Notices

Shaneo20 needs help

Old 07-02-2007, 05:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I feel much better after my second meeting tonight and I don't think the remaining withdrawal will be too dangerous. The meeting was about the 12 steps and I'm looking forward to working them. Each member talked about how the steps have helped them to take control of their life and sort out deep rooted hang-ups. Being new I talked about how alcohol has impacted on my life and how I had come to arrive at AA. I really surprised myself. I thought I'd only be able to mumble a few words but they flowed really easily. I was worried I'd break down, especially regarding the ex, but I talked for over 5 minutes and have felt as though a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I'm already starting to feel comfortable and it is only my first day. I can't wait to finish the second.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Tazman I was writing my post while you were posting. You've got me a little worried now about the detox. I really don't want to go on medication but perhaps I should get a check done on the vitals. At the moment my shaking has become less noticeable and I feel pretty good. I don't know if I'll sleep tonight but if I find I'm getting worse I'll have to do something. Do you think that I'll get worse given that I'm starting to feel better Tazman?
Old 07-02-2007, 05:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Shane I am not a doctor, everyone is different, my wild guess and mind you it is only a guess is....... well I can not bring myself to venture a guess, the shakes and blood pressure are 2 different animals. If you do not want to do a medical detox it may not be a bad idea as you brought up to see if one of the folks from AA might hang out with you for the next few days in case something does go haywire they could call an ambulance.

Shane I certainly did not meant to scare you, but just to make you aware the detox is unpredictable and different for every one. I just want you to be prepared and do it as safely as possible.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, shane - keep posting and be safe with detox. blessings, k
Old 07-02-2007, 06:25 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Shane, I'd glad that you are here! Keep at it you are doing great!
Old 07-02-2007, 10:55 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Shane -

Welcome to the SR family. You are on the right track!!

TinLizzy
Old 07-02-2007, 04:01 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

OK it's the 2nd day and I just completed my 3rd meeting. It's about 35 hours since my last drink and I didn't get any sleep last night but I feel reasonable. I'm actually considering getting assistance with this if I notice any bad symptoms aside from the insomnia. I've been trying to hand myself completely over to God and I feel some relief. Every time I ask Him to receive me and forgive my past wrongs I spontaneously break out in tears (including this sentence). This is not good because I'm writing this at work. It has been so long since I've reached out to Him.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:01 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hang in there mate. I am on day 4 myself. It will get better!

Look out for symptoms like intense sweating, fast heartbeat, increased bloodpressure, heavy shakes and hallucinations. If you get any of that, contact your doctor asap!
Old 07-02-2007, 05:20 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks nakur. I feel pretty normal except for the insomnia. This could be due in part to thinking about the ex. I'll feel much more confident when I get the 48 hours up in 12 hours time. I am just a little worried that everyone really recommends a doctor's supervision. This will take me away from work etc. which I'll do if need be but I'd like to get around this and keep attending AA meetings. nakur what withdrawal symptoms have you been experiencing?
Old 07-02-2007, 05:26 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Glad you're here, Shaneo.

There's a lot of support and good info here.
I agree with Tazman. Somebody should know what's going on to keep an eye out for you. Keep posting and let us know how things are going for you.

Brightest blessings!

BHJ
Old 07-02-2007, 06:43 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Shane, I had panic attacks on day 1, high bloodpressure, a tingling sensation all over my body and the first night I heard crazy voices in my head. Quite scary but after a few hours sleep on day 2 I felt better. Now 72 hours later, I am feeling quite ok but it's very difficult to fall asleep (3:40 am now )

Everybody is worried about you because withdrawal is different for every person, you can have many symptoms on day 1 like I had but it can sometimes take up to 4-5 before the worst (like DT) comes. You might not need consant supervision but your doctor can prescribe your medicines like valium to make the withdrawal easier and prevent DT.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:11 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Good news. I decided to take your advise and went and sore a doctor. My blood pressure was a little high at 150/90 but my temperature, pulse and blood sugar were excellent. He thinks I'd have worse withdrawal symptoms by now if I'll eventually develop the DTs and he said the blood pressure may be just down to nerves. Still he gave me some diazepam in case I do start seizing or if I want some help to sleep. I don't like the idea of taking the drugs but at least I know they are there if needed. This really put my mind at ease so thanks everyone who urged taking a safe approach.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:31 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Super!! We all want you sober and safe too!

