Notices

Wow, I'm the reason for workplace breathalyzing!

Old 01-16-2011, 04:40 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
the illogical vulcan

I work for a major defense contractor and I know of more than one upper management type who need to avoid open flame for their own safety. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones my union and company offer several different programs for folks with issues. And recently I've made some discrete inquiries about them.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

If they are truly implementing this in the workplace and not just targeting you, everyone will be getting breathalyzed now. I'd made sure they aren't singling you out. Your boss sounds like a flakey bitch.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:33 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by Zube View Post
Just took breath test # 3. Thank GOD work makes me take these first thing in the morning so I can get back to my bottle of vodka stashed behind my computer and drink for the remainder of the day!!!

Just kidding. Passed the test...again. Got an A+.

First test 12/3/2010...... 0.00
Second test 12/23/2010........ 0.00
Third test 1/14/2011....... 0.00

Hmmmmm...??? I see a pattern forming. Think maybe I'm on the 3 week schedule?

Oh well. At least I treated myself to a good hearty breakfast again on my way back from the lab. Thanks for the unscheduled paid work break, boss.

55 Days SOBER!
Zube

Sobriety date November 21st 2010
Glad you're passing your tests with flying colors but just out of curiosity, what happens if you fail one of these tests??
Old 02-11-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Test # 4...Update...

Test # 4...

0.0000 BAC

83 Days sober...
6 AA Meetings a week...
Got a sponsor this week...
Reading the Big Book...
Using my call list...
Working the steps...
NOT drinking...

Most important, I've let go of the initial resentment that I had when I was first breathalyzed. Test me everyday if you want, no biggie, I'm sober.

ZUBE

Old 02-11-2011, 09:12 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Awesome, simply awesome.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Just amazing, simply amazing (and wonderful).

GREAT job Zube!
Old 02-11-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I would be totally pissed if I were you... and yea I hear legal. I cant believe you went in voluntarily confided in someone which I am sure was not easy for you and then they turned around and breached. What a b****.
I am sorry to also say if I were a co worker and found iut this new "policy" was implemented because of you I would be really pissed.
I hope that very insensitive HR person doesnt breach that info as well.
I have been finding lately that no matter our good intentions it is better to keep personal issues out of the work place. recently told someone some of my issues. Next thing I know I got a call from boss telling me to take some time off to get better. Too call when I was feeling better. I have been running that place for months and I was like what? turns out the new girl...the rat... wants to take over and so she just used that info against me. She professed to be my friend won my confidence and then bam...knife in back syndrome
Old 02-11-2011, 12:28 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Sheesh, why is everyone beating this dead horse? :horse (I've been dying to use that since I saw it on another thread awhile ago.)

Zube is doing fine, he isn't wasting his energy getting all resentful over the testing. He's putting his efforts into his sobriety, where it belongs.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Old 02-11-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Breathalyzers have been known to be a little bit off. There are just so many other variables that can register numbers. Especially if these "random" breathalyzers are given to you first thing in the morning. Even orange juice has a slight amount of alcohol content in it. You could be enjoying a healthy glass of OJ in the morning & and up losing your job.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I don't believe the amount of alcohol detectable in orange juice would cause anyone to lose his or her job.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I don't believe the amount of alcohol detectable in orange juice would cause anyone to lose his or her job.
I drink quite a bit of OJ in the morning and when I was on Antabuse years ago it made me sick.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
A work in progress

That's a chemical reaction. What I mean is that the level would not be sufficient to require termination of employment or discipline.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Old 02-11-2011, 11:20 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Like everyone else has told you... if they don't do it to everyone it's discrimination. I'd really be interested in keeping tabs on that.

NEVER trust that person again <~~ but go look in the mirror & give THAT person a great big hug for having done the responsible, being-accountable, forthright thing & then think how amazing that is as an alcoholic, to know what the right thing to do is & then do it... Wow!

And then you have to high five me because I'm a fellow Cup o' Pee! Pee-er Peer!!! Condition of getting my job back, random tests already in place for the entire Department state wide prior to my implosion at work, but I'm a Frequent Potty Donor & it's mandatory, not random, for the entire next year.

I didn't get the policy itself going, but I DID get how they handle self-reporting of addictions changed. As in from now on they are going to actually DO something & not just tell people, "Well... STOP." <~~ because that works so well, right?

And congrats on those days! Just smile & pee, smile & pee. ( :

PS One more thing. Watch. Your. Back. And do not ever trust that woman again.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Angry Test # 5 update, kind of disappointed...

Test # 5 Update... (for those who remember...)

Passed. Kind of disappointed though...

Here is how it played out. My wife went back to Ohio to the hospital to be by her brother's bedside in ICU due to his liver complications, as well as blood clots (he needs a new liver). They were going to put a stint in his liver, and gave him a 50% chance of survival. I was reluctant to speak about this at work, I usually keep my home life at home, and work at work (especially now). Well, after a week, I brought it up to a co-worker, as well as my boss, letting her know that if something were to happen, I may have to cut my scheduled sales trip short and go be with my wife, and possibly to a funeral.

That was yesterday morning. When I came back to the office from lunch, I coincidentally got a call from Human Resources telling me that I had to go take a breathalyzer test. The Human Resources girl simply said, "our records show that we haven't tested you in awhile, so now would be a good time." Nice timing.

I don't see it as coincidence, or random, but rather "we know that Zube is stressed out about his brother in law going into surgery, and how his wife is taking it, so let's test him to see if he drank at lunch."

I haven't touched a drink since November 21st, 2010. Saturday will be my 6 month milestone. I go to AA 5 to 7 nights a week, have a strong home group and a great sponsor, and I am working the steps. Step 4, actually. I'm trying to not be resentful, but I think that this one will make my resentment list. Actually, I'm sure it will.

I'll include this in my daily "resentment" and "forgiveness" prayers. I'll talk about it with my sponsor. I'll move forward. But I'll probably update my resume as well.

Side note: Brother in law made it thorugh 4 hour surgery last night, but for the grace of God. Still has a long recovery, more surgeries scheduled, and in need of a liver, but at least he's alive.

Thaks for letting me share...
Zube
Old 05-19-2011, 08:51 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Detach. You can't know what they are thinking, and it's none of your business anyway

I get workplace monitoring... it's computer randomized, but every now and then... vacations and such... I have to interface with them, and yeah, it sucks... and then other people get involved...

Hang in there.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:28 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hiya Zube-

Trust.

It's hard to regain. I know from experience

I was fired from my career job 3 years ago. I wish I was still there and they could test me for the rest of my life.

This isn't to say I didn't deserve it or that you even deserve to be tested, but just to show some perspective.

Keep up the GREAT work on your self and it'll fall into place.

Kjell~
Old 05-19-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I'm glad you passed. But aren't you at least a little bit resentful at management? I mean they started a new breathalyzer policy for you. I would of sued in a second for discrimination. It sounds almost as if there are people at your work that want you to fail? It's amazing that you are staying sober though. Keep up the good work.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Just For 1-

Yeah, I'm resentful. I'm trying not to be, but I am. I've heard "don't make any major life changes during your first year of sobriety", but I have a feeling that come this November, at 1 year, I'll be submitting my resume elsewhere.

I'll include this action as primary reason for departure in my exit interview.

Zube