Notices

The bottom.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jwk3964 View Post
Thanks for all of the responses. Like I said, today is day 1 for me, and to be honest it hasn't been too bad, but at the same time I've been hungover all day and I can't wait to just lay in bed. Most of the times when I have "tried to quit" day 3 and 4 would always get to me. I do have a few questions.

1.) Do you guys sweat profusely? I'm not talking about the night sweats or anything else, but actual "I just got out of the shower and it's 68 degree's in my apt. and I'm already dying". I went to Wal-mart and did some chores around town, and I couldn't walk from my car to the front door without dripping. This has caught my attention at other points on my life, I've just never actually asked that question. It's obviously annoying, but it's more embarrassing than anything else.

2.) I think part of the reason I've always failed in the past is that I become bored, because when I'd normally be drinking, I'd just be sitting there. I work full time, and when I'm not hungover I like to exercise, but that still doesn't seem to be enough. My mind is constantly racing and needs something to stimulate or... the case with alcohol, completely numb it. What kind of activities did you guys take up to fill that "void"?

Once again, thanks for the responses. It honestly feels really nice to be able to talk about these problems with others who have dealt/currently are dealing with them. I've tried to talk to some friends in the past, but they just seemed to kind of blow it off and not really listen. So have a nice night all, I'm looking forward to day 2.
sweating? good Lord, yes. my sheets were soaked at night for the first few weeks of sobriety. i had my AC blasting and the windows open in NOVEMBER. it was pretty horrible.

as for the bordeom, i wanted to address that specifically.

too many of the "oldtimers" overlook this question and just tell the newcomer to go to a meeting. i believe you never really get over an addiction, you just replace it with another. i'll be a bottom barrell drunk for the rest of my life, i'm just not practicing anymore.

when i got sober i had to find new hobbies to fill my life. it is imo 90% of what keeps me sober.

play video games
go to the library
exercise
work on a car
draw
read
paint
go see a movie
go for a hike
go to the zoo
go to a museum
play basketball
go to a professional ball game
volunteer at a homeless shelter
get a part time job
build something with your hands

I really got into radio controller airplanes and cars. Some of these will run more than 100mph and nobody gets hurt when i crash! it's alot of fun and takes up alot of my days.

I also got back into MMA(mixed martial arts) my body hadn't been able to train in more than 10 years. that's also alot of fun.

I'm sure Carol will chime in too....can someone contact her and ask her to post the 101 things to do when you're sober?

i looked for more than 1/2 hour but she's got more than a hundred pages of threads.

hang in there!
Old 09-26-2010, 10:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Carol was kind enough to pm me this thread which i think should be stickied here too.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

many thanks!
Old 09-26-2010, 02:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,

Yep, Day 3 is a bit rough. I kind of slept last night... I would nod in and out of consciousness, and when I did nod off, holy CRAP! The weirdest, scariest dreams I've ever had. The thing is, they only lasted (seemingly) a minute or two, then I would wake up startled, and nod off again, and just rinse and repeat. I know they are going to get better, but that was crazy. I say day 3 has been rough just because of the lack of sleep, and my emotions have kind of been off kilter, and the shakes are pretty bad. The best thing though is I haven't had any want to drink. I even got a few calls from my friends to go to a few bars downtown and drink some beer and watch the games, but I told them no. I know it's not that big of a deal, but I LOVE football, and it's what we do, and I had enough self control to say no and stay at home. I guess a little personal victory.

In response to Hudstar:
Buddy, if you are in the same boat as me, then yes. We both realize that we have a serious problem and this is no way to live our lives. I'm only on day 3, I'm not sure what day you are on, but if you ever want to talk, shoot me a PM, because I know how you feel, and you know how I feel.

In response to BullDog:
The night sweats, man, they were BAD last night, my boxers were literally completely soaked when I woke up a few times. I ended up changing them, and I turned my AC as far down as I could, turned my fan on high, and threw off all my sheets and just layed there. I'm REALLY looking forward for those to stop, even more than not sleeping well. I just honestly realized how completely disgusting it must be for my girlfriend when we stay together, for her to lay by me, and feel my body getting burning hot, then cold, etc. Sick...

About the hobbies, that's great you took up MMA again. It's a great sport, and extremely fun to watch, even though UFC 119, Mir and "Cro Cop" was one of the most boring fights I have ever seen in my life. I've always been a runner, and I've always loved endurance races, marathons, 50k and I'm going to get back into that. I went running yesterday, and I can't tell you guys how amazing it felt to just be active again. I was dying because I was so out of shape and had gained so much weight, but I kept at it, and when I finished, it just reinforced the fact that there are a lot of things in life that I have been missing out on, all because of drinking. I like to play disc golf too, but I use to always drink on the course, so I'm actually going to hold off on that for a while until I'm comfortable. I have ALWAYS wanted to play around with radio controlled airplanes/helicopters. I'm going to check into. Thanks.

Everyone thanks again, Sober Recovery has given me such a positive mindset in regards to quitting. Reading everyones stories, about their lives, and how drinking destroyed them, and how through perserverance, dedication, and wantingness to change, they did, and now their lives are so much better. Everyone have a great day! On to day 4!
Old 09-26-2010, 02:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jwk3964 View Post
Hey everyone,

Yep, Day 3 is a bit rough. I kind of slept last night... I would nod in and out of consciousness, and when I did nod off, holy CRAP! The weirdest, scariest dreams I've ever had. The thing is, they only lasted (seemingly) a minute or two, then I would wake up startled, and nod off again, and just rinse and repeat. I know they are going to get better, but that was crazy. I say day 3 has been rough just because of the lack of sleep, and my emotions have kind of been off kilter, and the shakes are pretty bad. The best thing though is I haven't had any want to drink. I even got a few calls from my friends to go to a few bars downtown and drink some beer and watch the games, but I told them no. I know it's not that big of a deal, but I LOVE football, and it's what we do, and I had enough self control to say no and stay at home. I guess a little personal victory.

