Notices

controlled drinking

Old 04-19-2010, 09:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

controlled drinking

i used to have a pretty bad time with alcohol he used to beat me up pretty badly, last year i was in a right state, alcoholic neuropathy was digging in, could barely walk and hangovers-well, dont want to even go there,
last year on husbands birthday we went to the pub and that was the last time i have been drunk,since then i have had about 15 units of alc spread out over the last 7 months, thats nothing really is it? i seem to have got my drinking under control, i can have just 2 or 3 glasses of sherry like once every 6 weeks, which puts me way under drinking guidelines for females,
i just wanted to share this with you because i keep reading the only way to conquer addiction is to give it up completely. forever, i just cannot commit myself to something completely forever,
if i come back in a few months and ive been wrong i will freely admit it,
after deciding i couldnt live with my addiction i chose to try my own programme,
i dont want to offend anyone by posting this, no way , SR has been my lifeline especially in early recovery,
just wanted to offer another angle i guess, ok i havent been sober for the last 7 months but i havent been drunk or suicidal either,
perhaps some of us CAN go back to 'social drinking'
Old 04-19-2010, 09:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Different things work for different people. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cool keep us updated every so often as to how it goes:-)

Controlled drinking never worked for me i drank to get where i needed to go as quickly as possible...back in 20īs if i couldn't get drunk i would drink diet coke, hated having a few and then not being able to have anymore...drove me nuts!!!!
Old 04-19-2010, 09:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

it hasn't worked for me but good luck!!
Old 04-19-2010, 09:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I tried to control my drinking many times over the years, that's why I ended up in such bad shape and my life in such disarray. It wasn't until I finally got ALL the alcohol out of my life that things turned around. Some people may not have to do that though but I think "most" Alcoholics will find in the end they can't have even one. But if it works for you and your happy/lifes good then I'm glad for ya.

Steve
Old 04-19-2010, 10:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thats presuming you survive.....sstark truth is alcoholics die all day every day the world over.

god be with you.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've tried the control drinking too over the years...and I ended up with a DUI....it's all or nothing for me!! I'm just praying I can be as good sober as I was bad drunk!! God Bless...
Old 04-19-2010, 10:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Heathen

When I first quit alcohol was SO important to me that I couldn't bear the thought of letting it go, and didn't.. for a while. Until I realized that regardless of the amount I was consuming, the thoughts about drinking and obsession about controlling it were making me miserable. I hope you have some peace with your decision to keep drinking, and that you feel no ill effects. For lots of us that doesn't work!

Good luck!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you are doing well, I have tried to "control" my drinking with disastrous results including trips to the hospital. I don't see the point in having one or three drinks, its like having three grains of rice in a bowl (I don't get the point of it).

If I drink it is to get drunk and have no desire to just have a couple. I am just fine with not drinking alcohol & feel good about my decision and know that it is the right one for me.

All of the best to you.

NB
Old 04-19-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't see the point in drinking paint, even moderately.
Alcohol gives nothing and takes all.
I hope your path serves you well.
Best.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Good luck with that.
Controlled drinking sounds like too much work, for me
Easier for me to just stay stopped.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewBeginning010 View Post
Glad to hear you are doing well, I have tried to "control" my drinking with disastrous results including trips to the hospital. I don't see the point in having one or three drinks, its like having three grains of rice in a bowl (I don't get the point of it).

If I drink it is to get drunk and have no desire to just have a couple. I am just fine with not drinking alcohol & feel good about my decision and know that it is the right one for me.

All of the best to you.

NB
Here is my original post, I hope it is ok that I went back to read some of your previous posts to see where you were at prior to your new found controlled drinking accomplishment.

Based on your posts I dont think it is worth the risk... do you?

