Notices

confused...

Old 02-09-2007, 05:18 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Pretty soon, .....the physical symptoms will be incapacitating. They will become so bad, that there will be no amount of booze you can ingest to ward off withdrawals. Severe withdrawals. You WILL lose your job.
I resemble(d) that remark. It's true. It's a living hell. I prayed for death. We don't want to see ANYONE have to live that way.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:26 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Golfman,

Brooke has obviously come here seeking help and enlightenment. No, maybe she's just not quite *there*... but is that any reason to give up on her? This is a support forum... isn't it? Just because someone isn't quite where you're at, does that mean they're not worthy of our time and attention? The words we say here can have a profound effect on people.. so please, choose your words wisely and with a kind heart. It has taken me months of reading messages here to get to the point where I am now... because I can tell you, four months ago I could say, almost verbatim, what Brooke has said. But by continuing to read, I am now where I'm at. Don't dump her because she can't quit TODAY. Maybe she'll quit tomorrow.

Kats
Old 02-09-2007, 11:23 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Brooke; I always envied people who didn't drink and had lots of fun in social occasions. My wife is one of those people. When we went out with our friends all I was occuppied with downing one beer after another until I become pissed as a fart. But my wife and most of her friends had more fun than I did.
I always thought I would be bored to death had I not drank when I went out. I was very wrong.

Now I am sober and I am having the time of my life with non-alcoholic drinks
Old 02-09-2007, 11:43 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
the Sober Ninja

Everyone makes references to horrible things that were the result of their drinking (dui's, car accidents, losing a job, etc.). I haven't experienced those things.
You haven't experienced those things YET! Alcoholism is progressive...

I can no longer make a decision to drink or not to drink, it's already made for me.
Sounds like some unmanagability to me...

And clearly, I must have some problem w/ it or I would have never come here. But that problem is mainly that I don't like having the shakes and feeling like I can no longer make a decision to drink or not to drink, it's already made for me...

I have never raised the bottle to enjoy a beverage. I have always raised it with the intentions of getting so blitzed out of my brain that I don't even know what is going on around me. The only times that I have ever turned away alcohol is after I have gotten coked up and know that I will never be able to feel inebriated.The reason I am struggling w/ making the committment is because I convince myself that there is no problem because I am able to carry out a normal life...
Suffering from the shakes and drinking to cover up everything sounds pretty "normal" to this alcoholic...
Old 02-10-2007, 02:38 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brooke8433 View Post
So I know everyone is going to dig their teeth into this one...but here's the thing: Everyone makes references to horrible things that were the result of their drinking (dui's, car accidents, losing a job, etc.). I haven't experienced those things. When I leave the house after drinking, or on my way to drink I don't drive. In the rare case that I leave sober and find myself getting tanked, I get home without driving. I haven't lost a job, a friend, a family member, because of my drinking habits. I don't sleep in, even if I pass out until 5 am, I am up at 8.

I don't know how I am able to function like I do, seeing as how I drink a ton of beer, liquor and wine each night, but I do. Can you see how it would be hard for me to accept the fact that I need to let this go when it's not ripping my life apart?

And clearly, I must have some problem w/ it or I would have never come here. But that problem is mainly that I don't like having the shakes and feeling like I can no longer make a decision to drink or not to drink, it's already made for me. I don't even remember the days that I just got wasted on the weekends, or just drank a few beers.

I have never raised the bottle to enjoy a beverage. I have always raised it with the intentions of getting so blitzed out of my brain that I don't even know what is going on around me. The only times that I have ever turned away alcohol is after I have gotten coked up and know that I will never be able to feel inebriated.

So I fully understand that if I have even the slightest problem w/ my drinking habits that that in itself is a reason to stop. The reason I am struggling w/ making the committment is because I convince myself that there is no problem because I am able to carry out a normal life...

I don't know if I am making any sense...but that's what I was getting at when I was talking about reaching an all time low.
Hey Brooke, this is my first post to you. Personally, I have had an alcohol problem just like yours. It's the "emotional" addiction. It's what my friends and I do. We drink. And we tend to drink a lot. I know I'm going to catch hell for this, but all of these people around here keep on preaching absenence. They keep on saying that you need to stop drinking completly. These people believe that anybody that drinks on a semi regular basis has a drinking problem. Now don't get me wrong. Drinking on a daily basis isn't right. (I've done this for years in the past) and I know it's wrong. But I've stopped drinking on a daily basis, and I only drink on the weekends now, and I don't think it's a problem.

