Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Got arrested for my 2nd DUI last night, need advice.

Notices

Got arrested for my 2nd DUI last night, need advice.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:47 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Re:Got arrested for my 2nd DUI last night, need advice.

I went through 2 "DWI" arraignments myself, so I know how terrifying that ordeal can be. In the end, my lawyer was able to negotiate a better plea (thank God). So don't feel too overwhelmed by it all, okay. It's part of the legal process, that's all. The consequences may seem a bit 'overwhelming' -especially to us, but in the eyes of justice it's and inevitable aftermath for the suffering we caused others. So you have to take it on the chin, okay. I was able to weather the storm and so can you. Good luck...
Old 04-22-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

This thread is old, but I just have to respond. The treatment of Tes by some on this thread is unbelieveable. He said he was working a program. He had a slip and got a DUI. No big whoop. It happens. Get a Big Book and start the slate clean. I'm sure TES isn't the only person on this forum whose had a DUI. Remember when you point fingers there are three pointing back at you.

And just "plead guilty" to a DUI that didn't injure or kill anyone -- don't bother getting a good lawyer or even try to defend yourself, instead potentially go to jail? That's smashing advice. This isn't some hypothetical amends issue in the rooms, this is the real world.

Some of the responses on this thread make me ashamed to be sober.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

DUI "punishments" never got me sober. I continued to drink/drive for a while with no license, no insurance & drunk as a skunk. I forged the AA slip when the Judge mandated me to a few meetings. I left a MADD Impact panel with no remorse & was drunk driving a few days later. I no longer live the "what if hurt someone driving" thought. I didn't hurt anyone driving & have moved on with my life. I don't believe I should have to live with the consequences of my 3 DUI's the rest of my life. And I don't because I'm legally able to drive now. I got my first DUI in 1996, then 2002 and my last one in 2003. It's 2012 now & I live my life in the present. No one can punish me as long & as hard as I have punished myself.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
DUI "punishments" never got me sober. I continued to drink/drive for a while with no license, no insurance & drunk as a skunk. I forged the AA slip when the Judge mandated me to a few meetings. I left a MADD Impact panel with no remorse & was drunk driving a few days later. I no longer live the "what if hurt someone driving" thought. I didn't hurt anyone driving & have moved on with my life. I don't believe I should have to live with the consequences of my 3 DUI's the rest of my life. And I don't because I'm legally able to drive now. I got my first DUI in 1996, then 2002 and my last one in 2003. It's 2012 now & I live my life in the present. No one can punish me as long & as hard as I have punished myself.
That's true, it's just unfortunate that people on this thread feel the need to moralize at TES instead of giving neutral advice. The program is supposed to non-judgemental and tolerant.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...I agree ...time to close this old thread.

Let's get back to helping each other stay sober...