Notices

A question about "sober"

Old 06-17-2010, 08:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A question about "sober"

Well I have a question about being sober.

This may sound dumb, but it has me wondering. I hate flying...have only flown twice in my life back in the 90' and both times I flew I had got basically volume (sedative) from my doc to ease me.

So long story short....I just made plans with a friend tonight to fly to Montana in Sept to fly fish for a week. If I get anything like volume from my doc just because how I am with flying....does that break my sobriety??

Steve
Old 06-17-2010, 09:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you're problem was alcohol, then I say no. But maybe if you could somehow go without it then maybe I would try that.

Horrible fear of flying here. My hands sweat.

Just remember that flying is safer than driving. By something like 200,000 times safer. Some number like that.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If it's short term, taken as directed, and medically necessary I don't see that as breaking your sobriety.

Flying doesn't scare me, it's the going up and coming down that scares the crap out of me.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Chemicals and ones sobriety is so personal I never comment...

But I would like to say this,

I used to fly alot internationally and booze got me through it. Recently I flew to my new home overseas and the last 2 legs of the journey were on old Soviet airliners that made funny noises in flight.

You can do it sober! Have a nice flight.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can do it sober! Have a nice flight.
Uhg...I was scared someone was gonna say that lol

Steve
Old 06-17-2010, 09:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think that if you know what the purpose is, then it's not "breaking the sobriety." If you were taking something to take the edge off around the house, like maybe I'll fix that window after I've relaxed with this pill, well, that would be different. Plus, if for any reason you thought you had a danger of having more than what helps in the air, then your doctor can make sure you don't have more. If he needs to be told that, well, you can tell him that, just like you are asking the question here, ie, being honest and careful.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's my whole "intent" too toronto68...it's not about getting "high" oof anything, I just HATE flying. It's one of the main things that actually scares me in life. But I just didn't know if taking anything would mean down the road I couldn't say I had been completly "sober" or not.

Steve
Old 06-17-2010, 11:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
That's my whole "intent" too toronto68...it's not about getting "high" oof anything, I just HATE flying. It's one of the main things that actually scares me in life. But I just didn't know if taking anything would mean down the road I couldn't say I had been completly "sober" or not.

Steve
This issue for me was not the drink on the plane or the drink before the flight. The issue was that once I start I cannot stop. So upon reaching my destination I cannot turn the switch off that gets flipped on when booze enters my system.......

think the drink through, play the tape etc.

Will you fly fish or chase booze?
Old 06-18-2010, 12:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hmmm this is a funny one...

I was scared of flying too and i went to abu dhabi at 5 months sober which in hindsight was pretty dangerous and against all suggestions, but thats another thread...

I used to drive and train and boat everywhere as i simply refused to get on planes. The flight to abu dhabi was 8 hours with a 3 hour flight to paris previous on the same day...

A friend in the fellowship said she used to take a valium to fly for the first x number of years cos she was very scared and it calmed here down so i went to docs and told him that i was an alcoholic and ended up with 10 small pills of diazepan...

I flew and took one before the flight and one on the flight...it was a bloody nitemare...the pills relaxed me as you would expect and i drifted in and out of sleep every so often but would wake up, realise i was on a plane, **** myself and almost have a panic attack...this happened at least 10 times...it sucked ass!

So when i got there i threw the pills away and the next 7 times i flew in the next 4 months i did so without any help...well apart from my HP that is!

Howevever i have a friend in NA who used to abuse valium so it wouldnt be a very good idea for him to start popping DOC on a plane...so...

Obviously it is not ok to have a stiff drink as i am an alcoholic but if i have a good reason to take medication and it is prescribed to me and i have been honest with everyone concerned ansd i think, with a now sane and mature outlook on it, that it is required im going to take it...

I am still frightened of flying, well the fear is of getting on the plane but heres how i look at it...get to the airport, chill out doing other stuff, follow everyone else on the plane and sit down...lets face it whether i am relaxed or leaning forward with my head on the chair in front of me sweating im still going to get on...and it does get easier with a few flights in sobriety...

