Notices

Back again after years sobriety!

Old 03-14-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again after years sobriety!

I don't know if anybody will remember me. I don't see any of the old names but I remembered this site and re-registered. I didn't have a drink for 5 or more years, and just this November, on mu son's 18th birthday, and split a bottle of wine with him and my wife. I had no ill effects the next day, but ran to the store and bought more wine. This time just me and my wife spilt it, still no ill effects, except I continued drinking every day, a bottle or more, until this past Monday when I woke up with sever palpitations and shaking. This is day 3 and I feel good except for the heartbeat. I am 59 years old, and I guess detox is tougher as we get older. Any advice would help - I have no insurance and am detoxing home with .5 mg clonazapam twice a day prescribed by my Dr, but the heart beat scares me.

Joe C.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bluesman1952 View Post
I don't know if anybody will remember me. I don't see any of the old names but I remembered this site and re-registered. I didn't have a drink for 5 or more years, and just this November, on mu son's 18th birthday, and split a bottle of wine with him and my wife. I had no ill effects the next day, but ran to the store and bought more wine. This time just me and my wife spilt it, still no ill effects, except I continued drinking every day, a bottle or more, until this past Monday when I woke up with sever palpitations and shaking. This is day 3 and I feel good except for the heartbeat. I am 59 years old, and I guess detox is tougher as we get older. Any advice would help - I have no insurance and am detoxing home with .5 mg clonazapam twice a day prescribed by my Dr, but the heart beat scares me.

Joe C.
My sponsor was just talking to me about this yesterday. How once we start drinking again, we set up that craving for more.

We know we must never drink.

We can't take the first drink.

I must know that to drink is to die.

I must believe that, or I will give myself permission.

Why we don't think of it the same as putting a loaded gun to our head is how it was put recently to me, is amazing.

We forget about our past experience.

We think once again, this time it will be different.

I have been good. I have been sober. I will just have something to drink.

I have deluded myself again.

I have succumbed to the mental obsession again.

Welcome back.

I have had the same experience as you.

Call your doctor if you have fear over your heart.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back...I always have to ask....I learn from it...What were you doing that kept you sober for 5 years...And what did you stop doing to make you start again?
Old 03-14-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Welcome back...I always have to ask....I learn from it...What were you doing that kept you sober for 5 years...And what did you stop doing to make you start again?

Thanks to both responses...For 5 years I was NOT going to meetings because I despised them. I got back into my music and never craved alcohol again. What made me take that first drink? 2 things - A) My son's 18th birthday - He asked if I would have a drink with him. He really didn't know the dangers of booze, so I decide to have just 2 glasses of wine with no effect at all. B) I have a cousin who is 10 years older than me and was an alcoholic all his life. H quit for 8 years cold turkey, then his Dr. suggested 2 glasses of wine a day to help with his pressure. Ever since then, all he has had are those 2 glasses a day, so I thought I could do it. P.S. - I did see my Dr. and he said I was having panic/anxiety attacks - EKG normal.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just curious...Did you ever work the steps?
Old 03-14-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Just curious...Did you ever work the steps?
Been through it all Sapling- All I can say is I should have known better
Old 03-14-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

At least you made it back....Are you going to try something different this time?
Old 03-14-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting your experience. Welcome back
Old 03-14-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Joe C.
Don't drink, go to meetings, get a sponsor and work the steps.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

18 isn't a legal age to drink anymore......and there's better ways to deal with pressure than to suggest a recovering alcoholic have 2 drinks a day......

Best wishes,
Old 03-14-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
18 isn't a legal age to drink anymore......and there's better ways to deal with pressure than to suggest a recovering alcoholic have 2 drinks a day......

