Notices

alcohol and weight

Old 02-29-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Feel sick
Old 03-02-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I was always extremely thin while drinking. I drank Vodka with diet mixers and LOTS of it. And I barely ate and still made myself go to the Gym. I have wound up in ICU several times with dangerously low potassium, magnesium and very dehydrated, blood cells way out of whack since alcohol prevents your body from absorbing vitamins and causes severe deficiency . The last time I was there my Dr. sat down and told me I was killing myself "Seriously, like Nicholas Cage died in Leaving Las Vegas". Since I've quit I have gained weight and it bothered me at first b/c I was used to seeing a certain number on the scale but I am so much more healthier now and everyone tells me I look much better now also, most importantly I FEEL so much better.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I gained weight when I quit drinking...and I was already heavier than I wanted to be....

Gaining had nothing to do with the fact that I'd stopped drinking though.....it had everything to do with the fact that I acted like a slave to pleasure and once the pleasure of booze went away, I replaced it with the pleasure of eating. "Just stopping drinking" doesn't guarantee anyone they'll lose that unwanted weight.... you actually have to eat like a person who wants to lose weight and exercise like a person who wants to be healthy.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by Cindi74 View Post
I was always extremely thin while drinking. I drank Vodka with diet mixers and LOTS of it. And I barely ate and still made myself go to the Gym. I have wound up in ICU several times with dangerously low potassium, magnesium and very dehydrated, blood cells way out of whack since alcohol prevents your body from absorbing vitamins and causes severe deficiency . The last time I was there my Dr. sat down and told me I was killing myself "Seriously, like Nicholas Cage died in Leaving Las Vegas". Since I've quit I have gained weight and it bothered me at first b/c I was used to seeing a certain number on the scale but I am so much more healthier now and everyone tells me I look much better now also, most importantly I FEEL so much better.
Is that a film leaving las vegas?! - soz I'm half asleep
Old 03-02-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
I gained weight when I quit drinking...and I was already heavier than I wanted to be....

Gaining had nothing to do with the fact that I'd stopped drinking though.....it had everything to do with the fact that I acted like a slave to pleasure and once the pleasure of booze went away, I replaced it with the pleasure of eating. "Just stopping drinking" doesn't guarantee anyone they'll lose that unwanted weight.... you actually have to eat like a person who wants to lose weight and exercise like a person who wants to be healthy.
Ill be walking tomorrow I'm taking my kids out on their bikes can't wait really excited
Old 03-02-2012, 10:05 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I lost a bunch of weight when I quit drinking (almost six months ago). Just stopping the cycle made the pounds drop off without other changes. And now I couple it with yoga and pilates plus a healthy diet. The results have been amazing! I went from a US size 14-16 to a size 6...and plan on rocking a bikini this summer. I'm so much happier in every way now. And my anxiety is almost completely gone. Good luck to you along your journey! xo
Old 03-02-2012, 10:54 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Re:put on weight.

Put on weight? That’s an understatement. Before I sobered up I was 200 pounds and in the best shape of my life. Since I've sobered up, I've gained 50 pounds, have more jelly rolls than Dunkin' Donuts and lost all my hair. What the heck happened? If you can figure it out please tell me. So until then, let's stay sober together, shall we?
Old 03-03-2012, 01:51 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by kcvalentine View Post
I lost a bunch of weight when I quit drinking (almost six months ago). Just stopping the cycle made the pounds drop off without other changes. And now I couple it with yoga and pilates plus a healthy diet. The results have been amazing! I went from a US size 14-16 to a size 6...and plan on rocking a bikini this summer. I'm so much happier in every way now. And my anxiety is almost completely gone. Good luck to you along your journey! xo
Thank you - I'm sick of the way I look it puts me down
Old 03-03-2012, 01:53 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by MrDavid View Post
Put on weight? That’s an understatement. Before I sobered up I was 200 pounds and in the best shape of my life. Since I've sobered up, I've gained 50 pounds, have more jelly rolls than Dunkin' Donuts and lost all my hair. What the heck happened? If you can figure it out please tell me. So until then, let's stay sober together, shall we?
How the hell did you lose your hair lol? And what about goin gym?
Old 03-03-2012, 05:07 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I gained weight when I quit drinking.. towards the end I was literally starving myself and completely malnourished. Course, then a few months later I got pregnant and now have a fabulous 2 year old. I joined weight watchers and lost about 60 pounds and look/feel better than I have in almost 20 years.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I haven't lost any weight since quitting drinking. I have been sober about 70 days, have been eating healthy food and exercising, but actually GAINED three pounds this past month. (In addition to the 40 I gained while being a binge drinker) DEPRESSING!

