Notices

Glad to be back on track

Old 02-01-2008, 06:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Glad to be back on track

After missing some meetings due to being sick it was good to go to a meeting. Although Thursday is usually my karate night I thought it best to make a meeting instead. It was my second time to this group and I really feel welcome there. It was the largest group so far. It is amazing how much better I feel after being around people I can relate too. I know AA has been around for a long time but for me it is like a new discovery.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

AA IS new over and over again, because every new member brings that miracle of new found sobriety when they walk through the doors. Without the newcomers we would simply sit around talking about "how it was" and not have the gift of "what happened."

Thank you tkdan for that energy that you bring when you come to that next meeting and don't forget that it is YOUR job, along with the rest of us to make sure we welcome the man and woman who have not yet walked in the rooms. If we fall down in our responsibilty to make each and everyone welcome, we will surely be the worse for it!

Thanks again for my sobriety,

Jon
Old 02-01-2008, 08:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi tk,
i know exactly what u mean- it is amazing how much a mtng can do for me- and other likeminded ppl. I love the feeling of serenity after a mtng. I always feel much bttr.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Dan I was like you in my early days in AA and worried that maybe that feeling would wear off. Well I guess it doesn't for a lot of folks, we have a lady who is 84, she has been sober for 31+ years and still makes at least one meeting a day if she can.

She said the steps lifted her obsession in her first year sober, she says that she comes to meetings for the fellowship and to help the newcomers. Her first sponsor was a man, there was only one other lady in AA in our area back then, she said she loved him and he saved her butt, but she was very happy when she finally got a lady sponsor and wants to make sure she is available to sponsor any ladies who need one. The number of women she has sponsored over the years has really built our area a good solid base of ladies with good long term sobriety for sponsorship.

Did I mention I still do at least 4 meetings a week and still love them.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Quite amazing to see you post something like this Dan.

I have witnessed a great change of viewpoint from you in the short time I have been reading your posts.

Thank you for sharing.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If my memory serves me, you were just like me in our viewpoints on AA. I didn't want to go and I thought it would be shamefull and embarassing. I thought it was for bums and losers. Now I love it, I have new friends and I can see hope for myself. SR gave me the push to go when I didn't want to, and now I cannot stay away from the rooms.

I'm really glad that you have also found a program that you like, and that you have been able to stay away from the booze.

Tonight I am making coffee for the first time at my usual Friday night meeting and I am looking forward to it. I've been sober for the longest time since I was 15. I walked into AA just so I could say I really did try everything, and I didn't think I could stay sober for even a week.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I didn't want to go and I thought it would be shamefull and embarassing.
You hit the nail on the head with that one. I could have never been more wrong either. All I found was a room full of people that can relate to me.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Wow! Thanks Dan and UserName!

You two brightened my evening!
Old 02-02-2008, 01:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

way to go Dan-san ... what SugarEspun said...