Notices

i just bit he dusst...,.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:32 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Careful Music, there'll be thought police.....................

lol!
Old 03-28-2007, 08:48 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I think sometimes my codependent tendencies kick in. I would fix everyone if I could. But there's only one person I can fix.

I know all I can really do is pray and let Homer know I am out there. Which I guess I have already done. I would hate to have him post and have NO ONE reply though.

PS Thanks for the BB quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:29 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hey homer, it sounds like you are 'spiralling' (like drinking more and more and going a bit weird with it, that's my definition lol).
You know you need to stop but the closer you get to stopping the more you drink?

I am just guessing but it sounds similar to what I went through.

I had to wait 6 weeks for rehab and I was full of despair so I drank more, I got so drunk I cut my arm up one night and other weird things.

I knew I had to quit and with support from this place I have begun to.

First, I decided I had quit and that was the end of it. I had a huge 'honeymoon period' for 2 weeks and then had a bad bout of depression and slipped. I didn't go on a bender, I just drank for one day and bought enough to get drunk but without going out of control, loopy. I have also slipped twice since but didn't lose hope or go on a bender/binge.

I have just started rehab after waiting 6 weeks and I don't see it as a miracle cure. We all have to find our own way.

I think I had a point when I started waffling!
The main point is stick around! We aren't all 10 year sober people judging you, a lot of us might have slipped recently (like me). We can all remember feeling exactly like you.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:31 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
New things have come to light

Originally Posted by came2believe View Post
But there's only one person I can fix.

can you really fix yourself?
Old 03-28-2007, 09:39 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

can you really fix yourself?
Nope, but you are the only one who can keep you sober.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:39 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

All things are possible in recovery.

Those that we feel are lost in addiction, sometimes can and do, have successful recovery. I have seen this happen.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:41 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

if you can keep yourself sober, why would one need recovery?
Old 03-28-2007, 09:42 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

There's a big difference between being dry and recovering.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:55 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Slowbriety, do you have a point? Or are you just picking off sentences and playing devils advocate with them?
Old 03-28-2007, 09:57 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

the point would be understanding.

if you can fix yourself why do you need AA?
if you can keep yourself sober why do you need AA?

does it bother you the questions i am asking?
Old 03-28-2007, 10:13 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Sober and Free

I'm sorry Homer, I just reconize a bit of myself in your posts, no matter how long you've been saying them. But I am leaving this thread. I don't come here to debate, I come to help myself and others. Debates like this just lead me to drama that I don't need, and trigger all my judgemental fears. I'll run away in the end if I stay, so off I go. Self care It's pointless to go in debating circles for me.

I can't fix you, but always open to a new friend. Feel free to PMme if you'd like to chat.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:25 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

It doesn't bother me.

Ultimately we all have responsibility for ourselves. Ultimately we all have genuine influence over one thing only, and that's ourselves. But we are mistaken if we think that we exist in isolation - and that's a mistake that defines "alcoholism" - people who exist in isolation with drink. To break that relationship and that isolation we need to let "power" from outside, in. Once that power from outside comes in, we can begin to see ourselves, and drink, and the context in which we live, appropriately.

The "power" is anything which is not-us. Anything which can convince us that we cannot "fix" everything. By seeing we cannot fix everything, we see what we can fix.

I go to AA to repay my debt, and to be available for still suffering alcoholics. I go because it helps to make sure I don't slip back into emotional, mental and - if you like - spiritual isolation. When I do, everything becomes disproportionate and a drink isn't far away.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:29 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Have to disgree Taz...the only one that can keep me sober is the God of my understanding
Old 03-28-2007, 10:29 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I will still pray for you, Homer. You have been told repeatedly what you need to do. When you are finally in enough pain maybe, hopefully,you will be willing to do whatever it takes to be sober.

It is ultimately up to you and no amount of kind words or even love from all of us will get you there.

I pray that someday soon, before it's too late, you have that "light bulb" moment that many of us here want for you.

This is a serious, ultimately, deadly disease, and you are in it. It isn't a game.

It is with sadness that I realize at this point all I can do for you is pray. I will.

-Kathleen
Old 03-28-2007, 10:40 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by Music View Post
From the Big Book, Working with Others:

"When you discover a prospect for Alcoholics Anonymous, find out all you can about him. If he does not want to stop drinking, don't waste time trying to persuade him. You may spoil a later opportunity. This advice is given for his family also. They should be patient, realizing they are dealing with a sick person."

Anyone who's been around SR for any length of time will recognize Homer/Patrick as being one who comes here when it's convenient, when he's starved for attention, and/or has nothing better to do. We've been listening to Homer for at least the past two to three years saying the same things over and over. For those of you who want to extend sympathy to Homer; I know it makes you feel good to do so, but that's not what Homer needs. Homer needs to hit bottom hard enough, and go low enough to realize that there's only one way to go and that's up. Homer, you obviously haven't reached that point yet. So, for my part, I'm just going to say this. You hold tight to that shovel Homer and keep digging until you get sick and tired of being sick and tired. As long as alcohol remains your higher power and the most important thing in your life is you, there's not much else to be said.

Music,

You hit the nail on the head! It also says in that same chapter that if I spend too much time with a man who doesn't want to hear what I have to say or accept my help. that I may be depriving another suffering alcoholic a chance to recover.

Your in sobriety,
steady eddie
Old 03-28-2007, 11:02 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Slowbriety View Post
the point would be understanding.

if you can fix yourself why do you need AA?
if you can keep yourself sober why do you need AA?

does it bother you the questions i am asking?
Err, why would it bother me?
Why do you keep on just throwing out questions?
Do you think you know the answers?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:12 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
let it grow!

how are you, homer?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:15 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hi homer, u keep coming back, that is the main thing! I don't care if you are pissed off your head, this is an addiction forum afterall.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:17 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

debates over opinions? we all have our views and they all different. everything my ole friend "music" said is pretty much the truth,he means no harm,hes offered advice countless times and im still being ME. not sure if i post here for attention or just out of boredom,but i honestly do wish i was a non-drinker,seems hard to beleive by my actions tho.lets end this thread cuz i hate arguements over what i created. and thanks for sharing info with me,im out
Old 03-28-2007, 11:24 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Well...I wasn't going to post any more, and I realize that Homer has asked us to end this thread, but.. I just had to say.

Homer, people debate because they want to. You simply aren't responsible for that. You didn't create the argument. No need to take the responsibility over others actions. Let people own their own stuff.

Ok, now I really am done.

-K