 yo) without any real anxiety - I was quite worried, but also had a normal EKG. It seems to have passed now and I never really had a proper answer to what caused it (I was still binge drinking from time to time at the time, though).

Anyway, what I did find of help was distraction and relaxation. You found gardening helped, which is both distraction and relaxation. I can also recommend watching a really good, funny film, reading an engrossing book, taking a hot bubble bath, making a really good proper cup of tea (tea leaves, make a little ritual of it, that sort of thing) generally anything that makes you feel good about yourself. I echo others, if you are worried about it or it seems to be getting worse, get thyne ass to the docs again.

Take care.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:58 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Praise7 View Post
I stopped going to meetings, took my eyes off God. When the nuclear bomb hit, I had no tools. I went back to what I knew for pain and took up where I would have been if I had been drinking that whole 24 years. I lost everything, my career, almost my family and we are losing our house. It isn't worth it. But you know, I still want to drink. That pull was completely gone before but since I relapsed it is so strong.

Hang in there.
Wow! So sorry. I lost a house once but not my family. I got myself back together, but now had this slip again. Funny thing? After this week of pain? I wanna drink too. Just can't...Give it to God. Peace to you