Notices

Moderation Management

Old 01-26-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think the Kishline story tells us anything more than active alcoholics can find themselves in ever more tragic circumstances.

As she left MM, I think her personal story is OT to this thread.

D
Old 01-26-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I personally have nothing against MM and have no problem recommending that people who are considering a moderation path check it out. It's an interesting approach and I imagine it helps some.

I say that even though it didn't work for me. I tried it, and could not get past the first challenge, which was to abstain for a month. For me, anything that left open the option of drinking was doomed to failure. Nothing has ever worked for me other than an absolute commitment never to drink again (not drinking "just for today" didn't do much for me either, since it left open the option of drinking tomorrow).

The thing is that my month in MM helped me to see that I could not moderate. And the group gave me no judgment about that: their stance was "okay then, moderation obviously isn't for you, you're someone who needs to totally abstain". Nothing wrong with that.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I really didn't mean my post to look like a slam on MM.... As the facts showed, she was actually attending AA and RR meetings when the crash happened. (that, in itself, seems problematic to me - when AA's foundation is built upon one's total lack of ability to recognize the addictive voice and RR seems to be built upon one's ability to always recognize it......but I'm no expert).

What was in my mind when I put up that post was here was the FOUNDER of the program admitting that moderation didn't work for her. That doesn't mean it won't work for others but what really matters here is what the person trying to recover is willing to do / able to do.

Obviously, she wasn't able to moderate........even though she "thought" she could when she founded the program. I didn't look it up....and I won't because it doesn't really matter to me what her history is......but I'd be willing to bet she probably picked and chose what she liked from both AA and RR and never really committed to either program - so, in a way, she was once again trying to work her own version of recovery. AKA, a repeat of what led to the creation of MM.....and it didn't (obviously) work for her the second time around either.

I don't have any experience in RR but I can tell from what I've seen in 5 short years of AA meetings that EVERY single person I've seen who's gone back to drinking either didn't work the whole program or quit working it along the way.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Moderation for me is death by a 1000 cuts, slow extended torture.

Tried this so many times, and the hell of wanting more after a couple and the obsession with drink becomes manic.

Not drinking anything at all a 1000 times easier, well for me anyway.

But It may work for some, though I cant really see the point with it .
Old 01-26-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Moderation management? Sounds fun! I can invite my friends over for burgers and moderation management. And when I go out to restaurants, instead of wasting my time enjoying food or conversations, I can manage my moderation. Good times!

Maybe that works for other people, but for me, abstinence is waaaaaaay better.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

seems to me there was an experiment in the very late 60's early 70's by a married couple at the Norwalk Metropolitan Mental Hospital. Sobel? PhDs, I think. They tried to prove that through aversion therapy alcoholics could be taught to moderate. It was a huge failure.

the only reason I recall this is that my high school friend's father was a part of that experiment. He died from chronic alcoholism after numerous attempts to get well.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

LMAO oh lord, this thread is still going...

Sorry, I know it's not really that funny.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Maybe some of us subconsciously still want what we really shouldn't have?
Old 01-26-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
so why not cut it out of your life completely jojo - don't use it at all...wouldn't that be *really* controlling it?

D
Because I don't cut anything out of my life just because I can't control it...if I gain weight, I don't stop eating. If I get a speeding ticket, I don't stop driving. I look at the circumstances that got me to those points, re-evaluate my behavior and adjust accordingly. I recognize that this might not work for all but somehow applying this logic to every facet of my life has worked for me. Please don't judge, site references of failures and then say good luck dismissively. (not directed at Dee74...just talking and sharing my experience. Telling me "not" to do something didn't work in my teens and definitely doesn't work now that I'm 40. I had to come to grips with a butt ton of things, place realistic responsibility in the right place and DECIDE what I was going to do.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
BHF

Originally Posted by ElegantlyWasted View Post
I usually try to avoid posting on threads such as this because, as an alcoholic, I am extremely susceptible to the delusion that I may one day be able to control my drinking at one day on the future. Personally, I know this to be a lie for myself. My history proves it a delusion. My memory of how that 1st drink provided me with an immediate sense of relief and craving for more tells me that I couldn't sucessfully moderate. Based on my personal experience, I have immediate doubts when others bring the topic up, but I also know that each person has the right to determine if they are an alcoholic. It's not for me to make that determination.