Best wishes,
I know 18 isn't legal age, in bars anyway, but "normal" families have wine at the table on holiday's and other festive days all the time. We always look for an excuse, don't we? And to find a DR that suggests 2 glasses of wine a day for pressure? ( I meant blood pressure anyway), that's the perfect DR. for me. One who says JUST what I want to hear. I guess I should have been clearer in my original post. I am detoxing on my own at home with prescribed meds. My heart races. Anything to do about it? It's day three. I forget how long it took me the first time I detoxed....I could easily take a beer and all symptoms will vanish, but instead I chose to come here.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The only advice I could give you...Is don't take the beer....Are you going to continue with AA?....Or find another way...That's your call. I know you despise meetings...I despise detoxing...Anyways...I'm glad you're here and best of luck.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Well done for coming here. Its a good place. As for your heart - im de-toxing atm and my heart is racing too. I think its a withdrawal effect. But Im not a doctor, so I suggest you call one if it gets worse, or you are worried.
Best of luck.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

It's something when I hear that a glass or 2
a day is good for one's health, or that there is
an agent in wine that is good for my health...
shhheesh, one glass....you say 2 glasses....
there is no one or 2 glasses to satisfy my
cravings for it. It never did 21 yrs ago nor
will ever be yrs from now.

We are never too old to stop drinking or using.
Ive seen youngster turn their lives around as
well as older folks living a healthier happier way
of life without poison killling them.

You have the tools and knowledge of recovery
to guide you along ur journey. Today its not
just about not drinking or using but rather
incorperating those tools and knowledge into
ur everyday life and giving it away to those
who are still suffering with addiction.

The more you share ur own ESH with others
of what your life was like before, during and
after ur drinking career, the more quality sobriety
you will have. Not quantity but quality sobriety/recovery.

Doing this has given me an awesome purpose
in life and not just not drinking because im helping
others and living my program in my everyday
life and have been doing so for the last 21 yrs.

So can you.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Joe C.
Joe, be VERY VERY careful with the clonazapam. it's EXTREMELY addictive and shouldn't be used for more than a week at a time. you're on 1mg a day which is a bit on the high side for a detox. if you think alcohol withdrawal is unpleasant, the clonazapam withdrawal is 100 times worse if you get hooked.

the heart racing usually goes away within a week. good luck and stay close. it wouldn't hurt to monitor your pluse and blood pressure a few times a day till the detox is over too. detoxing is definately harder on the ol' ticker the older you get.

welcome back.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks to all

I am going to give meetings another try. I was sober 5 years without a meeting. For me it is all will power. I have been drinking all my life. As a musician, that's what I did - A case of beer at band practice was the norm for the 60's and 70's. I quit drinking 50 times I bet, but always have a slip here and there. One day at a time is how I live. I am older now. The next binge could be deadly. I am not going to have the beer to relieve symptoms. Tomorrow will be better, and Friday will be better than tomorrow. When my son turns 21, I hope I am here to tell him NO....can't join you this time son LOL!!!

Thanks again to all and please stay in touch with me...I need support outside of meetings. I live in the woods, 35 miles from anything and the way gas is, going to meetings isn't all that easy....
Old 03-14-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
High on Life

Don't pick up, no matter what. Not for a B-Day, funeral, cancer diagnosis, ass falls off, whatever excuse comes to mind.....It's never a good idea for an alcoholic. Glad you made it back in one piece.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
Joe, be VERY VERY careful with the clonazapam. it's EXTREMELY addictive and shouldn't be used for more than a week at a time. you're on 1mg a day which is a bit on the high side for a detox. if you think alcohol withdrawal is unpleasant, the clonazapam withdrawal is 100 times worse if you get hooked.

the heart racing usually goes away within a week. good luck and stay close. it wouldn't hurt to monitor your pluse and blood pressure a few times a day till the detox is over too. detoxing is definately harder on the ol' ticker the older you get.

welcome back.
BULLDOG777 - The Dr said .5mg twice a day, but he also said "as needed". If I don't feel the palpitations, I don't take it. He only gave me enough for a week. Haven't taken any today - I was gardening instead. Thanks for your concern - I had to come off Klonopin once on my life and it was a horror show. He just felt that at my age, I needed something to calm me if I was doing this alone. I call him every day. Today my pressure is 120/74 but pulse 98. That's a tad high. Tomorrow maybe better!
Old 03-14-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
Don't pick up, no matter what. Not for a B-Day, funeral, cancer diagnosis, ass falls off, whatever excuse comes to mind.....It's never a good idea for an alcoholic. Glad you made it back in one piece.

Thanks!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am going to give meetings another try. I was sober 5 years without a meeting. For me it is all will power.
You might want to go through those steps again...Hang in there.