Notices

alcohol and weight

Old 02-29-2012, 03:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by eh1988 View Post
A lot of alcoholics tend to gain weight when they quit, I think because their appetite comes back to normal. Well, for me I actually tend to lose weight when I stop drinking for periods of time. I feel like beer only adds excess fat and I feel slobbish after a few weeks of drinking.
That's what's happened to me - its like if you smoke and give up you put weight on I know a lot of people that have quit smoking and gained a lot of weight and I also know people who have been on alcohol and put loads of weight on my sister once went up to size 22 she lost loads of weight 2 year ago and she was drinking heavily every night but she was so depressed she weren't eating and she went smaller than me I was NOOOOOOOO now I'm fatter than her lol
Old 02-29-2012, 03:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by desertsong View Post
Dawnie, when I quit drinking I lost nearly 30 pounds in just a couple of months without even trying. I ate like a pig when I drank and now I have much less of an appetite, so I'm sure that is helping, plus I'm eating healthy when I do eat. But also, I've eliminated a TON of empty calories from my diet by not drinking and I have lost that "alcoholic bloat" too, so that must have contributed too. Soooo many health "plus's" since we quit. Amazing, the healing capacity of the human body, even after many, many years of abuse. Miraculous, really.
I don't really have an appetite when I'm drinking because I like to get drunk and I got it into my head if I eat well drinking I will not get drunk - but then I wonder why I feel like crap the next morning and then I won't eat coz I feel like crap but then night comes ill order a fatty takeaway
Old 02-29-2012, 03:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by justhadenough View Post
hi Dawnie

Its 2 months for me since I stopped(though had 2 glasses of wine 1 night a few weeks ago) I've lost 20 pounds in weight despite eating lots of choc and cakes. Alcohol is just full of empty calories 1 bottle of wine has about 600-800 calories in it. I was drinking 1 1/2 bottles of wine a day so when i stopped that's 1000 calories reduced per day. Also when I was drinking I ate more the next day due to hangover etc. So I don't want to eat as much now tho not consciously on a diet.
Its surprising how much calories are in alcohol ... Some people stay slim though well drinking how they do it I never know
Old 02-29-2012, 03:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by lillyknitting View Post
You don't need to go on a diet, just quit drinking. Alcoholism full of calories and anyone will tell you puts weight on drastically.
I prefer to go on a diet - I walked all they way from the clinic to my bfs aunts (that was along way) then I walked from his aunts to my house, and it made me realise how unhealthy I actually am my legs were sore my ankles felt like they were gonna snap I went into a sweat, so I'd diet as well as quit drinking
Old 02-29-2012, 04:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by stillsleeping View Post
Hi Dawnie, they're right. Whenever I quit, the pounds fly off. It's not just fat - when you're drinking your body becomes aware that it's constantly being dehydrated and filled with toxins, so your cells retain fluid as a kind of backup - Google it and see what I'm talking about. A lot of the weight you're carrying will be bloat, and it's the first thing to go when your body starts to trust that you're going to stop abusing it for a minute. Do you remember that show You Are What You Eat? Remember how Gillian used to put the fatties on a healthy diet and in, like 2 weeks, they'd gone streamlined? Lost the bloat. Good luck hon, that Manchester winter's almost over. Get your walking shoes on!
x
I will google it after ... I feel bloated all the time but when I do eat I puke it back coz when I was 16 I started making myself sick coz I got called a fat bitch ugly cow etc I went to a size 10 but then I got pregnant with my eldest now 5 and I carried on making myself sick and carried it on for yrs but I was drinking too so only lost abit of weight, so now whatever I eat I puke or if it donr come up then I make myself sick
Old 02-29-2012, 04:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by babycat View Post
Last year, I did not quit fully but cut waaay back for about 6 months. Drank in moderation maybe 3-6x a month and even then, the weight melted off. It was awesome. Had not been so thin in years. Of course, as soon as I returned to my near nightly binges, it came back as quickly as it came off. Bummer. I think its definitely a combo of extra calories from alcohol, eating crap when drunk, and not having the energy or drive to work out the day after.
I kinda like get taxis everywhere I need to stop
Old 02-29-2012, 04:22 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
So it goes

cut down and taxis and drink dawnie, and you will be able to afford a mansion!!
Old 02-29-2012, 04:22 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

I bought loadsa fish today my bf decided to get 2 trout I have no idea how to cook em but I know what I will be eatin later lol fish, I got tins of mackeral and tuna too and I'm drinking bottles of flavoured water ..