Originally Posted by juliwuli View Post
i hate the way alcohol always pretended to be my friend when all the time it was my worst enemy,
i succumbed to the demon drink now im really depressesd, i used to have lots of hobbies but havent done any of them for ages, i used to exercise but havent done that either for weeks, and ive no appetite at all, i feel really weak too, i know i should go to the doctors but im scared to death of everything,
i dont miss it, i hate booze now with a passion, i nearly drank myself to death, i cant believe i was going to leave my four kids without a mother for alcohol,
Every day i regret with a passion how terrible a mother i was to my eldest son,
he's 21 now but when he was growing up i put him through hell with my alcoholism,
It upsets me to write this and i'm crying whilst i do it, but i beat him in a drunken temper, and told him i hated him every day, but i didnt, i dont , he's my first born yet i was unable to stop my evil behaviour,
I think he hates me now, i can see it in him, i want to apologise and tell him im proud of him, but i cant get the words out, i dont know what to say,
can anyone here relate to what im saying? if so i would love to hear from you, also please feel free to tell me what you think of me, it cant makes me feel worse than i already do,
He lives nearby on his own as he's recently split with his girlfriend, he seems depressed, i just wish i could turn the clock back,
Thank you so much everyone,
i was fully expecting some bad reactions to what i have admitted, fully deserved they would have been as well,
i have stopped drinking, i stopped 6 months ago, i nearly drank myself to death, but everyday i thank god for letting me have another chance,
Anyway i do so want to say im sorry to my son , i just cant seem to find the right time, sorry if that sounds like im making excuses, and thanks for all your lovely replies, i just dont think i'd be able to share this anywhere else,
i wrote on another thread that i had been sober for 6 months, this was a lie i guess i was ashamed to admit i was still a drunk, and a hopeless drunk, anyway last fryday i went and got drunk at the pub, when we got home a frightening scary thing started to happen to me, i wont say what it was because i will get told i should have gone to hospital but i didnt, im ok now but im so frightened it will happen again if i drink, which i dont want to ,
anyway i asked for this to happen to me, i prayed to god a few weeks ago and asked him to make me ill so i physically couldnt drink, and it looks like he answered my prayer,
so here i am, this is my wake up call, as far as im concerned if i drink again i could well die, i sank as low as i could go, almost died, almost lost everything and now ive been given another chance, i feel strangely calm for some reason and more optimistic than for a long , long time just thought i'd share this ,
i tried AA meetings a few years ago but i quit because i honestly dont think i wanted to stop drinking enough,
but now i do, ive tried stopping on my own but i only last a few days, and i'm irritable and anxious all the time,
on thursday im going to a meeting nearby, im going to stick at it this time because ive tried everything else, and there's nothing else left, how long will it take before this obsession is lifted? i forever thinking and worrying about everything, im 44 and ive been boozing for 16 years, and ive hit rock bottom, i was too drunk to get my daughter anything to eat when she came in from school,loads of other stuff too that i cant remember
please pray for me i really really want sobriety,
i decided to quit because i felt time was running out fast for me, i was either going to end up dead from liver failure or in prison for doing all the stupid illegal things i did when i was drunk, like stealing from people-even my own kids! to buy booze, i also didnt really like those teleportation blackouts i used to get, one minute in the pub the next it would be in a bus shelter or somewhere with no recollection of how i'd got there,
Please take a moment to read through your previous posts & decide if it is worth taking a risk with continued/controlled drinking based on your previous history with alcohol.

I wish you all of the best & prey that everything works out for you & yours.

Sincerely,

NB
Old 04-19-2010, 12:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would listen to what NewBeginning posted there
Old 04-19-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

... i just cannot commit myself to something completely forever,
after deciding i couldnt live with my addiction i chose to try my own programme,
i dont want to offend anyone by posting this, no way , SR has been my lifeline especially in early recovery,
just wanted to offer another angle i guess, ok i havent been sober for the last 7 months but i havent been drunk or suicidal either,
I have heard countless stories of "problem drinkers" going back to controlled drinking but none about "full-blown alcoholics" doing so without tragic consequences. I don't blame you for trying though. If I could have gotten as little as 1 more month of fun out of drinking I am 100% certain I would have tried it myself.

Good luck. I really mean it, but keep a list of YETs around to remind you of what you have to loose;

1. I have not been arrested YET
2. I have gotten a DUI YET
3. I have not been hospitalized YET
4. I have not been fired YET
5. I have not lost my family YET
6. I have not been in the psych-ward YET
7. I have not been homeless YET
8. I have not died from this disease YET
Old 04-19-2010, 01:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
Until I realized that regardless of the amount I was consuming, the thoughts about drinking and obsession about controlling it were making me miserable.
My experience was similar to Smacked's; in a way controlled drinking was even worse than full-fledged drinking, as the obsession, constant preoccupation and compulsions to control my intake drove me crazy.

Good luck
Old 04-19-2010, 02:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Perhaps. And perhaps not. You appear to have the makings of a gentleman, and my hat is off to you.

It is very important for me to know who and what I am. I'm Keith, and I'm an alcoholic.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Controlled, moderate, social, 'responsible' drinking? pahhahahaha.

No thanks, I'd rather not bother than put myself through the torture of having a 'few'. Whats the f*cking point in that?

If I start climbing a mountain then I'm gonna climb to the summet and I ain't gonna stop untill I see that view. But it's gonna totally f*ck me up whilst doing it. Thus I don't bother climbing the mountain. (thats enough metaphors for one day!LOL)

If you can stop after a few drinks then fair play to you. I know for a fact that even if I set out to only drink like a perfect gentlemen, not that I would want to anyway, then as soon as that booze hits my bloodstream then I ain't gonna be leaving till I'm heaving!! May as well score some Coke, pills and weed whilst I'm at it. Whats gonna stop me? Not me because I know I'm totally powerless after the first drinks are down. Been there way too many times.

All or nothing for me. Always was, always would be. I'm an alcoholic. 'Just for today' I will not drink alcohol or take any drugs.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I no longer want to control my drinking. Too much work and thinking about it. Easier to just not drink at all. I hope you do alright.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Your decision worries me, cos I spent a lot of years trying to convince myself it was possible for me too....but I wish you well Juli

you know where we are if you need us
D
Old 04-19-2010, 03:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i used to have a pretty bad time with alcohol he used to beat me up pretty badly, last year i was in a right state, alcoholic neuropathy was digging in, could barely walk and hangovers-well, dont want to even go there,
last year on husbands birthday we went to the pub and that was the last time i have been drunk,since then i have had about 15 units of alc spread out over the last 7 months, thats nothing really is it? i seem to have got my drinking under control, i can have just 2 or 3 glasses of sherry like once every 6 weeks, which puts me way under drinking guidelines for females,
i just wanted to share this with you because i keep reading the only way to conquer addiction is to give it up completely. forever, i just cannot commit myself to something completely forever,
Well, all I can say, and please don't take offense, better you than me. I hope you do make it back. Good luck.