Notices

1st post and I need help

Old 03-18-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1st post and I need help

My father's heart isn't strong. It's only working at 20% because he had a heart attack 5+ years ago. The doctors told him recently that if he takes his medicine he can get it to 60% but if he drinks, he dies!

My father have been a drinker for over 35 years. He smells like alcohol all the time. He say he haven't drink in 5 weeks but whenever he leaves he smell like alcohol when he comes back. There is a liquor store around the corner from where I live, he also don't drive too. Whenever he come back from walking he smells like alcohol. One day he left for a few hours, to take care of business. He came home and smell like alcohol. I had him with me for a few hours and he still smelled like alcohol. We ran errands for 6 hours and he still smell like it. He decide to grill some food, and did it for a few hours and didn't smell like it. He then went in to take a shower, and came out smell like alcohol.

My father hates hard liquor, but will loves Malt Liquor. Can he be telling the truth and it just him finally detoxing out of his body or is he still drinking?
Old 03-18-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Friends & Family of Alcoholics section will also help you. But to answer your question, he is probably drinking. It should only take 1-3 days for the body to physically rid itself of booze.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Random Guy

My guess would be drinking. Go to the liquor store and ask the clerk if he has been buying any, if he dosen't drive and has a bad heart I guarente he isn't going far to get it if he is.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So he just left, smelling like liquor, and cameback not smelling like it. WTF. Is it my brain associating alcohol with him?
Old 03-18-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Random Guy

You got me on that one, but my sugestion still stands.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am an alcoholic,and when I was drinking I would get very creative to cover up my drinking. Even though it was no secret,and I knew it.
If he did indeed quit drinking,as the above poster said. The alcohol aroma should be gone in 2 or 3 days tops. With most the alcohol smell is gone in 12 hours or so.
Fred
Old 03-18-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Have you spoken with him and asked him what's up? It's never too late to stay stopped, but he has to be the one to work on it.

Hugs,
Old 03-18-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Confront him!
Old 03-19-2012, 05:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

Sorry to know of your Dad's poor health...drinking or not.

Please click on the link below .it's to our Forum for Friends & Family

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information