I was wondering too does enegery drinks put weight on you coz I've been drinking a lot of that recently
Old 02-29-2012, 04:23 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by BillyPilgrim View Post
cut down and taxis and drink dawnie, and you will be able to afford a mansion!!
I will try RE : taxis less I walked miles last night
Old 02-29-2012, 04:25 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
So it goes

They are full of sugar, for people who are working out and need the cals. You will find with quitting drink that your body shouts for the calories you used to drink (all empty) and you are probably thirsty all the time, because your body was used to calories via booze, so thinks they will come the same way.
Drink water and tea, and low cal drinks or juice
Old 02-29-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

That's rough. Sounds like you're carrying a lot of problems right now - are you getting any help for the bulemia?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Sober is Better

when i drank i lost weight, but i also never ate. I'd go 2-3 days no meals after that maybe 1 meal a day. went from 260lbs down to 205lbs. when i quit drinking for 4 months on my own last year my appetite came back and since i have a desk job i shot back up to 230 in a matter of months. so now i gotta get back to the gym. 205-220 is a good weight for me being 6'5"
Old 02-29-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
~sb

One's diet is what they consume. Try eating a well balanced healthy diet. Make sure you are active. It will all balance out!

Everyone is different. Lots of factors to consider when living a healthy life.

You are young and with proper eating and movement, you'll look be healthy soon!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Last year I took a break from drinking when my body just had enough after years and years of drinking heavily, and my liver wasn't getting along with me (at 31 years old). I was able to quit for 6 weeks cold turkey and lost 30 lbs with no effort at all. After those 6 weeks I thought I could just drinking moderately and only on weekends...wrong! 30 lbs came back almost instantly and I was back to my old self. So I think if you don't indulge in comfort food to makeup for the alcohol, you will def lose weight without it.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by BillyPilgrim View Post
They are full of sugar, for people who are working out and need the cals. You will find with quitting drink that your body shouts for the calories you used to drink (all empty) and you are probably thirsty all the time, because your body was used to calories via booze, so thinks they will come the same way.
Drink water and tea, and low cal drinks or juice
So energy drinks outta the question ... I have a cup of tea in the morning sometimes during the day and one before I go to bed - I mainly drink juice or diet coke or energy drinks
Old 02-29-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by stillsleeping View Post
That's rough. Sounds like you're carrying a lot of problems right now - are you getting any help for the bulemia?
No and I'm used to I haven't been sick so far today so all is good so far
Old 02-29-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by WhySoSerious View Post
when i drank i lost weight, but i also never ate. I'd go 2-3 days no meals after that maybe 1 meal a day. went from 260lbs down to 205lbs. when i quit drinking for 4 months on my own last year my appetite came back and since i have a desk job i shot back up to 230 in a matter of months. so now i gotta get back to the gym. 205-220 is a good weight for me being 6'5"
Get down between 205lb-220lb that way your jus right and 6'5" I'd look like a midget standing next to you lol
Old 02-29-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
One's diet is what they consume. Try eating a well balanced healthy diet. Make sure you are active. It will all balance out!

Everyone is different. Lots of factors to consider when living a healthy life.

You are young and with proper eating and movement, you'll look be healthy soon!
Thank you
Old 02-29-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by NoTime4Tricks View Post
Last year I took a break from drinking when my body just had enough after years and years of drinking heavily, and my liver wasn't getting along with me (at 31 years old). I was able to quit for 6 weeks cold turkey and lost 30 lbs with no effort at all. After those 6 weeks I thought I could just drinking moderately and only on weekends...wrong! 30 lbs came back almost instantly and I was back to my old self. So I think if you don't indulge in comfort food to makeup for the alcohol, you will def lose weight without it.
I'm on a fish diet again its what helped me last time
Old 02-29-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I quit drinking on December 6th 2011. Since then (almost 3 months) I've dropped 30 lbs (2.14 stone).

I changed nothing about my diet or exercise. One week ago today I started a ketogenic diet and in that week have dropped another 5 lbs (0.36 stone).

The weight loss has really been a motivating factor to not drink again. I wish you the best of luck.