Notices

Wow, I'm the reason for workplace breathalyzing!

Old 12-06-2010, 06:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

That's taking the high road.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey Zube - very well done on your 16 days.

Whilst the response of your employer sucks (and I hope you won't let it upset you) it did bring back a painful memory for me. I once returned to work after a few lunch time drinks and offered to repair a scientific instrument for a colleague. In my carefree, slightly merry state I touched a live 240v conductor (unexpectedly routed to the PCB for timing synch) and was thrown across the room with a spark and a bang.

The RCD safety breaker tripped and I survived. Had it not, it could have killed me. Just another little drinking incident I'd forgotten.... serious stuff... Still, grateful to be here today (though I never did fix that gadget )
Old 12-06-2010, 06:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Without proof, since you only told them you have a problem, they better hope that they are implementing this policy consistently and to all employees. If it's just you, and based on what you only told your boss, then they have crossed the line. I would investigate further if I were in your shoes.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Absolute Evil

I told my boss about mine a couple of years ago. Thankfully, he kept it to himself... We just had a nice chat about it & he told me how it killed his dad.

Your boss sucks for going to HR for something you said in confidence. Now coming to work drunk would have been another thing...
Old 12-07-2010, 01:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

This doesn't sound legal to me. I'd also request to see your HR/personal file. You have every right legally (in the US) to see it.

I would document everything, see who else is getting the tests, and consult a lawyer. This wasn't fair.

Congrats on the sobriety tho! :-)
Old 12-07-2010, 01:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I would consult with a lawyer, but I would not do anything else unless they said I have a case and would be willing to work just for part of the winnings.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

The beautiful part about all of this is you are sober and you had the courage to be honest about your sobriety. It doesnt matter what the company says or does. The only thing that matters is that you are sober and doing the next right thing for your.

So what you found out you cant trust your boss. I think there are a lot of people out there that cant be trusted. The amazing thing is though by being sober and working recovery you will find amazing people that you can trust with your life. I have 8 females in my life today that I can tell ANYTHING too and know it stays with them.

Also I see it as more protection for you. Some people need randoms to aid them and maybe your higher power of your understanding stepped in to protect you in your workplace or to help save someone else. I believe everything happens for a reason and we learn lessons through life and we can look at them positvely and learn that lesson or be negative.

Congratulations and keep up the good work and you will be taken care of no matter what.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:36 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Test # 2

Just took my mandatory workplace breath test #2. ( Monday A.M. after the holidays, how original...)

Passed it. Got an A+.

Decided that if work is going to pull me off of what I'm doing to go take a breath test at their beckon call, there's no reason why I can't treat myself to a nice hearty breakfast on my way back to work, is there?

37 days SOBER! Got my 30 day coin last week.

Happy Holidays,

Zube
Old 12-27-2010, 10:04 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zube View Post
Just took my mandatory workplace breath test #2. ( Monday A.M. after the holidays, how original...)

Passed it. Got an A+.

Decided that if work is going to pull me off of what I'm doing to go take a breath test at their beckon call, there's no reason why I can't treat myself to a nice hearty breakfast on my way back to work, is there?

37 days SOBER! Got my 30 day coin last week.

Happy Holidays,

Zube
Congratulations Zube
Old 12-27-2010, 10:42 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

What will happen if there is a mistake on the breathalizer the next time you blow a .BAC? I would avoid mouthwash in the morning because of the high alcohol in it. Not trying to scare you but breathalizers have been known to produce errors. Ask any DUI attorney. I wish you the best because if it was me I would be filing a lawsuit in a heartbeat I would not want to work in an environment where they change company policy because of my admission to being an alcoholic. I would include that HR women you confided in to my law suit.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:59 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
High on Life

I'm curious to know if you were the only one tested when you got back, or were there actually others.......I wonder if you could ask them next time if you were the only one tested, I'm guessing they will be testing you next week after the New Year's Parties.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:04 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Yayy for the update Zube and awesome work!! Keep it going and enjoy that breakfast!
Old 12-27-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Great job ZUBE!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2010, 02:41 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

This does sound unfair, but I think it depends on the nature of the job. If a slip up while intoxicated could endanger other people, including yourself, then I would argue your supervisor has done the correct thing. In some professions, such as airline pilot, you would most likely have been dismissed. I share my addiction status with other addicts and keep it at that. In my company most guys go to the pub for lunch, so it would be interesting indeed if they implemented such a policy.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I told my boss I was an alcoholic. I had to, I was right in the middle of detoxing and couldn't work. We have random BAC AND urine test anyway.
Stay sober and you should have nothing to worry about.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:07 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Dismember

I think it's great that you're making the changes in your life that you can show them the breathalyzer tests were unneeded.

Also would join the ranks of others here who think this smacks of illegality on the job's part, though I'm not a lawyer. If nothing else, I think it's ethically bogus. Personally, I feel "not having anything to hide" does not make invasions of privacy any less wrong.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:16 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I work for a BIG organization. They recently (beginning of 2010) started random drug testing. Computerized draw of names. I have been in twice this year already. They only look for drugs..and they will haul anyone in suspected of drinking before or on the job. And they should..we generate electricity for 6 surrounding states. OSHA does random visits regularly. HR changes policy quite often. They do send mass emails of notifications of any change. The notification of the results go to my immediate supervisor. So only he..I and HR knows. If anyone tests positive..they have the option of going to rehab. If that is refused..it is immediate termination. That is how it works at my place of employment. I think it is a good suggestion (whoever posted above) for you to request to see your file any time you wish. As for your confidence being betrayed..that is just WRONG. I don't confide anything..I have learned the hard way on other issues..it just bites you in the @ss every time.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:39 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

How on earth are they going to give your random breathalyzer tests? Do you work in a police station?? If not, it's a foregone conclusion you'll have to leave work and go to some kind of lab to do it, which cuts into your productivity. Plus, are they actually saying that all employees have to abstain from alcohol entirely? What if a normie had a beer with lunch? Crazy policy.

I told my boss, he went to HR, and HR told him in no uncertain terms that employees' medical issues were theirs alone, and none of the company's business unless their performance fell off.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:44 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZZworldontheweb View Post
How on earth are they going to give your random breathalyzer tests? Do you work in a police station?? If not, it's a foregone conclusion you'll have to leave work and go to some kind of lab to do it, which cuts into your productivity. Plus, are they actually saying that all employees have to abstain from alcohol entirely? What if a normie had a beer with lunch? Crazy policy.

I told my boss, he went to HR, and HR told him in no uncertain terms that employees' medical issues were theirs alone, and none of the company's business unless their performance fell off.
I work for a construction company and my postion is IT work in the office. When they randomly drug test field workers they also pick 2-4 of us office workers and give a breathlayzer in the confrence room along with having us go into the bathroom to give urine.....It does not have to be done in a lab...
Old 12-27-2010, 05:55 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Well, I can understand it about the drugs, because drugs are illegal and it's in the company's best interest to know if an employee is breaking the law.

But regarding booze, are they saying that complete abstinence from a perfectly legal substance is a condition of employment? What's next, weigh-ins?

It seems to me that, if you are going to give someone a position of responsibility, such that they cannot be impaired while doing it, then your vetting / hiring process should weed out those whose behavior might be risky. And you should pay enough to attract candidates who will police their own behavior. Maybe that's the reason. Maybe companies try to artificially create a level of trustworthiness in their employees that their payroll doesn't justify.