Notices

Scared

Old 03-16-2007, 05:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Back to AA I go...
Problem with me is my damn ego..
Let me go with the quote first.

One thing we alcoholics share in common is a HUGE ego, in AA Bill W found that in order for recovery to begin in earnest that an alcoholics ego must be deflated.

Some folks scream that is wrong, if you take someones ego you have taken them to the very bottom.

Bill W did not mean that an alcoholics ego was to be destroyed, it just needed to be deflated enough to allow room for humility to enter the equation.

I had an ego so big it damn near killed me, I could do it all on my own, I was in charge, I can handle anything because I am me!! Well eventually the alcohol itself popped a hole in my ego, thank God the AA taught me that I now had some room in me for humility, the humility to realize I was truly powerless over alcohol and I needed help and was willing to accept it.

DO not get me wrong, being an alcohoic I still have an ego the size of Texas, but it has been deflated enough to allow humility in which means I know I am not superman, I can not do it alone, I need help, I need my HP, I need AA, I need meetings, I need to call other drunks, I need to call my sponsor, I need to work the steps.... I am not alone and I can not do this alone!

Toronto we all have our problems, some of us slip, we need to learn that our ego can kill us if we let it, or we can let humility in and admit we need help and get help with our problems. AA helps us see our egos and us them in a good way while at the same time being humble as we use it to help our selfs and others.

When you mentioned going back to AA had you simply quit going?

Did you have a sponsor?

Did you have a network that you called on a regular basis?

If my butt catches on fire for a drink I have my sponsors phone numbers and my AA network numbers to call 24 X 7, I have found there is tremendous power to be gained against booze by simply calling a sober alcoholic.

Were you working the steps?

I have found that for this drunk to stay sober and not pick up again that I have to be working my AA program and going to meetings, I need to make sure that as I stay in the day I also live the steps to my best ability.

TG28 if I called you because my butt was on fire would you talk to me?
Old 03-16-2007, 06:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Many of us had false starts before we found
solid recovery.

Keep in focus and move forward TG
Old 03-16-2007, 06:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
not a greeter

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-noticed.html

Can I suggest that you go back and read the thread you started? There's some good stuff in there .
Old 03-16-2007, 06:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey Tazman,

Yes I quit going to AA, no I did not have a sponsor nor a network to rely on and the step work was not there....

I kept telling myself that I can do this alone.. At times I could stop, but I could never stay stopped for a very long period of time..
Old 03-16-2007, 07:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm glad you came back Toronto!! A lot of people don't.

ONWARD WE GO MY FREIND!
Old 03-16-2007, 08:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

TG28 man you sound just like me, except my arse was so savagely kicked by alcohol that when I went to AA after detox I wanted to STAY sober and was scared I couldn't, I had tried for 10 years to do it on my own and only went to one meeting before detox and that was drunk. Going to an AA meeting drunk one time really didn't do me much good.

Any how when I got out of detox I did just like the folks in detox told me, go to at least 90 meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor.

AA for me at first was kind of a weird combination of a pain in the arse and a life saver, the more I listened in the meetings and to my sponsor though the more I came to love the meetings and the people, I can honestly say that in a weird kind of way I am glad I am an alcoholic, because there is no way except AA I would have ever met such a great group of people.