Notices

Arranging a counseling session

Old 10-24-2011, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arranging a counseling session

I have first hand experience, as well as many of you do, in regards to TRYING to quit drinking without any help from any outside source.
In May of this year I went to two AA meetings, but didn't really get into it. I'm afraid that I wasn't that SET on quitting alcohol.
I'm not sure that I could rely solely on AA this time around either, so I have contacted a psychiatrist/counselor who has tons of experience in the "addiction" field.
Has anyone else here approached their alcoholism in this way? With help from a psychiatrist?
Old 10-24-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

That's close to what I did, but I saw a psychologist.. I was interested in the counseling piece more than the med prescribing piece. I saw him 2x a week for about 6 months and found it really helpful.. but I honestly think just about anything would have 'helped' because my commitment to sobriety and recovery was/is very strong. We talked a lot about my life, my past, my childhood.. worked on developing new 'tools' to deal with life like relaxation techniques to deal with anxiety and stress, communication techniques to improve my relationships, self forgiveness and acknowledgement of my past choices, he recommended a few books to supplement my recovery journey. We actually talked very little about drinking/alcoholism.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have a wonderful addiction counselor I see once a week. She's been a great help to me in getting and staying sober. I depend on her help and the support here at SR to stay sober. And since I'm coming up on two years sober I'd say it's working just fine.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I got started in recovery by first seeing an addictions counselor. He recommended inpatient treatment but I refused because my drinking wasn't "that bad" (denial comes in many flavors). However, he was able to talk me into attending AA, and that was the beginning of the end for my drinking.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ran that route a couple of times. Hope your results are better. I found there wasn't anyone out there I could pay enough to straighten me out.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The cost is definitely not a great aspect, I'm looking for someone who accepts my insurance but it's extremely hard to find.
We shall see, thanks for the replies!
Old 10-26-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

It's similar to the path I took.

I saw a counselor (who was a kick-a$$ alanon) to talk with at least once a week, I saw a psychiatrist for meds, I went to lots of AA meetings. I got a sponsor and met with her weekly to work the steps.

I know the counseling especially helped me in doing my 4th step. I really felt like I had dealt with many of those resentments and I had been forced to look at myself and what I was doing that wasn't working instead of blaming everyone else for my problems.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

My psych got to a point where he refused to treat me unless I started attending at least 4 AA meetings a week. Then our sessions revolved solely around recovery for about 1.5 years.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't seen a counsellor for my addictions Linz, but I think it's a step forward for you and I hope you find a good one at an affordable price

D