Notices

...of mice and men. Part 2

Old 03-27-2007, 11:13 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hi Ed, did you have 'black pudding' in the UK, it is basically made from pigs blood but tastes really nice!
I bet poutine is nice!

I am sorry I mentioned the fanny thing now lol! It means a part of the body only ladies have. I find it funny cos we have lots of american TV shows here and they say it frequently.

Right I am going now, I will try not to let the door hit me on the way out lol!
Old 03-27-2007, 11:31 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by stone View Post
Hi Ed, did you have 'black pudding' in the UK, it is basically made from pigs blood but tastes really nice!
I bet poutine is nice!

I am sorry I mentioned the fanny thing now lol! It means a part of the body only ladies have. I find it funny cos we have lots of american TV shows here and they say it frequently.

Right I am going now, I will try not to let the door hit me on the way out lol!
Stone,

I have not had "black pudding" but I'll be sure to try it when I'm there. There's a cajun sausage called "Boudine" in New Orleans. It's translated into "Blood Sausage". It's made in a casing of pig's intestine. God knows what's in it, but it sure tastes good after you cook it on the grill.

If you can think of anything else I need to try, send me a list and I'll knock off one at a time while in the UK.

Yeah, it's funny how some words mean two or three different things depending on which country you're in. Fanny's pretty innocent here. Would love to have an "American to UK to Canada to others,etc. dictionary. That's one book I'd sit down and read.

Hope the rehab's going well Stone. I'm really prayin' for ya!!!!!
Old 03-27-2007, 12:15 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

The worst recipe ever has to be haggis or whatever they call it!

Old 03-27-2007, 12:34 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

(((Stone)))...apologies as I have lost touch with this post in past while. I'm soooooooo glad you are FINALLY in rehab. This terrific news makes my whole damn day! How many days has it been now...is it "feeling right"? Hope you understand what I mean by that. It can't be easy....
Old 03-28-2007, 08:08 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hi Ed, there aren't that many British foods I can think of tbh, fish and chips, roast beef and yorkshire puddings, lancashire hotpot are some but if you are 'eating out' 9 times out of 10 they will be badly prepared and basically crap. Personally I would rather eat chinese or Indian food if I am eating out.
You are going to London and there are a lot of good restaraunts there though.

Hush, yes haggis is foul!

Hi Nuu, yes rehab finally came around, those 6 weeks flew by really but 7 weeks ago 6 weeks felt like a life time as I was spiralling out of control badly.
I have only been twice so far (it is 2 days a week for 6 weeks) and it feels OK yes. Not perfect in every way but I am glad I am going, it depends on who is running the group to some extent. It is getting me thinking about things in a good way and I like a lot of the people attending with me already.

We haven't spoken for a while so here is a big hug just for you Nuu!
Old 03-28-2007, 08:14 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Stone is this an all day affair? The rehab I mean.

I watched a show on how Haggis is made and even the people who ate it said it was NASTY!!!!!
Old 03-28-2007, 08:26 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Hi Taz, it is 4 hours a day, as much as I like it I don't think I could take more than 4 hours lol.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:29 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

What do you expect of haggis? It comes from Scotland for G*d's sake, the country that gave you the deep fried Mars bar. In fact, people slag off Glasgow for the deep fried Mars bar - when I was a kid I used to get pizza suppers, and the pizzas were deep fried. Jeez until I moved to Liverpool I thought that was how pizzas were made everywhere!.

I would raise a glass to my Glasgow upbringing but whenever I do I get these shooting pains in my arm....
Old 03-28-2007, 08:43 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Lol Paul! Those deep fried mars bars sound quite nice!
I stayed in scotland for a while and was quite surprised that they deep fried pizzas too, in fact for a long time I thought deep fried mars bars was just a joke!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:00 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Thankfully I have many personal issues to address, but a love of deep fried Mars bars isn't one of them......

I think that would be a bridge too far. That and Buckfast......

<shivers>
Old 03-28-2007, 09:15 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Wink

I've been told to avoid haggis and I will. I don't even know now whether I'll be making the trip. The wife and I had a looooooong coversation last night. The outcome of which is still to be known. To save you the boring details, I've decided that I have to apply the well known saying "To Thine Own Self Be True" to me.

I try to help others by making suggestions that I believe will make a difference. I hadn't realized that quite possibly I should be taking my own advice. It sure is easy to dish it out, but tough to swallow when I have to take it. Anyway, I'm told in a book I love that I will experience a new freedom. Since our discussion last night, I do feel a new freedom. The freedom to take the chances I've always wanted to take. The freedom to fall down and get right back up again. The freedom to be wrong instead of being scared not to even try.

And occasionally, the freedom to experience having made the right decision. Sorry for the rambling, just needed to get that out so I could actually see it.

Yours in sobriety,
steady eddie
Old 03-28-2007, 09:38 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
New things have come to light

steady eddie
WTF is that about? LMMFAO
Old 03-28-2007, 09:43 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

steady eddie
Next week he will be calling himself "Readie Freddie" LOL
Old 03-28-2007, 09:43 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

That's not so good Ed good luck with whatever you are going through.
I think a lot of us forget you have problems too (similar with Taz), and you need some support sometimes so here is a

as for advice, I always resort to Oscar Wilde for pithy sayings!

'The only thing to do with good advice is pass it on. It is never any use to oneself.'

Old 03-28-2007, 09:55 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Ed my friend I know I am still a newbie, but if you ever want to talk brother shoot me a PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:02 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Haha! That is just brilliant! You play them? I 'lived' in scotland for a while and my exGF was showing me all the beautiful scenery, so remote and wild, we were in like primeval forest almost, miles away from everything...and there was some guy in a kilt playing the bagpipes! It freaked me out anyway!
Old 03-28-2007, 10:08 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Talking hi everyone

right thanks for making me feel welcome stone, chris728, talluleh, tazman53, bee62 andgypsy tears hope i didnt miss any one,
right not posted here due 2 did not see their were 4 pages lol still learning my way around had a good laugh reading about different meanings and foods,

my brother was given a hamper from work and it had a haggis in we never new how 2 cook it so we put it in the oven ate some it was horrid then we were both ill for days lmao never even seen one since lol,

anyway feeling a bit happier after reading and them memories thanks again
Old 03-28-2007, 10:33 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

For our friends across the water, it may be a good time to point out that Haggises (or Haggii - the collective noun being a "gusset" of Haggii) are unique in the animal kingdom. This is because they are the only animals which have evolved asymetrically. Every Haggis born has long left legs fore and aft, and very short right legs. This allows the animal to graze evenly on the steep slopes of the Cairngorms. It does mean however that they are remarkably easy to catch, since they can only run clockwise round mountains.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:53 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Do you know? It is not just the haggis that has one leg shorter than the other?.
We all do, that is why when we get lost we say we were going around in circles.
cough
Old 03-28-2007, 11:11 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hia paulmh !,
is that why the right legs are always cheaper, because the dont have as much meat on as the left ?.