With that being said, your post brings two questions to my mind:
1. It's not a subconscious desire because you've voiced it and apparently attempted it. Whether you've been successful or not, only you know.
2. If you know that you "shouldn't have it", why flirt with the danger of trying moderation?

Again, not trying to judge, just pointing these facts out.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:37 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
BHF

I usually try to avoid posting on threads such as this because, as an alcoholic, I am extremely susceptible to the delusion that I may one day be able to control my drinking at one day on the future. Personally, I know this to be a lie for myself. My history proves it a delusion. My memory of how that 1st drink provided me with an immediate sense of relief and craving for more tells me that I couldn't sucessfully moderate. Based on my personal experience, I have immediate doubts when others bring the topic up, but I also know that each person has the right to determine if they are an alcoholic. It's not for me to make that determination.

With that being said, your post brings two questions to my mind:
1. It's not a subconscious desire because you've voiced it and apparently attempted it. Whether you've been successful or not, only you know.
2. If you know that you "shouldn't have it", why flirt with the danger of trying moderation?

Again, not trying to judge, just pointing these facts out.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:37 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I think that's it, Elegantly..... it's a way of not having to give it up completely.

I can moderate - the problem is I don't want to. Knowing myself, sooner or later I would find an excuse to go just a teeny bit over the limit I set for myself, or make an exception to drinking X number of days because of a "special occasion."

It probably took me a year to be totally free of the obsession to drink. In the scheme of things, that's not really a huge price to pay. I just don't think you can get any better than being free from it altogether......
Old 01-26-2012, 06:38 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
I personally have nothing against MM and have no problem recommending that people who are considering a moderation path check it out. It's an interesting approach and I imagine it helps some.

I say that even though it didn't work for me. I tried it, and could not get past the first challenge, which was to abstain for a month. For me, anything that left open the option of drinking was doomed to failure. Nothing has ever worked for me other than an absolute commitment never to drink again (not drinking "just for today" didn't do much for me either, since it left open the option of drinking tomorrow).

The thing is that my month in MM helped me to see that I could not moderate. And the group gave me no judgment about that: their stance was "okay then, moderation obviously isn't for you, you're someone who needs to totally abstain". Nothing wrong with that.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that...it is obvious to me from these threads that everyone has to find what works for them. We are all working for healthy happy lives, free of things that alter us or deter us from what we are meant to be.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:40 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by instant View Post
We cannot will or train ourselves away from our biology. People with drinking problems seem to have a higher capacity to develop craving and that underpins ongoing consumption.

The other thing that seems to go along with this is wether you do or do not like "like" getting buzzed. If you don't you are probably less likely to become a problem drinker/ alcoholic.

That's my theory anyway.

My opinion is that Moderation is too much work and I have never been able to sustain it. Sobriety is sustainable, gets easier not harder with time. In my experience sobriety is a much better way to go.
I'm glad you've found what works for you!
Old 01-26-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

"With that being said, your post brings two questions to my mind:
1. It's not a subconscious desire because you've voiced it and apparently attempted it. Whether you've been successful or not, only you know."

Just 2 observations
1)Your #1 is not a question.
2)I was writing in general terms, not addressing my specific mindset. I was addressing the specific observation of a fellow member who observed that this thread has gotten surprisingly long. My specific mindset right now is "I overtly (consciously) want a drink, yet will do everything in my power not to drink for at least a month, and was and still am interested in the efficacy of such an approach."
Old 01-26-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

dub post

Last edited by ElegantlyWasted; 01-26-2012 at 06:57 PM. Reason: double post/ can't delete
Old 01-26-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
BHF

"With that being said, your post brings two questions to my mind:
1. It's not a subconscious desire because you've voiced it and apparently attempted it. Whether you've been successful or not, only you know."

