SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Wow, I'm the reason for workplace breathalyzing! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/214673-wow-im-reason-workplace-breathalyzing.html)

Zube 12-03-2010 11:19 AM

Wow, I'm the reason for workplace breathalyzing!

Told my boss at work in confidence that I was an alcoholic, and would like to start coming in 1/2 hour earlier and leave 1/2 hour earlier to make my AA meetings. She in turn told HR. HR in turn had a meeting with me this a.m. to inform me that now that I have admitted to my alcoholism that i would be subject to random breath alcohol tests, starting immediately (just got back from one, passed it by the way).

When I question HR about this due to the fact that this procedure is not in the company Drug an alcohol policy, an e-mail went out company wide announcing a change in the policy. Here it is:

The following has been added to the drug policy: “****** ****** reserves the right to use other means of drug and alcohol testing as deemed appropriate for the situation.”

Never thought I'd change corporate policy 13 days into my sobriety!

HUH!...

ZUBE

ItsMe23 12-03-2010 11:26 AM

i would be pissed,

yeahgr8 12-03-2010 11:31 AM

It doesn't really matter now that you are sober! Will be nice to keep passing those breath tests and feeling good about doing so:-)

BullDog777 12-03-2010 11:32 AM

i think it's a good idea, and it keeps people honest. imo, alcohol is no different than crack or heroin in the work place.

NYCDoglvr 12-03-2010 11:44 AM

Zube .... congratulations on 13 days. You've earned every one of them

Hooped 12-03-2010 11:52 AM

I don't think I would tell that woman anything 'in confidence' again.

That's what would **** me off, the lack of trust in confiding in her. Although I'm sure she had her reasons to justify blabbing to HR.... IMO she can't be trusted.

Congrats on 13 days Zube.

Fandy 12-03-2010 11:53 AM

what everyone says is valid...but your first line says that you told your superior "in confidence"....and she did breach that.

i am glad you passed your testing.

GettingStronger2 12-03-2010 12:27 PM

Well, it will be nice to pass the testing when ever they decide to randomly administer it to you.

Your post and situation has the lawyer brain in my scrambling, though. I'd be pissed. Your superior violated your confidence, alcoholism is covered by the ADA, and changing policy for one individual and applying it retroactively? Very sad.

Sorry. . ..

barb dwyer 12-03-2010 12:48 PM

it'll be funny when she doesn't pass it.

actualy -
if you wind up being the only one tested
and it ISNT enforced employee-wide .,....

you might have yourself a lawsuit.

meanwhile -= YOU .. will pass.

so ... no harm other than someone proved themselves to be a low life.

and now you know
that person isn't worthy
of your confidence.

BobGT 12-03-2010 12:49 PM

Zube, that kinda sucks, but the company does have a good reason to want their employees to be sober at work. I guess as long as you stay sober, it will not be a big deal.

I imagine that after they get all sober readings for a while, the testing will die down. But you will be stuck with the alcoholic comment in your HR record.

Did your boss give you the half hour schedule change?

Mark75 12-03-2010 12:55 PM

You are dealing with it well... good attitude, Zube.... It is what it is.... I would be very careful about discussing anything personal with your supervisor. Ignorant a-hole.

ImReadyToQuit 12-03-2010 01:00 PM

I'd be looking for a new job ASAP.

LaFemme 12-03-2010 01:16 PM

Congrats on 13 days!

Ummmm...going to throw my two cents in...legally I think your company is in breach...keep all records proving this change was implemented because of you...print those emails out...write a log of time place and who you talked to. As aehnm said alcoholism is covered under ADA and you have legal rights.

rws177 12-03-2010 01:16 PM

Wow, that is ignorant that she would tell them. Especially since you told her you are working on yourself! Oh well like everyone is saying you will pass them and life goes on. If they only test you I would not tolearte that for a second as it is discrimination!

Crow3000 12-03-2010 01:21 PM

I would document all of this. Time and place of meeting, what was said with both your supervisor and hr... Just to be safe...

It sounds at the very least they should have informed the whole workplace of a policy change before singling you out.

I think this does matter now that you are sober. On a very fundamental level, admitting your an alcoholic is the corner stone of recovery, at least it was for me. I understand admitting this to ourselves is the primary goal and to hell with what other people think or don't know for that matter, I just think that if we should choose to define ourselves as an alcoholic, or in your case, provide an honest reason for altering your work hours, a breach of trust/additional scrutiny in a way penalizes our very recovery.

Please don't let this get you down in any way. Without knowing any additional details I would say they are squarely in the wrong.

DayTrader 12-03-2010 01:30 PM

Good job Zube....

It doesn't matter what or why the company does what they do..... you can't control them and, so long as you're sober, breath tests are no big deal.

TheEnd 12-03-2010 05:43 PM

Geez, that's freaking crazy and one of the reasons why I don't trust anybody in the workplace, I would be extremely pissed. I guess you have a motivator to not drink, but still that's a lot of pressure.

Did they say what happens if you fail one of these tests?? All that should be spelled out somewhere or they will be implementing new policy that they can fire people right after they fire you.

Anyway did you get the late arrivals and early leaves like you asked for, because if you didn't that would doubly suck??

gofish1331 12-04-2010 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Zube (Post 2785983)
Told my boss at work in confidence that I was an alcoholic, and would like to start coming in 1/2 hour earlier and leave 1/2 hour earlier to make my AA meetings. She in turn told HR. HR in turn had a meeting with me this a.m. to inform me that now that I have admitted to my alcoholism that i would be subject to random breath alcohol tests, starting immediately (just got back from one, passed it by the way).

When I question HR about this due to the fact that this procedure is not in the company Drug an alcohol policy, an e-mail went out company wide announcing a change in the policy. Here it is:

The following has been added to the drug policy: “****** ****** reserves the right to use other means of drug and alcohol testing as deemed appropriate for the situation.”

Never thought I'd change corporate policy 13 days into my sobriety!

HUH!...

ZUBE

Big brother re-acts, you keep on keeping on ;) One day at a time all in a row ;)

Zube 12-06-2010 06:03 AM

Thanks everybody. I was pissed, but I did use my call list and got my ass to a meeting that evening.

I agree with document everything. I think that I'll know right away if I'm on the receiving end of a witch hunt.

I know that I'll pass the breath tests, so screw them anyhow.

BTW- I did get the requested schedule change!

16 DAYS SOBER!!!...
Zube

Untoxicated 12-06-2010 06:30 AM

You've got the right attitude.

IMO, there is a difference between work place safety and discrimination and this is pushing the line.