Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Relapse after 4.5 years - told at mtg. now regret..telling me to take welcome chip..

Notices

Relapse after 4.5 years - told at mtg. now regret..telling me to take welcome chip..

Old 02-01-2008, 12:09 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

I think what kills me most about these little AA-no AA fights is that no matter how hard you try, no matter how you word it, there are always going to be folks who go to meetings, then talk s**t about the program. Always. There's someone who used to do that all the time, he'd bring topics up in meetings related to how AA fails. You know what? If you don't like it, DON'T GO. That's all there is to it.

If you're into AA, then be into it. If you're not, then don't be into AA. There is really no point in trying to voice a movement against something that's saved millions of people-that's like trying to voice a movement against chemotherapy. Personally, I don't roll to the secular board and say "wow, it must suck to get sober without God". Nor do I point out things that frustrate me to no end, because there's no use. I don't have to be right. I don't need everyone to agree with me. I replied to the original post because it sounded like this guy needed some support in being honest-not because I wanted to defend AA against folks that aren't into it.

I guess I'm just confused. AA folks are bullies, but it's the program that's getting slammed? It's not the program's fault, it's the tenants? If your feelings are being hurt by the AA program, or by AA members, then stop going to AA-just stop going. Otherwise, shut up about it. It's rude. And mean. And ignorant.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:41 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Wow....

Since this conversation has denegrated to name calling, I feel my participation is starting to cause others resentments, so I will take my leave.

In parting I will say that this thread is one worthy of a second read. Much to be learned here.

Gods Speed to all

I am grateful to live in a world full of glorious color, and anticipate many wonderful times ahead I have so much to learn on this journey
Old 02-01-2008, 09:54 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ready4 View Post
Nor is Ego part of staying sober.
Well, awareness of Ego sure is! Wrestling with it, keeping it disengaged. Because I don't drink, my disease today is a disease of Ego. The Program shows me how to live in a way that doesn't engage my ego like it had been in the past, and allows me to keep my ego from re-gaining total control. A day at a time.

I'm glad for you that it was only a little wine and only for a very little while.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:39 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Why can't I be a AA member and question and ridicule some of their beliefs? I admit I have a love/hate relationship with AA. Yes there are other programs but they hardly ever have face to face meetings. I refuse to become a AA robot. I also refuse to work the steps. I enjoy listening to "war stories" at meetings. Steps 2 & 3 are religious plain & simple. I prefer to get my spirituality at church. I admit that I have picked up a 1 year chip when I only had a week sober. What is the big deal? I think it frightens AA folks when a member starts to "think outside of the box." I've decided to use the date of my first meeting as my sobriety date. I have 5 years of recovery and proud of it!

Tiburon "Take What You Want & Leave The Rest"
Old 02-02-2008, 12:52 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I think everyone has had time to
consider their program and how they choose to live it.

Let's move forward and let this one go.

Thanks!