In response to Hudstar:
Buddy, if you are in the same boat as me, then yes. We both realize that we have a serious problem and this is no way to live our lives. I'm only on day 3, I'm not sure what day you are on, but if you ever want to talk, shoot me a PM, because I know how you feel, and you know how I feel.

In response to BullDog:
The night sweats, man, they were BAD last night, my boxers were literally completely soaked when I woke up a few times. I ended up changing them, and I turned my AC as far down as I could, turned my fan on high, and threw off all my sheets and just layed there. I'm REALLY looking forward for those to stop, even more than not sleeping well. I just honestly realized how completely disgusting it must be for my girlfriend when we stay together, for her to lay by me, and feel my body getting burning hot, then cold, etc. Sick...

About the hobbies, that's great you took up MMA again. It's a great sport, and extremely fun to watch, even though UFC 119, Mir and "Cro Cop" was one of the most boring fights I have ever seen in my life. I've always been a runner, and I've always loved endurance races, marathons, 50k and I'm going to get back into that. I went running yesterday, and I can't tell you guys how amazing it felt to just be active again. I was dying because I was so out of shape and had gained so much weight, but I kept at it, and when I finished, it just reinforced the fact that there are a lot of things in life that I have been missing out on, all because of drinking. I like to play disc golf too, but I use to always drink on the course, so I'm actually going to hold off on that for a while until I'm comfortable. I have ALWAYS wanted to play around with radio controlled airplanes/helicopters. I'm going to check into. Thanks.

Everyone thanks again, Sober Recovery has given me such a positive mindset in regards to quitting. Reading everyones stories, about their lives, and how drinking destroyed them, and how through perserverance, dedication, and wantingness to change, they did, and now their lives are so much better. Everyone have a great day! On to day 4!

the nightmares will be on and off for awhile. i had them for weeks, but they do go away. hang in there.

yeah, the UFC119 main card was so boring, i dozed off during the 2nd round.

Mir hit the nail on the head when he said his performance was lackluster..he needed a better showing to be put back in the same arena as Carwin and Lesnar.. i really liked the Bader/little Nog fight though...Bader is getting to be a bad a$$.

i'm really looking foward to the Lesnar/Velasquez fight in 121. I was really upset over the Chael Sonnen news...looks like that fight ain't happening for awhile between him and Silva.

As far as watching football...i'm watching the skins game now...i love football too....you'll lose the want to be plowed by booze when watching a game. i enjoy it alot more now then i ever did drunk.

i'm getting another plane at the end of November. I need to stretch the wings a little as i've been racing cars most of the summer.

Welcome to the boards, man...it's always good to find another sports junkie around!
Old 09-30-2010, 12:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well, I'm currently on Day 7 of being sober and I must say, I feel SO MUCH BETTER! For once in a long, long time I'm finally starting to laugh, be optimistic and just find joy in life. I'm not saying that I haven't had strong urges to drink, to just say screw it, and go pick up a 12 pack, but fighting those urges has led me to finally realize that yes, I CAN BEAT THIS! Here are just a few of the positives that I have experienced over the past few days.

Positives
1.) Waking up, feeling refreshed, without a headache, and not dreading another day.
2.) Taking care of problems instead of drinking and forgetting about them.
3.) I actually show up to work on time, with enthusiasm, wanting to perform well.
4.) I'm finally laughing, and having fun.
5.) My libido. I didn't realize how much drinking was effecting my sex life, but it REALLY was, and needless to say, my girlfriend and I are both quite pleased
6.) I don't sweat constantly anymore. I still have a bit of night sweats, but now I can actually be out in the sun, and not have my shirt drenched with sweat within 10 seconds.
7.) My bank account.
8.) I actually remember what happens at night!

These are just a few. The first 3-4 days were BRUTAL. The shakes, headaches, constant sweating, the urge for a drink. It was quite tough. I've pretty much gotten over the initial withdrawal symptoms. Don't get me wrong, I know I'm in for a long, tough fight. This is when it's easy to slip into "I can have just one and be ok." I have been receiving a lot of support from my friends, and this forum has helped me SO MUCH. When I have had a strong urge, I like to just get on, and read. I'm finally realizing that life is worth living, sober, and it can be a lot of fun, and yeah, it sucks when bad things happen, but that's what life is. I still have a bit of a mental fog, and a bit of anxiety in certain situations, but I found out that if I eat right, exercise, and get proper sleep, these problems are pretty insignificant and I can deal with them. So, I'm looking forward to day 8, and in a week from now saying that I've been sober for two weeks. Have an excellent day everyone, stay strong, and thanks!
Old 09-30-2010, 09:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Thanks for the inspiring post and for reminding me how great sobriety is. Yeah, life is tough (no matter WHO's living it), but we're doing it the right way this time, the "real" way. I remember that first week and having a real smile on my face - it felt different, like I could feel it in my heart.

Way to go on one week sober!!! ODAAT!