Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Got arrested for my 2nd DUI last night, need advice.

Notices

Got arrested for my 2nd DUI last night, need advice.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:24 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Les , yes please let us know how things are going and how you are doing..

Take care,
John
Old 04-28-2008, 12:11 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Tes:

I have read the whole thread.

First let me say, thank you for starting this thread. Second, thank you for having the courage to return and read.

Now, Taz pointed something very important out.

I too have known and know Lawyers in the program of AA for a long time. Invariably everyone I have known will bend over backwards to help someone who is HONEST, AND SINCERE, AND SCARED and REALLY FINALLY WILLING to stay sober.

How about, since your GF is "very angry" about this latest event, and you are scared (I think right now terrified might be the better word) it would be a great time to start attending meetings on a regular basis and getting a sponsor???? But, ONLY IF YOU ARE NOW SINCERE ABOUT STOPPING.

Thus by the time its Court Time, plead guilty, throw yourself on the Mercy Of The Court, and ASK THE COURT FOR HELP.

I think maybe, just maybe, this might have been the straw that has broken the camel's back. I pray for you that it is.

Keep posting Tes, let us know how you are doing, we do care very much!

Love and hugs,
Old 04-28-2008, 03:10 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

2 Cents,

You are in the right place if you want to recover. Keep posting, listen to the responses and know that you can recover. Even the harsh ones talk from experience and concern. I suggest giving AA a try. It is anonymous and unrelated to court proceedings as this forum is.

You are in the wrong place to obtain legal advice which includes anything from "go to treatment" to "plead guilty", both now have legal ramifications. We are not qualified to give legal advice in your state just as we are not qualified to give you medical advice. Talk to an attorney licensed in your state who does DUI and other alcohol related offenses immediately. Resources include the county bar association where you live, the State Bar Association where you live and even the yellow pages.

I have a pending DUI. I do not glorify what I did in this forum or anywhere else. I am dealing with that through the proper legal channels.

I am also an alcoholic. I do not glorify that but was fortunate enough to find this forum as a result of my condition. This is one of the channels I chose as part of a healthy recovery for me.

I accept both, and therefore I am prepared to deal with both.

I hope you have found some insight in the responses here and if you are an alcoholic like me, I hope you find a recovery method that works!
Old 04-28-2008, 05:59 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

We have 4 AA meetings a day and very little dead weight in our meetings at the Cumming Group. If you want to get sober, there you will find meetings that are solution oriented and literature based. You will find people who are sponsored by and sponsor other alcoholics. People who are doing the deal. I do not have any legal advice for you. If you want to know what I did to get sober, I will be happy to share that with you.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:32 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

There has been a lot going on in this thread. The most offensive thing I've found was bashing another for long term sobriety. Anyone who has earned double digit sobriety has much more knowledge than I do and has earned my respect. I must respect their experience & wisdom. I know they have seen much more than I. I have seen many things in my few years of sobriety and I will see a lot more. This is how I've gained my opinion, through my experience and newfound knowledge.

We may not get sober the same way. This is true. Some of us never get sober, ever, searching for an easier softer way. I would rather be brainwashed with sober living than stuck in a drunken one. I've tried both and certainly have my preference. Does sticking with a program for many years, to remain sober and to help others, make us mindless drones? I think no one has the right to make such a statement until they have achieved the same. Meaning, you remain sober for 20 years, then perhaps you have earned the right to claim that AA'er no longer have an original thought.

We are here to help one another, not bash each other. I wasn't going to comment on this thread, but here I am offering up my 2 cents. In early sobriety, we don't know nearly as much as we think we do. I learned that from my own experience, the hard way. It pays to listen to those who have walked the path long before I have. Wisdom is gained. When we haven't earned it yet, it is best that we shush and listen.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:50 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
tes

Originally Posted by least View Post
THe more I think about my actions the worse I feel. No one deserves my anger but me. I'm sorry. I won't be coming back here for a while. I need to be alone. I'm sorry. I can't forgive myself so can't expect anyone else to forgive me. I'm in the wrong here and apparently my thinking is not much different than when I was drinking, the only difference now is that I'm sober. For all the good it does.
I forgive you 100%, there is no need to feel bad. Please don't disappear : (
Old 04-28-2008, 11:14 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
tes

I greatly appreachiate all of the support. I will definitely keep ya'll posted on how things turn out. I poured out all of my booze and beer this morning, and oh my dear god I came so close to slamming some of it to try to forget it all again. Instead I took my GF to the lake and tried to patch things up. I suppose it was the 1st time I have had an enjoyable time without any alcohol in quite awhile. I must admit that the thought of having a drink has crossed my mind more times today than sex does to some geeky high school kid, but I have been trying to block it out to the best of my ability. I may ask her to goto AA with me. I have too much anxiety to go by myself, I suppose that has what has held me back from going in the past. I am not suprised that some people felt the need to lash out. I realize that this probably wasnt the proper place to ask a question such as this but I wasnt sure where else to turn. I honestly do believe that this is the wake up call that I needed to finally call it quits. It seems everytime I even touch the stuff something worse happens than the last time I did. Ive just got to get it out of my head that I simply cannot have just one or 2 drinks anymore, because next thing I know im wayyy past that and end up making terrible decisions that cause me more grief and trouble. I have cravings. The thought of a drink is always on my mind from the moment I awake to when I put my head down. I have been considering checking myself into a long term treatment center (30 days at least). The problem is I am in trouble financially. I believe it will work out. I have a whole new attitude when it comes to drinking now, I just hope that it stays that way. I do not want to lose anymore or anyone else, or cause others harm. Anyways, Thanks so much for all of the replies, it means alot to me, and I am not offended or angry about anything at all.

