Notices

A question about "sober"

Old 06-18-2010, 08:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

They are non-sedating and non-addictive medication's used to treat anxiety. You could ask your doctor about these.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I agree with Carol here..... I don't take anything for anxiety, but I take antidepressants for my depression and Trazadone to help me sleep. Are they mood altering? One could argue both sides I suppose.

If you're honest with yourself, you should be able to figure out what's best for you. For me, it's totally different to use meds for a condition than it is to use/abuse them for a high. I think AA takes a hard line on things because it's better to be safe than sorry. For example, there are people out there who have used and abused every kind of substance, even household chemicals, and/or get triggered really easily. I knew a guy who stayed high drinking Nyquill all day.

Also, like Zen said, there are a variety of anti-anxiety meds.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

If your med is doctor prescribed, and there is no danger of it causing you to relapse, then there shouldn't be a problem with you taking it. Talk to your doctor about your addiction, perhaps there is an alternative that he or she can give you that won't cause you to go back to your addiction.

Perhaps this can help you a little. One of my brothers is a pilot for an airline. I have seen what he has to go through every year to get re-certified - the hours of flight sim training, the hours he spends studying in prep for the certification, the annual medical checkup. Drivers on the road don't have to go through that kind of training every year. In short, you're much safer in the sky than you are on the street! Remember, too, that pilots have family and friends that they want to get home to at the end of the day. They want to arrive alive just as badly as you do, and will do everything they can to keep that plane in the sky!
Old 06-19-2010, 06:04 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Another thing you can try is ask if you can speak with the pilots for a minute or two before hand. Keep in mind, it is up to the airline and up to the pilot as to whether or not you would be allowed to speak to them, particularly in a post September 11th world of heightened security. My brother has talked to a few people who have been on his plane that have admitted to having a fear of flying. He talks to passengers because he loves people, loves flying and loves his job. Plus it helps out his crew to ensure passengers remain calm and comfortable throughout the flight.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

That's good.

One of the mental techniques I use if I am feeling anxious is I kind of make the pilot my higher power for the journey. I figure the pilot wants to make the trip a safe one at least as much as I do

Mark
Old 06-20-2010, 11:55 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

If you don't want to take a sedative ask your doc about drugs like Propranolol.

Propranolol won't get rid of the mental anxiety per say, but it does help with the physical symptoms. Please talk to your doc about it, though.

IMO, taking a sedative one time at a reasonable dose for a legit reason isn't going to ruin your sobriety. If you'd abuse it, however, that's different.