I am also in my 40's so that may have something to do with it. Hoping the metabolism speeds up as my exercise regimen is increased. Overall I feel healthy and better but really dislike that I feel so blubbery and probably look like a fat slob. I just want to fit into my old clothes again and feel normal.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Its horrible when you put weight on aren't it I feel horrible
Old 03-04-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
I gained weight when I quit drinking.. towards the end I was literally starving myself and completely malnourished. Course, then a few months later I got pregnant and now have a fabulous 2 year old. I joined weight watchers and lost about 60 pounds and look/feel better than I have in almost 20 years.
I was thinking about going to weight watchers
Old 03-04-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Not that this is any thing really new, but I DEFINITELY see a change in my metabolism when I use weights and resistance training. Once I get some muscle on me, I find I can eat more (not an excuse to eat a ton tho!) and the fat comes off. Cardio is great and necessary but it is important to get resistance training in there too. And no ladies, you will not bulk up.
Don't half ass your workouts either. Really get your sweat on! (Assuming you are in good health of course!)
Old 03-04-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dawnie24 View Post
I was thinking about going to weight watchers
An excellent program. I have had several friends achieve some really good results from it. Too much counting for me tho!
Old 03-04-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

I lost some weight after quitting alcohol. I already was pretty small to begin with, but I've lost some bloat and bodyfat, and with the help of exercise I've added some muscle definition. More importantly, I *feel* physically and emotionally better.

dawnie, as someone else already mentioned, it sounds like you have a lot on your plate. I would worry about quitting the beer first and foremost, and worry about the weight later on. Do you have a plan or have you stopped drinking yet? I hope I'm not sounding harsh, but I'm just curious as to where you're at.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:59 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by babycat View Post
Not that this is any thing really new, but I DEFINITELY see a change in my metabolism when I use weights and resistance training. Once I get some muscle on me, I find I can eat more (not an excuse to eat a ton tho!) and the fat comes off. Cardio is great and necessary but it is important to get resistance training in there too. And no ladies, you will not bulk up.
Don't half ass your workouts either. Really get your sweat on! (Assuming you are in good health of course!)
Lol I need to do something
Old 03-05-2012, 03:01 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by midgetcop View Post
I lost some weight after quitting alcohol. I already was pretty small to begin with, but I've lost some bloat and bodyfat, and with the help of exercise I've added some muscle definition. More importantly, I *feel* physically and emotionally better.

dawnie, as someone else already mentioned, it sounds like you have a lot on your plate. I would worry about quitting the beer first and foremost, and worry about the weight later on. Do you have a plan or have you stopped drinking yet? I hope I'm not sounding harsh, but I'm just curious as to where you're at.
I'm not good with plans lol I always find an excuse to have a drink
Old 03-05-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Originally Posted by dawnie24 View Post
I'm not good with plans lol I always find an excuse to have a drink
I hear ya. I did that for years too, and my brain would find any insidious way to keep me drinking. Life has been good since I've stopped.

Don't get too hung up on your weight, dawnie. We all want to be healthy and look good, but quitting alcohol is the essential first step. I used to work out like crazy while I was still drinking, and I'm talking pretty intense stuff like Crossfit, heavy strength and circuit training, etc. I managed to drink alcoholically and pass my police fitness tests. I could go to the gym completely hung over and mentally push through it to 'get er done!'

But it was like trying to run up a down-moving escalator. It was always hard, I was over-exerting myself, and ultimately I was exhausted and had to fall down. I looked like crap, I often had chest pains, heart arrythmias (and I was in my 20s), I was bloated, etc. It was too much stress on my body, and despite working out I ultimately wasn't looking after myself.

I don't work out the way I used to. Since I quit drinking I've been going to karate a few days a week, and that's it. I've lost a few inches of fat around my midsection, but I don't weigh myself. I feel physically and emotionally better. I've learned to slow down.

I know you're more concerned about weight loss moreso than hardcore fitness, but I just thought I'd share my experience. Look after yourself, dawnie.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Lot of friends on my fb list do that they go to the gym hung over but if that was me I would of had a panic attack