Keep in focus with your meetings
and everything will improve!

Blessings
Old 07-03-2007, 03:45 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Shane glad to hear you went to see the doctor, keep going to those meetings, the more you go to the quicker things will get better. Get phone numbers and speak to some folks about a temporary sponsor.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:06 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hang in Shane -

There is a whole beautiful world out there for you to experience! You've seen the doc and all will be ok. Just take it one hour at a time -

TinLizzy
Old 07-03-2007, 05:17 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi Shaneo!

Glad you went to a doctor. And glad you let us know how you are. Hang in there and stick around.

Keep going to your meetings. I find them very helpful and very necessary. The same with this forum. And if you have to, write down what you've been going through. I know that I certainly don't want to do it again.

All my best to you, shaneo

BHJ
Old 07-03-2007, 06:37 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, this is day 3. I finally got some sleep last night with the help of 5 mg of diazepam. The split-up with the ex weighs heavily on my mind when ever I try to sleep. I know 5 mg isn't much but I don't want to rely on the drug. Also I've been told Valium is highly addictive. Tonight I'm going to try to sleep without it and if I don't get any sleep I'll take some the next night. AA has been really great. I met a lady at this morning's meeting who had similar relationship problems and I felt much better after talking to her. I underestimated the value of talking to people who have dealt with similar problems/losses and have alcohol issues. It really puts things into perspective and shows me that things will get better if I stay diligent. After all people have had far greater hardships and overcome them.

On another note I will have to review my social outings. I played snooker last night as part of a teams competition. In the teams competition you hang around till all 5 players have finished. The problem is it was a bit rough having everyone around me drinking. I may have to insist that I play first and get out of there early from now on. I also have a singles competition but that is easier because you don't hang around all night and people are more serious and don't get as drunk. Actually there are quite a few non/ex- drinkers.

Another social problem is what do you do on weekends? AA here has meetings every night of the week except Sundays and Fridays. Sundays I could go to church but FRIDAYS? That is definitely my most dangerous night (I used to love getting drunk on Friday nights). My mother said I can go and visit her (about an hour away) which is cool but I want to find a more permanent solution. Can anyone suggest what I can do for social activities (remembering all of my friends are very heavy drinkers)?
Old 07-03-2007, 07:28 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hi Shane,

Is there a new friend from AA that you can make plans with for Friday night? How about taking yourself to see a movie, or go to the bookstore, you can hang out there, have coffee etc. I pretty much waste whole afternoons at Barnes and Noble lol. Also, I've rediscovered the public library here too.

Alot of us are hanging round here Friday nights too!
Old 07-03-2007, 07:45 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thank you merlotmamma. I thought about making plans with someone from AA. I get bored spending time on my own but maybe the movie idea is a good one for this Friday. I'd love to find an activity that I really really look forward to. The whole week was in anticipation of the Friday night guzzle and the weekend wipe out. I'll probably never find an activity that produces the anticipation that the weekend poisonings did, purely because I don't want to find an activity that physically and mentally grips me with addiction, but I'd love to think of something that isn't merely filling in hours but rather excites me. I used to love sport but injuries have stopped that. I do love eating so maybe dinner with fellow AA members is a good idea.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:21 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

OK I'm on day 4 and feeling pretty good. I had a peaceful sleep without the use of diazepam or anything else. In fact I nearly slept in and awoke at 6:55 am so I had to rush a bit to get to my 7:30 am AA meeting. The natural sleep is a real turning point for me personally. I am beginning to leave behind the guilt I feel for emotionally hurting my ex. Also I'm not as anxious about living life without her. Things really do happen for a reason and now it is up to God and I to work toward the future. The Serenity Prayer sums up the way I should approach life from here on in, with God's help of course. Thank you to everyone who reads/contributes to this thread, I know it is only via electronic means, however it is good to get things off my chest. On another note, last night I played one of the best snooker frames I have in a long long time. It is far easier to play when each ball looks as one well defined sphere instead of appearing blurred or doubled.