Last edited by tes; 04-28-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:58 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

...tes
Yes do take your lady to an AA meeting.

Call 404-525-3178
ask them for an Open Meeting....
Anyone may attend an Open Meeting.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:59 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Tes I found the solution to my drinking problem in the fellowship of AA and in the steps, if you want to you can as well. It takes work, it is not easy. There are other programs that work as well, they take work also. There is no easier softer way.

If your gf does not want to go to a meeting with you, you could call the AA hotline and meet someone to go with you.

You never have to drink again unless you want to.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:46 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Good news: that constant craving will go away eventually. You need to learn how to apply positive action in your life instead of escaping. Don't beat yourself up though as escaping is all you know now. If you go to AA, you will be taught a "new" way. A solution and it works. Its a process but worth it and you will gain strength along the way.

Try not to project your energy and mindset now on how you will be. You will change as you are going along and you will become stronger. That (for me) was the key. I often projected the way I felt at that moment for the next moment or reflected the past..stay focused and God will give you the strength and you will be amazed at the results.

I hope you go to a meeting ..they will teach you all this. It works...it really does.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:09 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Learn You Lesson!

I Had A Dui, Back In 2003. I Have Since Been Pardoned For It, And I Guarantee You It Will Never Happen Again. Looking For A Good Lawyer Was The Absolute Last Thing I Thought Of At The Time. More Of My Emotions Were Of The Learning Experience. A Dui Should Never Happen. The Fact That It Does And Nobody Gets Killed Is A God Send. Lets Face It Everyone Makes Mistakes...there Is A Difference Between Good People And Bad People. Good People Make A Mistake, Learn From Their Mistake And Never Let It Happen Again. Bad People...well, Self Explanitory. My Only Advice To You Is To Seek Help (and Not In The Legal Capacity). You Need Help With Your Drinking Problem. You Can Make All Of The Excuses In The World As To Why This Is Happening To You, But Until You Own Your Mistake, Face The Consequences And Get The Help You Need, I Also As Well As Many Others On This Post Fear That You Will Kill Someone Some Day.

Fm
Old 04-29-2008, 10:09 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Tes-

Thank you for not drinking and driving any more.
My children and grandchildren live in cherokee-cobb.
As well as assorted neices, nephews ...
Old 06-08-2008, 03:57 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hi,

I am sorry you got another DUI. I got 3 DUIs in Atlanta several years ago. My first, I used William Head's office. The next 2, I used King & King - Ask for Brian. A really cool cat. Not too expensive.

e-Mail me and I will tell you my story....
Old 06-08-2008, 04:14 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
1 smile can stretch for miles

I have had 2 dui's. the first I blew .18. Guilty. Did jail. Did programs they said I needed to do. I did not need a lawyer to get me off. I was accountable for my actions. 2nd dui (which finally brought be to recovery-no not court ordered)blew.269 Guilty. No lawyer. Accountability. Society does not put that drink in us that is our choice. However, in my case I chose many many times to drive while under the influence. I paid my debt to those I could have harmed with my selfish behavior.

I am not here to help you get out of trouble. But if you want help in recovery I am here.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:55 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

tes hasn't logged on since 04/28/08. I assume since then he has or is about to go through his DUI hearing. This thread is over a month old.

The only thing you can do for tes is pray for him.

Tom
Old 06-08-2008, 09:16 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
New things have come to light

Originally Posted by tes View Post
I was almost home and barely even had a buzz. Got pulled over for noise violation (I have a very loud stereo in my car) and blew .122. My last (1st) DUI was on 1/1/1999. Does anyone know of a a good laywer in the Cherokee/Cobb county GA area that wont break me? Im kind of scared. Any advice greatly appreachiated.

Yeah, don't drink and drive.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:58 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

My advice is get a bike! Although I was once pulled over on my 10 speed by a cop who said I could get a B.U.I. Yep a biking under the influence.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:42 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
TruthJustice

Originally Posted by tiburon88 View Post
My advice is get a bike! Although I was once pulled over on my 10 speed by a cop who said I could get a B.U.I. Yep a biking under the influence.
You're not kidding! You can get a DUI on a bicycle...and a lawnmower! YIKES! So I recommend riding a bicycle or a lawnmower...just doing it sober.

It seems there are a couple of camps those that have zero tolerance for lack of responsibility and those that relate and forgive. Greentea - I echo all of your comments..."...let he who is without sin cast the first stone..."

Tes,
You messed up, you know it and we know it but I'm not going to tell you one thing or another because I've done quite a bit of messing up in my life too and I'm POSITIVE you don't want to hear that right now. So what I will tell you is this, when feel like you need to vent please don't stop posting.

HINT: If you are as resourceful with your lawyer search as you are with your drinking - you'll have a good lawyer in no time!
Old 06-09-2008, 10:25 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

The orginal poster has not been at SR since April 28-08.

Please don't be disappointed when he does not reply.

I'm sure we all wish him well as he moves forward.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:26 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

VeritasAequitas....Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum.