Notices

I give in, I'm beaten

Old 01-20-2009, 04:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I give in, I'm beaten

i tried AA meetings a few years ago but i quit because i honestly dont think i wanted to stop drinking enough,
but now i do, ive tried stopping on my own but i only last a few days, and i'm irritable and anxious all the time,
on thursday im going to a meeting nearby, im going to stick at it this time because ive tried everything else, and there's nothing else left, how long will it take before this obsession is lifted? i forever thinking and worrying about everything, im 44 and ive been boozing for 16 years, and ive hit rock bottom, i was too drunk to get my daughter anything to eat when she came in from school,loads of other stuff too that i cant remember
please pray for me i really really want sobriety,
Old 01-20-2009, 04:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Juliwuli...I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you honestly didn't want to stop drinking before. Wanting to remain sober and doing what it takes are worlds apart...I wanted to quit long before I did because it was hard...only when I was willing to go thru the uncomfortableness that a new quit brings was I able to succeed. The obsession of which you speak lifts with time...everybody is different so I can't tell you how long but for me it was gone by 3 months...my new habits gave way to a new mindset. Best of luck to you! You can be the Mom you want to be....starting today.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by juliwuli View Post
i tried AA meetings a few years ago but i quit , how long will it take before this obsession is lifted? ,
Hi Juliwuli, no-one can answer this and if you've previously tried AA you'll know that it varies from one person to another but, by going to AA you'll get support, some structure and a tool kit for facing Life on Life's terms without alcohol. I couldn't stop or stay stopped on my own no matter how desperate I was to stop. Please give AA another go and just don't pick up the first drink one day at a time or if that's too much, one hour at a time. Please keep posing and Keep Coming back!:ghug
Old 01-20-2009, 05:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks guys
im going through a hangover at the moment, i really want it to be my last, i hate what alcohol has done to me, i cant sit still,at the moment and my anxiety levels are through the roof, ive been through this loads of times before obviously, but never before have i wanted freedom from this demon like i do now,
Old 01-20-2009, 05:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Perhaps you need a medical detox to get you past the intense first period and get you stabilized?

CLMI
Old 01-20-2009, 05:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

thanks guys
im going through a hangover at the moment, i really want it to be my last, i hate what alcohol has done to me, i cant sit still,at the moment and my anxiety levels are through the roof, ive been through this loads of times before obviously, but never before have i wanted freedom from this demon like i do now,
Never forget the horrible feeling drinking provides.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Juli, nice to meet you. We all have to come to that place of wanting to quit in order to have a chance at it. It is unfortunate that we have to hit bottom and do so many unspeakable things before we get to that place, but that is just the way most of us are. If you want it bad enough, sobriety can be yours.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

juliwuli, one of the first things to do would be to see a doctor and be perfectly honest about your drinking, you may need to be medically detoxed, I had to be medically detoxed, then straight to AA I would suggest. Stick with the ladies, find a womans meeting if possible to start out with.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

please pray for me i really really want sobriety,
I'm praying for you.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I too think checking wth your dotor is wise.
Here is a link with info,,and some members experiences

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Good to see you aain...
Blessings to you and your family
Old 01-20-2009, 06:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've got six months sober and still think about drinking... but I know in my heart that drinking would make everything worse. Talk to your doctor, please. This CAN be your last hangover.