Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I REALLY need help...got test results..things are bad..I don't know what to do

Notices

I REALLY need help...got test results..things are bad..I don't know what to do

Old 07-17-2011, 07:06 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Agreed. I drank trying to create "joy" in my life. I drank to escape, to forget. When our coping mechanism are destroying us, it is time to address why we drink in the first place. I had a family member scream at me to "just stop" drinking. She didn't understand there was so much more to it. To be honest, at that time, either did I. I had to dig deep to come to the realization as to why I did what I did, and why I felt, or didn't feel. It's complicated, but so simple. We gotta figure out how to stop, but first we really have to want it.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:16 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

JIreland: this is how I did it:
1) made a doctor appointment for my liver levels. You can check that off, because you have done that already.
2) After seeing the results of the levels, I finally searched on the net for local addiction therapy treatment programs. There is actually a LOT out there, if you look. I can't say I know what services are available in...Ireland, if that is where you are. But most European countries have services for the public. I started there.
3) I looked at my local AA website and went to my first meeting. But, you don't have to choose AA. There are other programs like "smart".

Please try to make a plan for your recovery. There are so many options: such as starting with detox. You can also find that service. Then there is rehab: I have actually never heard anyone in AA or elsewhere report that rehab was anything but an amazing experience.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:55 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

JIreland,

This post has me bawling because I lost a very, very dear friend of mine due to liver failure and cirrhosis of the liver.. He left far too young at the age of 29. I never had the change to sasy goodbye,

PLEASE, PLEASE get help. You must knpw you are killing yourself and you are so so YOUNG. Life hasn't even really begun yet. Don't throw it away your life - you have no idea the impact on others it will have, believe me and you ARE worth it. You can do this. Please believe in yourself and get help. Sounds like you are going to need a medical detox facility. You don't HAVE to go to AA, you can find alternatives. I've tried AA many times over the years and it is simply not for me. But you can do TONS of reading and look up alternative ways to get help, I believe Dee posted a link for you.

You are in my thoughts. Please don't let alcohol steal your life from under you. Like FT said, I want to hug you and then shake you. Please be safe. I am so glad you are here with us.

-Jess
Old 07-18-2011, 06:14 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

For me...I got into recovery because I knew I didn't want to die.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:33 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
pre-med student

Suggestion

Liver failure is a very painful and miserable way to die--it is also very slow. I would ask your doctor what to expect as your liver eventually, progressively shuts down.

As far as I know, you will not be eligible for a liver transplant due to the repeated tests they perform to check for alcohol, its metabolized byproducts, and other signs of chronic, excessive drinking. I have heard stories of these cases before.

Available human livers, as with any human organs, are not easy to come by and there is always a waiting list. A new liver will not be given to you when you have a pre-existing drinking problem, when this problem is likely what caused the damage in the first place, and when giving you a new liver only means you will destroy it and die anyway versus giving it to another patient to save a life.

I do know that if you take steps to actively address your drinking, you will become eligible for the waiting list. However, you will routinely and randomly be tested for alcohol.

Liver tissue is one of the most regenerative types in the human body; however, alcohol-induced scarring, cell death, and replacement with lipids/fats (e.g. a fatty liver) is not reversible. Still, if you do stop drinking before it's too late, you may have enough of your remaining, healthy liver tissue to make up for the lost portion. The damaged/dead portion can be surgically removed. The key here is to stop the progressive damage before it is too late. After liver failure comes kidney failure, then sepsis, then death. Again, it is very slow and reportedly extremely miserable and uncomfortable.

As with any effective, permanent recovery/solution, you have to be willing to go to any length to solve this mental (and at the moment physical) obsession. I can understand your hesitation regarding AA when living in a small town, and everyone knows everyone. Meetings are a key component of AA, yes, but they are not what it's all about. You can order an AA book, read it front to back, and see what has saved so many lives, relationships, and quality of life for millions despite that the program is only 80 or so years old. Its personal stories of alcoholics alone which make up half or so of the book would appeal to anyone especially someone in your situation.

Finally: It is in your best interest to tell your doctor you need help. I promise you that HE WILL NOT JUDGE YOU for it; he will likely ask you why you hadn't told him sooner!! The medical community does not treat alcoholism as a personal weakness, shortcoming, etc.

**If you feel you are unable to help yourself, you must ask someone else for help! Again, if not family or friends, then absolutely reach out to your doctor!

Regrets suck. Don't let this opportunity, and your life, pass you by. You have nothing to lose here except yourself.

One last note, the people in the AA meetings in your small town have learned one very important thing: to judge another is neither something they can do accurately, nor is it their role to do so--they will not hold your drinking against you. If anything, they will commend you for taking the first step toward a solution. This, I promise you!
Those outside of AA that would judge you are not friends you would want, and their opinions of others are no better than those of themselves whether they know it or not. Trust me, I've been there.

Take action today. It only gets better once you do!

-Francisco
pre-med grad, Emory U.
alcoholic/addict, sob. date: 09/25/09
Old 10-25-2011, 10:37 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Franscisco

D
Old 10-26-2011, 12:22 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
I love this place.

You came here seeking help, except the help and suggestions these experienced posters are offering.

Please talk to your doctor. My dad died Oct 3, very young age, cirrhosis of the liver. He was on the bottom of the list because he caused it himself with alcohol consumption.

You can do this! There are many options. We all know here how scary it is to decide to take a turn off the road of being a drunk to the road to recovery.... but if you see your doc they can help you plan and help you through it.

Make the choice today to not pick up another drink and get the help you need, please. It can be done.

I am praying for you, and all who are still sick and suffering, whether wanted or not
Old 10-26-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

Has anyone heard from Ireland since July, by the way? That's quite a while for the drinking and the test results they had...
Old 10-26-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
I love this place.

Originally Posted by lotusblossom021 View Post
Has anyone heard from Ireland since July, by the way? That's quite a while for the drinking and the test results they had...
Duh! I didn't even realize this was an older thread. I emailed the poster letting them know we were thinking about them and said we would love to hear how they are doing. I will let y'all know if I get response.

Meanwhile...still praying.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

oops, I wrote a reply before realizing this was an older post ..

.. Hope everything is ok.