Notices

Wow, I'm the reason for workplace breathalyzing!

Old 05-19-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Zube, I think most people in your situation would be resentful as well. I know I would. I'm in AA as well & my sponser would ask me ,"what part did I play in this situation?" I think I would stay sober just to prove the bosses wrong. Congrats again on your sobriety.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:06 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

This is why I don't trust telling my work anything. If you like or need the job, I would just deal with it, but not share these types of things with them, unless they are directly asking you something. congrats on 13 days!!!
Old 05-20-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by April999 View Post
This is why I don't trust telling my work anything. If you like or need the job, I would just deal with it, but not share these types of things with them, unless they are directly asking you something. congrats on 13 days!!!
My knee jerk reaction was to agree with this.

Although on the other hand, telling your company about your disease shows you are being proactive and in some ways forces the company to be more accepting. Sure they can randomly breathalyze or send you for urine screens, but this is par for the course at many companies. And as long as you don't come back positive, and you are reasonably good at your job, your company would be very hard pressed to ever fire you. It is hard enough to fire someone without fears of wrongful termination lawsuits, but if someone has a record of reporting their alcoholism (being proactive and responsible) and they are reasonable employees, the company could never fire you regarding your drinking (as long as there are no positive tests). I have friends in manager roles who have 'inherited' problem employees, as in, they are not good workers, and they want to let them go, but can't because the cost to hire/train and worry about wrongful termination suits is so much they don't ever want to let anyone go. He esimated that it takes years of problem behavior before a good company could fire someone (short of showing up drunk or assaulting another employee I guess). I commend you on your decision to tell your boss. Keeping it a secret would not make your alcoholism go away.