Notices

alcohol and weight

Old 03-12-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flower43 View Post
I haven't lost any weight since quitting drinking. I have been sober about 70 days, have been eating healthy food and exercising, but actually GAINED three pounds this past month. (In addition to the 40 I gained while being a binge drinker) DEPRESSING!

I am also in my 40's so that may have something to do with it. Hoping the metabolism speeds up as my exercise regimen is increased. Overall I feel healthy and better but really dislike that I feel so blubbery and probably look like a fat slob. I just want to fit into my old clothes again and feel normal.
Try Dr. Gundry Diet Evolution. I lose weight on it even when drinking. Now that I am stopping drinking I expect the weight just roll off.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
LDT

Maybe I'm the only person around that has actually gained weight in the 13 months I've been sober. But that is a GOOD thing for me because I had quit eating completely at the end of my drinking career. Back then, even if I did try to eat I threw it up. It was awful. I was horribly under weight. These days I eat well, work out and am happily a little heavier than a year ago.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
In love with life.

When I came out of two 30 day inpatient programs, both pretty much back to back I had lost 35lbs. I was able to keep it off but as soon as I relapsed and went on a two month bender, I piled all the weight back on. Now I'm struggling with both the booze and the weight. I have cut down on my drinking and go to the gym for cardio and resistance training 4-5 times a week. I know that if I put the bottle down for a month, my jeans will be hanging off me again. Thats some good motivation to NOT drink!
Old 03-17-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

No matter how hard I try to hide my drinking when I relapse, the weight gain is always the dead give away. I can pack on 30-35lbs VERY fast, drinking 3000 calories a day in booze and soda, then binge eating while drunk at 3am, combined with zero physical activity.

But when I give up the drink and get back on track, that weight falls right back off with almost no effort, usually with in 2 months.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I reckon I've lost about 3-5kg since I stopped drinking five weeks ago and I've actually been eating more. Sometimes because I have a regular appetite again, sometimes as a treat for myself because, hey, at least it's not booze!

In my experience the best thing to do to lose weight is ashtanga yoga. It also improves balance and posture enormously. You will be surprised how difficult it is to hold a downward dog position for a minute or two!