Notices

Sobriety and other addictions

Old 09-28-2010, 01:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety and other addictions

I started a thread over in "family of alcoholics" about addictive personality disorders and it really got me thinking about the "disease" of addiction.

I see many posters on here have been successful in sobriety, and was wondering to those who got sober, did you transfer any of your alcohol addiction to some other addiction, or when you were in recovery, did all addictions stop?
Or when you stopped drinking, did other addictions increase until you really worked a program?

I just see the actually drinking as only a portion of the issue of addiction.

Any thoughts......
Old 09-28-2010, 01:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I quit meth first (over 20 years ago), then all other drugs except pot, then drug free at age 30. Still drank. Because I was never in a recovery program for drugs, I guess I was what you could call a dry druggie. Became a work-a-holic till my dad died. Still drank. Relapsed on pain killers for a short time (at age 52) while my mom was terminally ill. Still drank.

Now I'm here, hoping for recovery. Who knows what I will become addicted to next, but I hope it's that thing called "sobriety."

In answer to your question, for those of us with addictive personalities, if there is such a thing, we always have to be on the look out for potential demons.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Anyone who has dealt with alcoholism recognizes at some point, even though in some people this recognition is brief and not retained, that we use booze or other substances to compensate for what we are missing in our ability to lead a balanced life.

In my opinion we are quick to fall back on excuses for "addictive personalities" rather than using self examination and discipline where very little existed before. We aren't condemned to substitute one addiction for another; it is just easier than the alternative of awareness and striving to lead a more moderated life.

I haven't had an alcohol problem for 4000 days as of today. I don't have an alcohol problem as long as I don't drink. My challenges are no longer alcohol, but there are different challenges every day, just like the rest of humanity faces.

I stopped trying to see my world as "special" with regard to problems a few years back, now I just try and do a little bit better today than I did yesterday. AA provides me the opportunity to listen to other's perspectives and thoughts on life and I consider those thoughts as I go through my day to day business. I don't constantly think of myself as an addict or someone with an addictive personality.

Alcohol addiction doesn't require that we substitute anything in its place when we overcome its grasp. Give yourself permission to go about your life just like everyone else. Too often it seems that an individual that seeks recovery wants to look for a special set of flaws that others without the problem don't have.

Nonsense, the whole damn human race is flawed in one way or another, just like any other natural product of this world. Hell, those flaws are what give us character, like the imperfections in a diamond, leather goods, or lovely old wood. Enjoy your individual peculiarities, just don't let them consume you and obscure the rest of your life.

But wait, perhaps I am using nonsensical writing as a substitute for booze, anyone reading this will see that these ramblings make very little sense!!

Just my thoughts,

Jon
Old 09-28-2010, 01:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Summer,

Originally Posted by Summerpeach View Post
...was wondering to those who got sober, did you transfer any of your alcohol addiction to some other addiction, or when you were in recovery, did all addictions stop?
Having just got out of detox on saturday, i encountered several who've traded one addiction for another for whatever reason.

Were i younger i'd be tempted to replace alcohol with the valium that i sampled at the hospital. I strongly suspect another drinker of actually doing so.

I came out smoking like a chimney.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jfanagle View Post
...I am using nonsensical writing as a substitute for booze, anyone reading this will see that these ramblings make very little sense!!
Far from it. I enjoyed the read. Thanks for posting.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Dog and JF. Interesting input.
JF, congrats on the 4000 days. I find it interesting that you say "I don't constantly think of myself as an addict or someone with an addictive personality". How do u think of yourself?
Everyone is certainly flawed, we are all broken, but all in very different way.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tacks View Post
Far from it. I enjoyed the read. Thanks for posting.
yes, me too
Old 09-28-2010, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tacks View Post
Hi Summer,

Having just got out of detox on saturday, i encountered several who've traded one addiction for another for whatever reason.

Were i younger i'd be tempted to replace alcohol with the valium that i sampled at the hospital. I strongly suspect another drinker of actually doing so.

I came out smoking like a chimney.
There is that tendency to replace, which makes you wonder why the brain needs to compentate
Old 09-28-2010, 02:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I was a smoker before I went to detox and I am still a smoker. I have no plans on quitting at this point. My problem was I drank too much beer. Now, I don't drink any beer. I accomplished what I set out to do.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Ms. Peach,

I think of myself as someone who has been given the gift of an unlimited future. I was fortunate enough to have had that moment of clarity in 1999 when I realized my whole life was out of control and I didn't even know how it got that way.

Without alcohol the world is limitless, I can do anything that I am willing to make the effort to do. What I accomplish will be based on my efforts and the grace of the universal intelligence. Only I limit myself. I can live in the moment and try and give to those who are less fortunate than me.

THIS SOBER STUFF IS REALLY A KICK IN THE PANTS!! Everyone should give it a try.

Jon
Old 09-28-2010, 02:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Jon, you should be really proud of your accomplishments.
Healing really does open up life to limited possibilities, It does as well for codependence.