Notices

Shaneo20 needs help

Old 07-30-2007, 05:50 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I had another fantastic AA meeting this morning. This is day 30 for me. I was completely surprised today when I was given my "1 month chip". So far the last four weeks have been a lot easier than I expected and more than one person says they can see a definite change, both physically and mentally. The people actually volunteer this without any prompting on my part. I feel so much better but do get a little depressed occasionally, however this is occurring less frequently. I love sobriety and really hope I can stay strong.

On a sadder note, I have seen quite a few people bust. Alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful. Today a lady came in who had had 5 years up. This was the first time I'd laid eyes on her. She thought she was in control and stopped going to meetings and working the steps. She busted. To see her today was sad. She was withdrawing and felt defeated. She said she would give anything to still be 5 years sober. In her latest binge she had done a great deal of damage and had no idea to what extent only that she had apparently been driving and her children were really upset and she had behaved terribly. She had no idea how much she had drunk over the weekend or what it was. Until this bust she had had the best 5 years of her life. She said she couldn't believe how powerful alcohol was and had underestimated it.

This has reinforced to me not to become complacent. This lady really hammered home to everyone at the meeting that you must keep doing the program. I feel so sorry for her and hope everything works out for her but I think this may have really brought home a message to others.

Thank you everyone,
Shane.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:48 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Shane congrats on the first 30 24 hours!!!!

One of the great things about AA is the reminders that can not be ignored that alcohol will always be cunning baffling and powerful!!!!

My hat is off to the lady, she helped you and many others including me stay sober, by being honest and sharing her relapse experience. I remind myself every morning that I am an alcoholic and reinforce that via AA.