Notices

does your "time" sober matter?

Old 09-28-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

All the times I tried in the past led me to the point where I surrendered and life changed. How? Wasn't sure. Just knew, within myself, life was going to be different.

I have learned there is only "now" and living in the "now" is, perhaps, one of the most valuable things in my life, aside from staying sober. For me, the past experiences brought me to this moment, this moments leads me in to the future. If I wasn't able to live in the moment I would be scattered over all of them, and not being effective in any one of them.

All the "time" just brought me to the present. I have had a lot of practice, and some experiences, both good and bad, in order to get here. The more sober-time one has doesn't necessarily indicate quality of that sobriety, or should I say dry-time.

If you are able to live in the moment, maintain a good outlook on life through whatever life sends your way, have some happiness, appreciate the beauty and purpose of it all, help other people, and set aside your own agendas, then, the time will reflect in your being. How others see recovery working in your life..imho.

Hope everyone has a great day..
Old 09-28-2010, 08:03 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I once read in a meditation that working on recovery is similar to building a house. First you have to start out with a solid foundation. When you build that first room it may come out rickity and weak, but the experience you got from building that first room helps when you build the next, as the next one comes out stonger and more intact. And so it goes on to each room.

So to me, yes time does matter as I read in other replies. My sobriety and recovery gets stronger. And as many have mentioned already, I really do only have today to work on, as building that house, I can only work on one room at a time. And just to repeat what others have stated, I am just as close to that first drink as anyone else. Just building on days away from my last drink.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:27 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Harry01854 View Post
I once read in a meditation that working on recovery is similar to building a house. First you have to start out with a solid foundation. When you build that first room it may come out rickity and weak, but the experience you got from building that first room helps when you build the next, as the next one comes out stonger and more intact. And so it goes on to each room.

So to me, yes time does matter as I read in other replies. My sobriety and recovery gets stronger. And as many have mentioned already, I really do only have today to work on, as building that house, I can only work on one room at a time. And just to repeat what others have stated, I am just as close to that first drink as anyone else. Just building on days away from my last drink.
For me that Strong Foundation was my Bottom.. it was real Bad and i Never will forget it..
Old 09-28-2010, 10:18 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

From my point of view there is partial sobriety (giving up your drug of choice) but still using something else, and full sobriety (giving up all drugs). Both are important but the latter is to me is more important. If someone lectures to me about drinking while a cigarette is hanging out of his mouth - I tend to move on.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:35 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

As time goes on it matters less to me. I had my 3rd sober anniversary 9/1 and outside of SR it wasn't relevant to my life at all and I suspect as each sober year passes it will become less and less significant in my life.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:14 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I remember the first 30 days.
My friends had to remind me of the 3 and 4th year as I forgot.
Sobriety embraces and simply becomes life now.