Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

How many of you were ever arrested due to alcohol?

Notices
View Poll Results: Were you ever arrested due to drinking?
Yes, I've been arrested due to an alcohol offense
52.76%
Never was arrested due to drinking
47.24%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

How many of you were ever arrested due to alcohol?

Old 03-15-2010, 10:50 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Never arrested, got some interesting incidents where I came close though. But why would I want to get arrested - that would mean I'd have to stop drinking that evening.. I was a quiet drunk mainly, in the early days I would be a bit livelier and have bouts with drinking buddies but after a while I found I'd prefer to get quietly tanked while watching a football game (on my own, as I couldn't keep a conversation going).

I was out with some drinking buddies for a football game away from home once (a very small team, a few hundred travelling fans at most), when one of my friends made an off the cuff mark to a group of other people in a pub. A minute later we had ten riot police inside the pub. THey basically told us to leg it while they kept everyone in the pub for a couple of minutes. I still don't know why it got so serious so quickly.

I've seen mates get knocked about but always managed to avoid it myself thanks to being a fairly decent size and I stayed in shape due to still going to the gym 6'1 and a lean 200lbs so trouble seemed to avoid me mainly.

Yep did the whole drinking and driving thing, have vague recollections of causing a crash due to other drivers avoiding me doing something stupid and crashing theirself, while I got away. Not sure if I've invented that memory or not. Ploughed across two lanes of motorway drunk while trying to change a CD. Overtook a car with a boat trailer on a blind bend while hungover as I wanted to get back home to drink.

Travelled on trains numerous times without a ticket (potential big fine for that!), nearly ended up stranded for the night several times. Had to spend lots on taxis to take me 50+ miles home sometimes as I slept past my station on the last train.

But never arrested.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:21 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Arrested due to Alcohol......

I was never arrested while drinking but should have been many times. I mostly drank at my home & made sure I had enough supplies before I went to work. If not, would stop at the store on the way home.

When I was admitted to the hospital for a medical detox I had a BAL of 0.31
and was walking & talking normal...counselor said I could have gone to sleep and never woke up.

kelsh
Old 03-15-2010, 11:29 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

that's a lot of alcohol in the body
Old 03-15-2010, 05:53 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

No DUI's or arrests so I figured I was not an alcoholic. I waited until I lost everything that mattered before I admitted I might have a problem.

"I didn't always get into trouble every time I drank but, every time I got into trouble I had been drinking."

Thanks for the reminder Capt!
Old 03-15-2010, 08:11 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
*Hooligan*

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
We got a saying around here. I didn't always get into trouble every time I drank but, every time I got into trouble I had been drinking.

I was just curious.
Ha Ha Ha, guess maybe I should have read the thread before I posted in it lol....Truth be told, most everything I know today I learned in the rooms of alcoholics anonymous.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:45 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

i was arrested for being drunk and smashing up the house, the kids were upstairs cowering and frightened, my daughter said 'you really frightened me'
its making me cry just thinking about it
Old 03-16-2010, 10:00 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Never once stopped for my driving and that just blows my mind. I drove drunk so many times it is not funny.

But, I was the good planning drunk so I would drive to the liquor store outside of my neighborhood early in the morning to get the booze to cure the hangover, (I would not have passed the test) and then I'd risk driving the 4 blocks to my local store to load up for the night later in the day. I would not have passed the test then either.

Sheesh. Crazy making.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:28 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ElegantlyWasted View Post
As well as a broken collar bone from riding my bike when I shouldn't have. Anyone else?
I crashed a motorcycle while very drunk, and in my defense - very young. The injuries were so severe that the cops who visited my reeking and dazed self in the hospital took pity and didn't pursue the clear case of DUI/DWI. I owe a debt to them.

But it was the injuries that made me think twice about ever riding a motorcycle while comatose, again. I won't lie - I've ridden plenty of times with a few beers (seriously, that's it) in me. But that was the limit. I shouldn't even have done that.

