Notices

alcohol and weight

Old 02-28-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

alcohol and weight

As anyone put weight on since drinking or have quit drinking and gained weight.

Before I got my implant in my arm tonight the nurse had to way me and I have gained 3 stone but it only seems since I started drinking again, because when I had my son may last year I went for a 6week check up with the doctor (at the time I wasn't drinking I had been clean for months) I had lost 3 stone within that 6 weeks of my son being born but now I have gained that back

Now I have to go on a diet I been told to quit the beer for a start which I'm trying
Old 02-28-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
<3 RB u saved my heart <3

alcohol is empty calories. it isnt nutritious to your body it just adds calories to your day. i didnt change anything about my life(diet,exercise) i just gained weight from drinking. now that im quitting drinking im sure ill lose weight.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

I feel like an umper lumpa lol I should be between 7-10 stone for my height
Old 02-28-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have it on good authority that beer can make ya fat~~~
Old 02-28-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Who's that picture of scrambled
Old 02-28-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Its not me, i can tell you that. i found it on a google search for "beer belly"
Old 02-28-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

He looks like he's gonna have an heart attack one day - I'm not that big but if I keep drinkinin ill end up looking like that I don't fancy looking 20 year pregnant lol
Old 02-28-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Drinking**
Old 02-28-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dawnie,

A couple of years ago, in January of 2010, I started drinking heavily again after a brief period of abstinence. For the first 10 months, I gained some weight but managed to stay somewhat in shape through lots of exercise. But,I was looking at some photos from that time period, and I noticed that between november and december of that same year, I put on nearly 30 pounds in just that short period of time. I had holed up in my apartment and was drinking heavily pretty much nonstop, and consuming lots of fatty foods. I think what must have happened is that my liver became so clogged up with gunk, that I was no longer able to metabolize all those empty calories as well and hence put on all that weight in barely eight weeks.

Why do we do this to ourselves?
Old 02-28-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scrambled2012 View Post
Its not me, i can tell you that. i found it on a google search for "beer belly"
Yikes! I've seen this photograph before, and wow. That has to be ascites setting in, and not merely an accumulation of fat, don't you think? That poor man...
Old 02-28-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have been abstinent from alcohol for almost 8 months and I can eat whatever I want and not gain weight. Alcohol contributed to weight gain for me and since quitting, I've lost 40lbs. That's one of the my favorite things about being sober. I hope you find something that works for you soon. Life without alcohol is much better.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A lot of alcoholics tend to gain weight when they quit, I think because their appetite comes back to normal. Well, for me I actually tend to lose weight when I stop drinking for periods of time. I feel like beer only adds excess fat and I feel slobbish after a few weeks of drinking.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Dawnie, when I quit drinking I lost nearly 30 pounds in just a couple of months without even trying. I ate like a pig when I drank and now I have much less of an appetite, so I'm sure that is helping, plus I'm eating healthy when I do eat. But also, I've eliminated a TON of empty calories from my diet by not drinking and I have lost that "alcoholic bloat" too, so that must have contributed too. Soooo many health "plus's" since we quit. Amazing, the healing capacity of the human body, even after many, many years of abuse. Miraculous, really.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

hi Dawnie

Its 2 months for me since I stopped(though had 2 glasses of wine 1 night a few weeks ago) I've lost 20 pounds in weight despite eating lots of choc and cakes. Alcohol is just full of empty calories 1 bottle of wine has about 600-800 calories in it. I was drinking 1 1/2 bottles of wine a day so when i stopped that's 1000 calories reduced per day. Also when I was drinking I ate more the next day due to hangover etc. So I don't want to eat as much now tho not consciously on a diet.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by dawnie24 View Post

Before I got my implant in my arm tonight the nurse had to way me and I have gained 3 stone but it only seems since I started drinking again, because when I had my son may last year I went for a 6week check up with the doctor (at the time I wasn't drinking I had been clean for months) I had lost 3 stone within that 6 weeks of my son being born but now I have gained that back

Now I have to go on a diet I been told to quit the beer for a start which I'm trying
You don't need to go on a diet, just quit drinking. Alcoholism full of calories and anyone will tell you puts weight on drastically.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by dawnie24 View Post

You don't need to go on a diet, just quit drinking. Alcohol is full of calories and anyone will tell you puts the weight on drastically.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Dawnie, they're right. Whenever I quit, the pounds fly off. It's not just fat - when you're drinking your body becomes aware that it's constantly being dehydrated and filled with toxins, so your cells retain fluid as a kind of backup - Google it and see what I'm talking about. A lot of the weight you're carrying will be bloat, and it's the first thing to go when your body starts to trust that you're going to stop abusing it for a minute. Do you remember that show You Are What You Eat? Remember how Gillian used to put the fatties on a healthy diet and in, like 2 weeks, they'd gone streamlined? Lost the bloat. Good luck hon, that Manchester winter's almost over. Get your walking shoes on!
x
Old 02-29-2012, 12:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Last year, I did not quit fully but cut waaay back for about 6 months. Drank in moderation maybe 3-6x a month and even then, the weight melted off. It was awesome. Had not been so thin in years. Of course, as soon as I returned to my near nightly binges, it came back as quickly as it came off. Bummer. I think its definitely a combo of extra calories from alcohol, eating crap when drunk, and not having the energy or drive to work out the day after.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by F355 View Post
Dawnie,

A couple of years ago, in January of 2010, I started drinking heavily again after a brief period of abstinence. For the first 10 months, I gained some weight but managed to stay somewhat in shape through lots of exercise. But,I was looking at some photos from that time period, and I noticed that between november and december of that same year, I put on nearly 30 pounds in just that short period of time. I had holed up in my apartment and was drinking heavily pretty much nonstop, and consuming lots of fatty foods. I think what must have happened is that my liver became so clogged up with gunk, that I was no longer able to metabolize all those empty calories as well and hence put on all that weight in barely eight weeks.

Why do we do this to ourselves?
I don't think we realise what we are doing when we drink and don't think bout our weight just think of our fix and drinking then next day do the same
Old 02-29-2012, 03:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by 1983ritag View Post
I have been abstinent from alcohol for almost 8 months and I can eat whatever I want and not gain weight. Alcohol contributed to weight gain for me and since quitting, I've lost 40lbs. That's one of the my favorite things about being sober. I hope you find something that works for you soon. Life without alcohol is much better.
If I eat what I want ill become a balloon - your lucky