Notices

Alcohol is the only way for me.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:06 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Dean, Some of the comments that I have read on here, such as this place "isnt for you" are just simply wrong. I see that you are obviously a well respected member here since January of last year, and that after 400+ days of sobriety the 'odds won'. The fact of the matter is you have been here a year, and you have been sober a year. I'd say this is working out for you.

I am really glad you posted what you did. Being a stubborn individual myself, your story pretty much is how I relapsed myself. Only I did not have a brave 400+ days under my belt, I had 14.

I relapsed by having some of what you posted. I was sick of shaking, the problems sleeping, the constant smell of liquor out of no where. I thought that if I could buy a bottle, and just have it in my posession and not drink it, that it would make me stronger because I 'could' drink it whenever I wanted. The next night, odds won and I was back at it.

I wouldn't let the odds winning this time, keep you from being sober next time. It took me two years to be sober two weeks, and you having over 400 days under your belt, you seem like a pretty strong individual to me.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:06 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

joedris....
Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum

Yes....Dean is doing quite well again and
I am glad you are too.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:07 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Congratulations Dean on your new beginning....

2 weeks and moving forward!
Old 04-10-2009, 08:10 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
Do what you need to do. Here's a prediction, if you make it back, the shame and remorse you feel will be unbearable. I hope this isn't the case. My final question, and I only ask because we have corresponded and I know you have a spiritual life. Where is GOD in all of this?
It's not unbearable but it is there for sure Rob.

14 days since I last put alcohol into my body. I get to spend some time tonight praying and working on my fourth step. Something I have never done before. It takes what it takes, I just happened to have access to a computer this time so that is my part in this thread.

I don't recommend anyone doing things my way, the way I have in the past. God want's me here (alive) for now. It will be interesting to find out why assuming I ever do.

Thank you for your patients.
Larry.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:15 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Just do it!
Old 04-11-2009, 05:13 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Suki, Thanks for pointing that out. I thought I was on Dean's last page but now see I wasn't. My mistake so please forgive my rant.

Dean, Keep it up, guy. It's not easy but suprisingly it does get easier over time. You have a lot of folks rooting and p[raying for you, myself included.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:09 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone....

For anyone useing AA or curious about AA
we do have a special forum......

Please click on the line below to
Alcoholism 12 Step Support Forum

Alcoholism-12 Step Support - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Yes...
members may use more than one discussion board
just please...no duplications.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2009, 05:33 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Larry, thanks for letting us know that you're keeping up the good fight, well done on 2 weeks!
Old 04-24-2009, 09:37 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Larry, haven't visited this thread in awhile but I've seen you posting around the forums. It's good to see your continued progress, prayers going out for your recovery.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:26 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

It's been 30 days now since I last drank. After the first few days of withdrawals the physical cravings left me along with the obsession or desire to drink. I seem to be in a stage of alcoholism that is beyond that stuff now. I don't understand it but there really are no trigers for me today. I will drink or I won't. It comes down to willingness for me personally. As long as I remain willing to maintain my spiritual fitness and take what ever actions are needed I will remain sober.

If I drink again it will be because I was no longer willing to do so. It's that simple.

Thank you all for your strength.
Larry
Old 04-26-2009, 05:35 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Ah Dean...posts like yours are so inspiring! Congratulations on 30 days. To see someone go from such anguish to sobriety and the stability and sense of relief that comes with it just shows that one can get better. That the hell is of our own making, but heaven (or relatively so) is within reach.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:11 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

I wish I could go 30 day without drinking...I think the longest I've gone in recent memory is about 10
Old 04-27-2009, 02:01 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by Dean62 View Post
It's been 30 days now since I last drank. After the first few days of withdrawals the physical cravings left me along with the obsession or desire to drink. I seem to be in a stage of alcoholism that is beyond that stuff now. I don't understand it but there really are no trigers for me today. I will drink or I won't. It comes down to willingness for me personally. As long as I remain willing to maintain my spiritual fitness and take what ever actions are needed I will remain sober.

If I drink again it will be because I was no longer willing to do so. It's that simple.

Thank you all for your strength.
Larry
For me, this is what it comes down to as well.

Either I want sobriety or I don't.
Either I take the actions needed to live a good, sober life or I don't.

Black & white.

I believe in the human spirit - the ability to overcome any adversity. Every day, I see this in other people. I see this in myself.

For most challenges in life, it seems to come down to willingness & action. Hard work but the payoff is huge.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:55 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Larry --

Congrats on your first month! I keep thinking of you and check this thread daily.

I'm in my 3rd week. Finally was able to medically detox at home. Strange thing is that I find getting sober is easy (due to the meds), but staying sober is very tough. I agree with you that willingness is the key. I have to make a decision every day whether or not to drink. I have to be willing to say no to the bottle every day no matter what, and that, my friend, is a challenge for me.

Keep up the good work, Larry. You can do it!

/RHN
Old 04-29-2009, 03:21 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Hey Dean, It's not your ego that tells you that you can have a drink, it's the disease. Nice thing about this malady we call alcoholism is that it tries to convince us that we don't have it. Remember the "cunning, baffling, powerful" bit? Well it's all that and more. Go to meetings! You can make it. It isn't easy, but you can do it. I like what Janis Joplin said: "I get by with a little help from my friends.."