One of the hardest things about being an alcoholic and a motorcyclist is keeping the two afflictions separate. Their are scant other easily combustible combinations as that one.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:21 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

DUI times 2 and both BAC were below 0.04.
No ******** in this state/0 tolerance. Last DUI was almost 7 years ago.
Glad 2 B sober today.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:19 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

For reasons I do not fully understand, I was never arrested for anything drinking related (or for anything ever)...but particularly driving and if I'm to be honest I was always driving either under the influence, intoxicated to some extent, or with an open container in the car. I was "careful" not to drink & drive totally ********* so maybe that it why I was lucky. I had one field sobriety test in 98 and was pretty buzzed up, passed it and they let me go even after I told them I had been drinking. I used one of my "get out of jail free cards" that night, answering the cop's question of "is there anything physically wrong with you that would prevent you from being able to pass this test?"...to which I answered truthfully, "I don't think so but as a 20% rated Disabled American Veteran, I do have an issue with my knee..."

One of the greatest benefits of being sober and alcohol free is never having to worry about that kind of stuff again...or about my lucky finally running out...because I pushed it as far as it could be pushed...
Old 03-21-2010, 05:50 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I was almost arrested one night after being out drinking. I somehow miraculously passed the breathalizer test, although I think it was just barely. The two officers let me go. This was a huge wakeup call about how easy it is to be arrested for DUI. I had had 2 glasses of wine and 1 and 1/2 beers over the course of several hours. After this incident, I did most of my heavy drinking at home (not a great thing, either!!!)
Old 03-29-2010, 03:26 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
BDP
Rising Phenoix

once for a DWI
Old 03-29-2010, 04:59 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

I got DUI #2 Wednesday night. That's why I've been here. That was the last time I drank, and I'm just over 100 hours with no alcohol.

I didn't decide to turn my life around because I got a DUI. It was because of the miracle that happened afterward. I came home from jail, utterly shattered, and was about to drink a beer. That's when the light bulb went off (I consider it a miracle, but call it what you will), and instead of drinking I found an AA meeting. Been to 14 in 4 days. This site has helped me tremendously in the hours I'm not sitting in a meeting.

So this DUI may very well destroy my home life as I'm certain my fiancee is no longer that and wants pretty much nothing to do with me. But I have to thank God for that night. Because had I not been pulled over, I would have been drinking the previous 4 days. The hell I will likely go through with this DUI will all have been worth it if by God's grace I can stay alcohol-free and progress through the 12 Steps.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:50 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Grateful to God that I can answer this question with a 'no'.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:56 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

I got a DUI back in Jan. 1987 blew a .12. Never got caught again, but I deserved to be. So thankful I never killed anyone.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:26 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Checked "no" honestly, but I should have been - it's just that the breath meter failed on one occasion, and I was so effed up on another that I think they decided the paperwork wasn't worth it [70 miles an hour in a city, wearing (wet) pyjamas and no shoes, blown exhaust, unable to stand up... they just said "go home"]
Old 03-30-2010, 09:36 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Albastar you just remineded me of the amount of times i would get stopped by the police 'walking' in town as a young man and be soooo drunk, i would start saying to them i want to be a policeman as they were thinking about taking me in and i am certain my presistent, 'genuine' interest at the time, put them off a few times and they would get me in a cab and say something like look mate just **** off home ok!

Oh man, cringe or what!
Old 03-30-2010, 03:09 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Iīm a little surprised how many of you who have been arrested due to alcohol.

I havenīt. My problems with the law have mostly been caused by marijuana. I have been driving drunk a couple of times (I donīt drive much), but have never been stopped. And have never been involved in accidents. Thank God.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:21 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

A Few Times :=) As long as i work my program that fear is gone.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:45 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Considering I've gotten 2 DUI's and never killed anyone out of the literally hundreds of times I drove drunk over the course of 12 years, even though I have to deal with that second DUI coming up...I'll take it. Thank God it's not worse.