Notices

Even strangers are calling me an alcoholic.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Even strangers are calling me an alcoholic.

I'm a man of routine. I go to the same shops for the same products everday. Newspaper, same foods, things like that. So I guess when you go to the same place for vodka or lager for months, at around 11AM, and the same people deal with you, they come to realise the situation your in. Yesterday, I went to pick up some chinese food from the chinese resturant that I always go to, he gestured at my beer and said, "You like beer?". A completely innocent question, and I said that I do indeed like beer. A pause. "You drink everyday?" - I was rather surprised to hear that question from someone who doesnt know me in the slightest. I put on a confused face. He then said; "A crate, of beer, everyday, yes?". It really made me realise about myself when the only thing that some people know about me is the fact I'm an alcoholic.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I used to rotate liquor stores so they "wouldn't know".....yeah, right.

I've heard it said, that if you keep hearing something about yourself, there's probably some truth to it.

The good news is you don't have to known as a practicing alcoholic. I don't know if we ever shed the stigma from our friends and family as alcoholics, but I do know my new boss doesn't have a clue. To her I'm the best ting since sliced bread. (And no, that's not grandiose, self-centered thinking, they really do like me here)
Old 06-18-2007, 12:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Your post re enforces my idea that
"secret drinker" is just a mental idea
held by some of us.

Glad to see you again....
Old 06-18-2007, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow I do the same thing.. rotate where I buy trying to hide it. I know the one close to home knows because I can tell by the looks I get... dignity.. where did you go? when you come back kick your dead ass brother shame out... PLEASE!
Old 06-18-2007, 06:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow I do the same thing.. rotate where I buy trying to hide it.
Thought you were the only one, huh ?

Stick around, there's a lot of things we alkies share in common.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So are there others out there that have been able to hide it from their family and work?
Old 06-18-2007, 06:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My coworkers used to ask why I was always so shaky. I started to think I wouldn't be able to work it was becoming such a problem. Plus, I figured no one would know if I had one beer on my lunch break.

I used to go to stores in different towns. It was really getting ridiculous!
Old 06-18-2007, 06:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hmmm...secret? Not my adrinking.

I used to call friends and family in a blackout.
Usually at 3 a.m....

Work? I went to 1st AA meeting because
I got fired . I had missed a very important
event....passed out and did not set the alarm.

And I know co workers could smell the
stale alcohol my pores oozed each morning.
I also missed work often...too
drunk and or depressed to go.

I certainly did not keep drinking a secret..
Neither do I keep my recovery!!
Old 06-18-2007, 07:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"Even strangers are calling me an alcoholic."

When that starts happening it's time to start paying attention. I used to think people were calling me that because they were just nasty
Old 06-18-2007, 09:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

been there and done that... man my former "dealer" even fronted me booze one day when my debit card didn't debit.

Ahhhh good times.... NOT.

Levi
Old 06-18-2007, 09:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
So are there others out there that have been able to hide it from their family and work?
Well, I thought I did......
Old 06-19-2007, 04:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

I thought I was hiding it from my work until I was called into the office and confronted about it.

My family and better half, they always knew.

Controlled drinking meant for me to drink as much as possible and try to control my speech, walk, appearance, etc ...
Old 06-19-2007, 04:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Well you might say I thought I was hiding it, everyone knew I had a problem, I thought I was fooling them! LOL

Man I hid booze all over my garage, in my truck, in my sheds, outside the fence of my back yard!!! I even would pull trash out of the trash can to throw the empties in and then put the trash back on top of them to "HIDE" them! Gee I wonder if the noise of all those cans and bottles rattling around when they took the trash out to the curb may have been noticed? LOL
Old 06-19-2007, 06:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Controlled drinking meant for me to drink as much as possible and try to control my speech, walk, appearance, etc ...
Ted.....
Old 06-19-2007, 06:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Rude awakening huh...keep posting...
Old 06-19-2007, 08:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't think I ever hid the fact that I drank just the amount. Taz I used to be an expert at hiding empties in the trash. You would think we would realize that if if we are having to hide something maybe we should not be doing it in the first place.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

You would think we would realize that if if we are having to hide something maybe we should not be doing it in the first place.
Yea I know, but some how my girl friend (alcohol) convinced me she was okay and I did not have a problem, I just had to hide her to where others who did not know better would think everything was okay.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Heck, I used to rotate stores and I would buy 6 packs of different brands of beer so nobody would think it was all for me.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oh yeah.....drinking wine in a coffee mug so my husband wouldn't 'know'.....buying half size bottles that would fit in the cabinet under my computer desk so I wouldn't have to be seen going to the fridge(I didnt care if it wasn't cold) rotating stores......walking into my local wine shop after 3 days of going somewhere else and the women there asking me where I'd been-they'd missed seeing me every day....

I bumped into one of them recently after almost 3 weeks sober and she said they'd all been worried sick about me-thought something serious had happened given I'm usually there most days.

Oh-and having one of them say'You're only buying one bottle today?' (I usually bought 2)

The only person I was kidding was myself.Rude awakening huh?

Rosexox

Last edited by Jules62; 06-19-2007 at 03:22 PM. Reason: added something
Old 06-19-2007, 03:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yup. I was the queen of hidey places. Knock on wood I'm not going to go through that routine again. I'd pour vodka or rum into a mason jar and stick it behind the oil and vinegar jars in my cupboard, (husband doesn't cook). Or, I'd wash out a white vinegar jar and keep vodka in it. Or....I'd keep a bottle of chilled white wine hidden at the back of the fridge hidden under a pile of vegetables. I'd keep booze, any kind, in my bedroom closet on the floor in back of my sewing machine and behind a long winter jacket. Again, a place nobody would look.

We recycle glass here, so, that was great for me. Didn't have to worry about glass bottles banging around in the garbage. And, oh, I do the recycling, even better! I threw all the bottles away. Husband probably thought it was great that I never asked him to recycle the glass. I'd use a big box and put the booze bottles on the bottom and all the food jars on top.

"Going to the recycle place! Be back in a minute!" Then I'd throw away a dozen wine bottles that he never saw, some vodka, rum. Beer.

Yup, rotating stores. I'm raising my hand here, too.

Sometimes I'd get so plastered I couldn't remember if I drank up all the hidden stuff or if I lost some of it. Many a morning was spent looking for that lost bottle. Did I drink it? Or did I forget where I hid it?