Just 2 observations
1)Your #1 is not a question.
2)I was writing in general terms, not addressing my specific mindset. I was addressing the specific observation of a fellow member who observed that this thread has gotten surprisingly long. My specific mindset right now is "I overtly (consciously) want a drink, yet will do everything in my power not to drink for at least a month, and was and still am interested in the efficacy of such an approach."
Again, best wishes and good luck.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I think we all want to hang on to the notion that one day we can control our drinking. We like to drink and don't want to give it up. I lived with that for years and struggled with my drinking for many more. It gets worse and worse and the progression takes you down. Before you know it death is knocking at your door. Do you answer it and invite him in? Acceptance is key. I had to accept the fact that I could no longer drink. In fact, there was nothing enjoyable about it. I hated what I was doing. I drank because I was addicted and I couldn't rid myself of the compulsion. It is a horrible situation. I hate what I do, yet I do the same thing everyday. That is truly insanity. I had to learn and apply tools to become successful in abstinence. It just doesn't happen over night. I read this type of thread over and over again. Yes, I get it. We want to hang on to the notion of being able to drink. I've been there. On the other hand, I realize it doesn't work, not for me. I tried it and tried it again. I may still be trying it if it weren't for that uninvited guest knocking at me door. It is a harsh reality, but we all have to reach it in our own time. The bad news is, some of us run out of time before we find acceptance. I have a friend who is struggling right now. I'm watching her slip away, swallowed up by the progression. What will she lose along the way? The ultimate price is her life. If she survives, she may be without her job, her family. I despise alcohol. When it is a simple beverage, no problems. When it destroys lives, it is the devil himself. Why do we hang on? Why is it so hard to let go of? It all boils down to the roll of the dice. If you give it up for good, you have nothing to lose. If you are willing to gamble...you will go places you never imagined and not one of them good.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:11 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jojo2012
Because I don't cut anything out of my life just because I can't control it...if I gain weight, I don't stop eating. If I get a speeding ticket, I don't stop driving.
eating is an essential...and driving is an essential for a lot of us, drinking's not...unless you have a problem like I did....

but fair enough Jojo

I'm not actually trying to change your mind - you seem pretty determined and I was too for many years - drinking was 'not going to beat me' - but the funny thing? it was beating me, all the time - every time I took a drink.

Giving up that struggle set me free

I do realise we're not all the same, and you may be a different kind of drinker to me.
You'll have to find that out like I did.

I sincerely wish you the best.

D
Old 01-26-2012, 08:28 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I have to admit, I didn't read much of the replies here so this may be a bit of rehash.

Moderation Management probably works great for some people, but I know that would never work for me. I had an epiphany after being sober for about three months that I just didn't enjoy alcohol in the same way that others do (duh!). I've never been a one or two beers kind of guy. I was only ever happy drinking as much as I possibly could before passing out. My first drinking experiences were at parties as a teenager where the sole purpose was to get drunk and/or get laid, and I never really grew out of that. In fact, I don't like how it feels to just have a few: I just feel disoriented, a little less sharp and witty and I get a little sleepy. I'm only happy once I'm 6 or 7 in and then I have to keep going until I run out of booze or I just get antsy and irritable.

I would imagine that if someone had a relatively normal history of drinking, but then found themselves slipping into a period of heavier drinking and they were mindful enough to realize this and take action on it, then I suppose that MM may work for them. I do appreciate the fact that there is a wide spectrum of drinking and drinkers, but I find it to be true that once you pass a certain threshold of dependence that you are unable to return to a pattern of "normal" drinking ever again.

For me, trying to moderate is just as much of a hell as drinking myself silly every night.