Notices

Thoughts on non-alcoholic beer?

Old 12-03-2008, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thoughts on non-alcoholic beer?

Do most of you think its a bad idea to drink non-alcoholic beer? Does it make a relapse more likely or is it pretty safe?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I believe it can be a psychological trigger for many. As far as alcohol content, it's about the same as orange juice.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I havent tried it because of what doorknob said-afraid it will cause a trigger. I also wonder what the point is. Its like drinking caffeine-free Jolt

(smiley has nothing to do with anything, just thought he was cool)
Old 12-03-2008, 09:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

They mostly taste like crap. There is one German made NAB that is pretty good (Claustheimer?) but for me, I have no desire to drink them. I mean, what's the point? Regular beer doesn't even taste all that great, so why drink a "beer" that I know tastes even worse. In the past, I put up with the taste of beer (an acquired taste I'm sure I convinced myself beer tasted good) to get the buzz, now what's the point? I'd prefer a cold soda, juice, or a glass of water.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me there are a few reasons why I would want to drink NA beer. First of all I love the taste of beer, especially good beer. Most NA beer isn't very good but I have had a couple that are decent (Kaliber, Clausthaler). I am going to be in situations where other people are drinking and I think that having a couple NA beers might make those times easier for me. Maybe it won't, I'm not really sure.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can see no reason to drink none Alcoholic beer. Why would I want to hang on to anything that remotely related to all of those years of pain and suffering?
Old 12-03-2008, 10:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Fulldresser4

Well said, Rufus...
In my experience, I was trying to "fit in" by drinking NA beer...I was never a beer drinker, but I felt like I needed to have something in my hand at that time. It was one of the factors for me that led me back to my second LONG relapse. The distorted thinking that if I could handle the teeny bit of alcohol in NA beer - and there IS alcohol in it - I could handle a "few" drinks. Today I won't even drink cough syrup with alcohol in it. I feel that my body truly has an allergy to alcohol, and I don't ever want to go there again.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Fulldresser4 View Post
The distorted thinking that if I could handle the teeny bit of alcohol in NA beer - and there IS alcohol in it - I could handle a "few" drinks. Today I won't even drink cough syrup with alcohol in it. I feel that my body truly has an allergy to alcohol, and I don't ever want to go there again.
Just curious... do you drink orange juice? There are a few at SR who don't.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Hey Jakey,
Welcome to another day sober! Glad you are here! I think a lot of us here that are past a few weeks sober prefer not to have any alcohol in our life. NA beers still have alcohol in them.

The more sober time you get under your belt, the more comfortable you will be with your sobriety in social situations. I also think you will find that your anticipation of social situations will cause you more anxiety than the actual social events! It is normal to be anxious. We are anxiety experts!

I went on a mini-vacation when I was two weeks sober. I went with my siblings and our children. My sis and my kids knew I was sober, but my brother and his wife did not. It was all cool. They drank, moderately, and I did not. No one pinned me to the wall and asked me 20 questions. Also, I always made sure I had something refreshing and non-alcoholic available at all times.

About the same time I went to a bar/restaurant to join friends to celebrate a birthday. I drove my own car (hubby had his). I ordered bottled water with my meal, listened to the music, chatted with friends, and no one noticed what I was drinking (or not drinking). Again, no one asked me 20 questions. When the group started doing Patron shots, I said my good-byes and drove home.

It turns out that drinkers are more concerned with their own alcohol consumption and don't really notice what or how much others are drinking. You'll see.

Till then, make a plan. Stick to it.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Fulldresser4

Nope, don't drink orange juice, it makes my tummy hurt. But in my opinion, orange juice is a far cry from trying to hold on to the "have to drink something to fit in" mentality that I had.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
At the risk of sounding like a broken record because I always say this when the topic of NA beer comes up.......

It's sorta like denial in a can. Why would I want to drink something that reminds me of a beverage that I can't drink safely?

And the fact is that there's a small percentage of alcohol in NA beers and wines.

One sip, I'd probably be off to the races.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Originally Posted by Fulldresser4 View Post
Well said, Rufus...
In my experience, I was trying to "fit in" by drinking NA beer...I was never a beer drinker, but I felt like I needed to have something in my hand at that time. It was one of the factors for me that led me back to my second LONG relapse. The distorted thinking that if I could handle the teeny bit of alcohol in NA beer - and there IS alcohol in it - I could handle a "few" drinks. Today I won't even drink cough syrup with alcohol in it. I feel that my body truly has an allergy to alcohol, and I don't ever want to go there again.
If you really need a drink in your hand, a can or a bottle of soda would fit I bet.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I'll have an NA beer once in a while. I don't stock it at home or anything, but once in a blue moon I'll have one.

I've never had a problem with it and don't take issue with anyone in recovery who chooses to do so.

Edit to add: most of the time it has to do with the availability of (or lack thereof) non-caffeinated beverages except Sprite/7-Up which is not my fave.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I sometimes buy NA beer to use in cooking. It doesn't set me off. Your mileage may vary, though, and it's be careful.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I've posted this about a hundred times,
so the others who've been here for a while ...
if you listen you can hear them groaning ...

I tended bar for almost ten years.

100% of the people who were customers in my bar who drank the non alcohol
(which really isn't)
went back to drinking.

I kept up with it.

100%.

Just FYI.

I hate to come off like "Sister Doom' or anything,
it's my own first hand personal experience.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

These days I don't even like the idea of using mouth wash with alcohol in it because alcohol absorbs through the soft tissue in your mouth pretty quickly and what if I swallow some by accident? So the last thing I want is a "beer" with trace amounts of alcohol in it that tastes like crappola.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice everyone, seems like just about all of you think its a bad idea which is sort of what I expected. I think I will try and stay away from it.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by barb dwyer View Post
I tended bar for almost ten years.

100% of the people who were customers in my bar who drank the non alcohol
(which really isn't)
went back to drinking.

I kept up with it.

100%.

Just FYI.
They're also hangin' out at a bar, which may be a trigger in itself.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

On a different note, I was thinkin' about tryin' some O'Dweeds...

Old 12-03-2008, 01:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Dk,

BaaHaaHaaa!