PS I am flying to the UK next Tuesday and already my mind is trying to rationalise a nice 5 hour train journey, a 36 hour boat trip and a 3 hour drive to get there as an adventure...but i will be getting on that plane next week...probably;-)
Old 06-18-2010, 01:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Funny how we are quite happy to play russian roulette with alcohol...then get all uptight about one of the safest form of transport around.

im saying that to myself........ill do anything other than fly.
ive comtemplated sedatives but i feel for me that is dangerous ground...ive seen to many drunks swap for sedatives and end up in a worst place.

i think as yeahgr8 said........the more you fly the more it becomes less of a horror.........

i have heard you can have hypno-therapy for it......
Old 06-18-2010, 02:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trucker View Post
Funny how we are quite happy to play russian roulette with alcohol...then get all uptight about one of the safest form of transport around.
Ha, ha... Loved this one! i think I am going to use it every time I have to face some of my irrational fears... Will think of all the stupid risks I have taken without any reward. Thank you!
Old 06-18-2010, 04:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sorry to sound like a broken record but I have found that if I have to ask if something is right or wrong it usually is wrong. Just sayin.....
Old 06-18-2010, 05:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Take the pill. If you're not abusing it- like taking a bunch at once or extending it's use- and it's prescribed by a doctor, then okay. There are grey areas, contrary to what many seem to think. If flying scares you and you are not a zen master- just get through with a little bit of medical help. You're only human.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

If it were me... I would discuss it carefully with my doc. (S)He's sure to have some suggestions for things to help you get through the flight without compromising your sobriety. As others have said, I wouldn't consider it a break of sobriety to take a doctor-prescribed pill for a limited and specific purpose... But I'd be damn careful that what I was taking wouldn't screw me up in the head. I'd feel much safer, for example, taking a Benadryl than a Valium.

You might surprise yourself, though -- if it's been fifteen-plus years since you last flew, it's really a new experience again, isn't it? Maybe deep breathing and a good book or movie is all you'll need to keep your mind off the flight.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Heathen

Because of my addiction issues (to about anything that made me feel 'different'), I have had to find other (non-chemical) ways to relax, to party, to have fun, to decompress, to grieve, to relieve pain, etc etc. It really can be done, and who knows, maybe you'll enjoy the flight or at least survive unscathed, and that will teach you that you never have to medicate for flights again!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What river in Montana? I'm jealous! In a couple of weeks we go on our annual family vacation in Maine... Me and my son like to go into the north woods with a compass, map and GPS and hike into remote ponds with no road access. Can't keep the native brookies off the flies!!

Oh, your question, you got me thinkin about fishin, that time of year, friday and all

That's between you and your doctor... maybe use it only if you are gonna flip out. Maybe now that you are not drinkin', the anxiety won't be so bad... who knows... Some people don't fly at all because of it... and then they never get to go fly fishing in MT.

Mark
Old 06-18-2010, 06:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

While I don't believe it'd be breaking your sobriety....AT ALL, I kind of like the occasional challenge to put my program/God where my mouth is. Don't get me wrong, I'm scared as hell at some things but for the times I can come out on the other side, A-OK, having taken nothing more than my faith in my God "for" it.... man, what a feeling. That, to me, is how we grow spiritually. Anyone can 'say' they have a Higher Power and that they have faith in that power when times are smooth. When the going gets rough, that's when your given the opportunity to put it into action.

Kind-a goes back to: Just what kind of HP do you have? Is your God quite limited in what he can do...or is he truly the HIGHEST power out there? You either trust your HP or you don't..... and if you don't.....maybe it's time for a real HP. (I'm saying that rhetorically, not pointing fingers.)
Old 06-18-2010, 06:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My equalibrium is out of
sorts, which means i get
naseus and dizzy. It's that
same feeling i got when
had a hangover. YUK..!

Dramamine is something
that helps if i know my feet
are not on solid ground.

If i need to go to the doctor
which i seldom ever have to
do, but just in case, i know
what i need to let the doctor
know to protect my sobriety
and recovery.

Being honest with him is
most important. He knows
right up front that my recovery
is that important to me and
that if anything is prescribed
to me that it is not a narcotic
and its not habit forming.

So whatever is giving to me
is use just for the purpose
its prescibed for and nothing
else.

Safe, no guilt, no relapse.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm...
Flying private planes was once a hobby of mine.
Obviouslly....I'm not afraid of tlying.

About prescribed meds?

What I take...when and why I take has nothing
to do with my recovery from alcoholism.

In a few hours I will take 1 10 mg Valium
as I begin a 2 hour Cyber Knife procedure.

Am I breaking my sobriety? heck

If I used meds for "fun and dumb" reasons
I would re start my sobriety time.....
Old 06-18-2010, 08:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've taken alot of meds to calm me down...pick me up etc....I personally wouldn't want to take anything..just incase it made me weak enough to pick a drink up..