Notices

Thoughts on non-alcoholic beer?

Old 12-04-2008, 10:40 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

just to add, basically IMO it will be different for different people. for me, my will to quit because of the way i get when i drink is enough for me to not relapse....or such is the case right now. as long as i have something in my hand to drink while i am out i am fine. i have yet to try the NA beer (o'doules etc..) to see if there would be a problem but i am sure that there wouldn't be.

one would just have to look within themselves to see if 'they' would wind up having a problem during / after drinking non-alcoholic beverages.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:07 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Maybe it comes down to how important sobriety is to you.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:09 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Maybe it comes down to being aware of what your triggers are...
Old 12-04-2008, 01:04 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Originally Posted by RufusACanal View Post
Maybe it comes down to how important sobriety is to you.
I'm going to call, "oversimplification" on you on that one.

Sobriety is #1 in my life. And...

There's no alcohol in my house, so if I never leave my house I know I won't drink. So I should never leave my house?

I think I've said this before, but I'll risk repeating myself. I see two fundamental issues with NA Beer:

1. Is NA Beer considered alcohol?
It's got alcohol in it. That's a fact I think we will all agree with. But so do lots of other consumables, some of which are noted here - orange juice. Does it make a difference because NA Beer says there's alcohol in it on the can but OJ doesn't? I don't know. In my mind, I don't consider NA Beer to be alcohol - I don't consider OJ to be either - but that's me.

2. Will drinking NA Beer trigger a relapse?
This one is REALLY subjective. And everyone's triggers are different. Even my own triggers seem to be really inconsistent. Sometimes billboards with alcohol ads set me off, sometimes they don't. I don't know if this makes much of a difference or not, but beer was never really my thing anyway. I was always about the hard spirits. I've had an NA beer now and again and never had an urge as a result. Does that mean the next NA beer I have will trigger cravings? I don't know. It might. Could the next cola I drink trigger a craving for a rum and coke (I used to drink those lots) - it might, but I doubt it since I've had cola probably every day while I've been sober. I drink lots of that stuff.

Some say, "why risk it?" Okay, solid logic. But is it a "risk" for everyone?

And one last thing...

I'm not telling anyone to go ahead and suck down all the NA Beer you want. And by the fact that the question about NA Beer being in one's head, to me that's enough to consider playing it safe.

For me, it was never a concern. In my mind, it's just another carbonated beverage. And maybe that's why it hasn't been a problem for me, because it isn't tied to any sort of obsession in my mind. And that's part of what alcoholism is, an obsession of the mind.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:04 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
New things have come to light

Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
Do most of you think its a bad idea to drink non-alcoholic beer? Does it make a relapse more likely or is it pretty safe?

I sure as hell didnt drink for the taste....
Old 12-04-2008, 01:31 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Hmm... non alcoholic beer, personally it's like reliving your addiction in a way if you would be drinking it for the same effect as alcohol... even thinking about drinking non alcoholic beer, I mean think of a NON ALCOHOLIC DRINK, not a "beer", understand? So psychologically... it's safe from alcohol content but regarding mental... like me, if I was forced to drink it I would want real beer, which is pitiful ain't it? SO... there's your answer, it's sorta dangerous mentally but not physically.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:37 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

NA beer would never come up for me cause I hated the taste of beer always.
But I was a BIG wino and I would never risk drinking alcohol free wine. It is just not worth it to me.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:08 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Dk..... you are chooseing to have a N/A beer?
Sorry you are drinking again....
Old 12-04-2008, 06:35 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I haven't had an NA beer, but if I did, I wouldn't consider it drinking, any more than orange juice. Gimme a break...
Old 12-04-2008, 06:44 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

If you're drinking it to try to get a buzz, you're !@#%ing mentally challenged. If you could even get mildly intoxicated from something with such a minute trace of alcohol, kids would be pounding orange juice trying to get drunk, and that is unheard of.

Last edited by doorknob; 12-04-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:25 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

DK...a break?
Here is what you posted.

My favorite:

OJ
Grenadine or Cranberry Juice
A Splash of Lemon-Lime Soda

I drink those at karaoke, along with cola, coffee, and sometimes an NA Beer.
I was sad to know you are drinking alcohol.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:31 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

ORANGE JUICE!!!!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:40 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by justanothrdrunk View Post
I'm going to call, "oversimplification" on you on that one.

Sobriety is #1 in my life. And...

There's no alcohol in my house, so if I never leave my house I know I won't drink. So I should never leave my house?

I think I've said this before, but I'll risk repeating myself. I see two fundamental issues with NA Beer:

1. Is NA Beer considered alcohol?
It's got alcohol in it. That's a fact I think we will all agree with. But so do lots of other consumables, some of which are noted here - orange juice. Does it make a difference because NA Beer says there's alcohol in it on the can but OJ doesn't? I don't know. In my mind, I don't consider NA Beer to be alcohol - I don't consider OJ to be either - but that's me.

2. Will drinking NA Beer trigger a relapse?
This one is REALLY subjective. And everyone's triggers are different. Even my own triggers seem to be really inconsistent. Sometimes billboards with alcohol ads set me off, sometimes they don't. I don't know if this makes much of a difference or not, but beer was never really my thing anyway. I was always about the hard spirits. I've had an NA beer now and again and never had an urge as a result. Does that mean the next NA beer I have will trigger cravings? I don't know. It might. Could the next cola I drink trigger a craving for a rum and coke (I used to drink those lots) - it might, but I doubt it since I've had cola probably every day while I've been sober. I drink lots of that stuff.

Some say, "why risk it?" Okay, solid logic. But is it a "risk" for everyone?

And one last thing...

I'm not telling anyone to go ahead and suck down all the NA Beer you want. And by the fact that the question about NA Beer being in one's head, to me that's enough to consider playing it safe.

For me, it was never a concern. In my mind, it's just another carbonated beverage. And maybe that's why it hasn't been a problem for me, because it isn't tied to any sort of obsession in my mind. And that's part of what alcoholism is, an obsession of the mind.
Thank you.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:41 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I enjoy NA beer. The import ones are the best. You are the only person that determines your sobriety date. I just celebrated 2 years and 6 months!

tib
Old 12-04-2008, 10:29 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I've had 10 or 12 since, I got sober .

I took some cough syrup when, I thought i was going to die with the flu a month back that, had alcohol in it. I've taken pain medicine prescribed by a Dr. as directed.

To each his own.

I've gotten more of a buzz from the coffee my buddy and I drink in our lab every day then, I've gotten from drinking an N/A beer.

I base my living today on my spiritual condition. When, I was drinking, the sole point of drinking wasn't to socialize, it was 99.9% to become intoxicated.

I'm glad, I'm not obese. What do you tell a person, you can never eat again?

It's crucial, for me anyway, to know my limitations on everything.

Staying away from bars, people that drink heavy and or take drugs.

I can over do anything there is to have excess in life period.

A wellness in mind, stops me from doing things to hurt my body today. Intoxicate means to poison one's body. I no longer wish, to punish myself or, any one that loves me today.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:21 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Yech. I never liked the taste of alcohol, just the affect so it is a non issue for me.

I'm a big fan of coffee, chai tea or Coke Zero.

I don't go to bars or clubs either so I'm not in a place where I feel like I need to have anything in my hand.