Notices

Even strangers are calling me an alcoholic.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:09 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I can see myself in every one else's posts.

I've had strangers say things to me about my drinking. Many of the people who were close to me were too afraid to say something.

I've had comments at the stores where I got it. I switched to kegged beer to avoid empty beer bottles.

I brewed my own beer for a short period of time. The people at the wine store where I bought the beer making kits even said something. My production couldn't keep up with my consumption. The home brewed beer merely complimented my other brands that I'd buy at a store.

For a couple years before I quit, I used a "U-Brew-It" place. It was a place where the customers could brew their own beer. The store actually brewed my beer for me, keeping 2 batches on the go at all times so I'd never run out. A year after I quit, I returned my empty kegs for my deposit. The owner asked if I switched to another place. I told him I quit drinking, and he said he was happy for me. This is a guy who I used to pay $97 dollars each week to keep me drunk.
chip
Old 06-23-2007, 03:19 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

On Friday afternoon, I called in my liquor
order to be delivered at 8 a.m. Saturday.

On the 3rd Friday with no call...
the owner phoned me at work
to see if I was still alive!
Old 06-23-2007, 03:43 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

My local liquor shop just closed....(the one in stumbling distance from me)
I've been sober for nearly 12 weeks...now I'd *like* to think it's a co-incidence....but....

LOL
D
Old 06-25-2007, 12:29 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
let it grow!

dee and carol and everyone - thank god you found recovery and can come here and tell us these stories.

i know when i was with my daughter's dad - he filled a whole metal yard shed AND the back of 2 old broken pick up truck covered beds with beer cans - crushed down flat. it was something to see..i just imagine how many more were hidden away.

thanks and blessings, k
Old 06-25-2007, 01:50 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
My local liquor shop just closed....(the one in stumbling distance from me)
I've been sober for nearly 12 weeks...now I'd *like* to think it's a co-incidence....but....

LOL
D
Aww come on Dee. You and I both know that nothing can exsist without us ! Jobs/Companies, Families/Wifes, heck, even liquor stores. You just proved a point !

Here's one more. I was renting a room. never even saw or talked to my room mate. I still hid the booze. Crazy, huh ?

Oh,another one. Empties in the spare tire compartment of my car. (The little airline kind). I got a flat one day with a co-worker. Thankfully, she walked off to smoke and didn't see the 100 or so little empties back there.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:18 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I didn't bother throwing out my empty bottles of wine in my garbage. I put them in a trash bag and drive around looking for a dumpster to throw them in. And when the little bottles of wine came out I was in heaven because I could sneak them in my home in my purse.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:38 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

I used to rotate stores all the time too. I also travel quite a bit for my job and I would worry about how to buy the beer and get it into my hotel room without any of the hotel staff or my co-workers seeing it. I would dump my dayplanner and files out of my briefcase in my hotel room each night and then drive to a convenience store (a different one each night) and buy a 12 pack and hide it in my briefcase and then rush back into my room, worrying that a co-worker would see me and wonder why I was carrying my briefcase out to dinner and back every night.

One night towards the end of my drinking days, I was driving down International Drive in Orlando looking for a convenience store that I hadn't already been to and a stupid tourist stepped out in front of my car and I nearly ran him over. At that point, I realized how crazy I was to be driving that far on I-drive with all the crazy tourists everywhere, when I had just passed a perfectly good liquor store that was right next door to my hotel because I was worried that the people at that store would recognize me. Gosh I don't miss those days at all....
Old 06-25-2007, 09:45 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I would worry about how to buy the beer and get it into my hotel room without any of the hotel staff or my co-workers seeing it.
Easy, switch to Vodka

I just remembered another one. Buying a big bottle of booze at 6:45 AM from the supermarket because the liquor store wasn't open yet. My daughters friend was the cashier......oops. I mumbled some excuse that neither of us believed.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:05 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

You know, I actually tried the hard liquor on one trip... I bought bottles of rum before leaving and rolled them up in my blue jeans in my suitcase, figuring that it would be easy to just buy sodas in the vending machines in the hotel. Unfortunately, when I got to my hotel room and unpacked, I discovered that the rum had broken in my suitcase and all of my clothes were drenched in alcohol. I had to spend my first evening in San Antonio driving all around a strange neighborhood trying to find a laundromat to wash all of my clothes. I never packed liquor in a suitcase again after that fiasco.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:12 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

LOL @ DKS !!!!! (OK, with DKS )

The trip from hell !!!!! Imagine if you got pulled over !!!!!
Old 06-25-2007, 10:29 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Man this sounds like me! I know all the delis around where I live and the ones I "could go to" or "couldn't" cause I'd been in there drunk. And ordering online...I found the places that would deliver alcohol and then rotate them. I can't believe how much money I spent on hurting myself!
Old 06-26-2007, 09:17 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

LOL I must be the odd man in this one, I did not give a rats patoot if a 7-11 knew I was buying a 12 pack every day for my ride home, or grocery store clerk knew I was buying a 12 pack every day for after I got home, I did all my concealment on the other end, I have not bought a beer in 9 months and I am still finding empties and an occasional stash in my garage or one of my sheds or around my fence line.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:06 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Did a whole family weekend without and now.. well hey not too good.
I am on the way through my 40 of vodka and reading the cliches... they make such great solutions.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:17 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Many of us had false starts on sobriety
Lazlo...it took me 4 years to finally quit drinking.

Glad to see you did have a sober weekend

Keep in focus Keep trying
Old 06-29-2007, 09:55 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I'm from the west coast of Canada where there are beer and wine stores everywhere. It was so darn easy to rotate. I finished my drinking career in Ontario where the only outlets were the LCBO. As a wino, I could only go to the LCBO. I felt "outed". There was one older guy at the local LCBO I frequented and I HATED when he was at the cashier. He never said a word but I was under the impression (cuz I'm an alcoholic and it's all about me..lol) that he KNEW..that he was silently "tsk tsking" me. I hated that guy...lol. Wonder if he misses me? LOL.