You said that you were going out to celebrate a friends new job or promotion or something, and you said that you got wasted. When you say your wasted, do you mean you just got drunk, or do you mean falling down, blackout, out of control wasted?

If you were falling down, completely out of it, passed out wasted, during the middle of the week, then I'd question wether or not you have a problem.

But if your just going out getting moderatly drunk, I think you can stop with a little will power.

You just have to find something else to do with your time. For me, it's working out. It gives me something to do at night instead of drinking.

But on friday and saturday nights I still drink. And I feel thats allowed as long as your able to refrain from doing it the rest of the week

If your really scared of that idea (I once was) Do it like I did.

Take it one day at a time. Don't drink on Thursday for one week
Then the next week don't drink on wednesday or thursday
The following week, don't drink on tuesday, wednesday or thursday
Then don't drink on monday, tuesday, wednesday, or thursday

Then continue until your comfortable with the amount of days your drinking. The reason I am demonstrating this idea to you, is that I believe, givin your story, that you are not a true alcoholic. You simply have an emotional attachment to it. Just like me. An emotional addition can be broken through willpower. I have done it.

Like you, I have friends that drink. Some drink moderately, some drink way too much, and some barely drink at all. But none the less, I love them all, and I'm not willing to give up being friends with any of them, reguardless of how much they drink. They are my best freinds.

A lot of the people around here are true alcoholics. They are people that used to drink in the morning, in the afternoon, and even at night. And those people arn't like you and me. But those people would like you to think differently. They want you to think you have a serious problem because you like to party at night.

Although, I think it is a problem to party EVERY night, I do not think it is a problem to party once or twice a week.

Brooke, don't let these people persuade you from partying it up and having fun in a drinking atmosphere despite what these other peoples experiences are. If you can cut it down to a couple days a week, I'd say your fine.

If you can not. Then your not like me, and you need some help. But from what I've read from you, you sound a lot like me , and I think you can do it. You don't have to completely stop drinking. Just moderate it.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:16 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is factual info on what drinking does
to the brain.

http://www.alcohol-drug.com/neuropsych.htm

Be safe...quit drinking
Old 02-10-2007, 05:40 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kats View Post
Golfman,
Brooke has obviously come here seeking help and enlightenment. No, maybe she's just not quite *there*... but is that any reason to give up on her? This is a support forum... isn't it? Just because someone isn't quite where you're at, does that mean they're not worthy of our time and attention? The words we say here can have a profound effect on people.. so please, choose your words wisely and with a kind heart. It has taken me months of reading messages here to get to the point where I am now... because I can tell you, four months ago I could say, almost verbatim, what Brooke has said. But by continuing to read, I am now where I'm at. Don't dump her because she can't quit TODAY. Maybe she'll quit tomorrow.Kats
Sometimes the best way to support someone, is to step out of the way and let him take the fall, but be there when he tries to get up. A person can't change what they don't acknowledge.

Brook, your problem just isn't bad enough for you to want to change yet. So, stay out there until you've had enough. We'll be here when you come back.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:05 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

am in agreement with Music.
A person turned against their own will,
Is of the same opinion----still.
When one is willing to--listen,relate-looking for the similarities,
then one is on the road to recovery,and wanting recovery.
I too never had the stuff that others have gone through.Hub has.But the remorse,guilt,and all that inner conflick,inner hell,that was going on inside of me was not worth it,and i came to AA..Alcoholism IS,progressive.Ive known some alocholics that could drink a load full,and they seemed to be ok,no stumbling,sluring of words.Seen them only a few months later,where 2 drinks put their ass" on the floor.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:35 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stan50 View Post
Hey Brooke, this is my first post to you. Personally, I have had an alcohol problem just like yours. It's the "emotional" addiction. It's what my friends and I do. We drink. And we tend to drink a lot. I know I'm going to catch hell for this, but all of these people around here keep on preaching absenence. They keep on saying that you need to stop drinking completly. These people believe that anybody that drinks on a semi regular basis has a drinking problem. Now don't get me wrong. Drinking on a daily basis isn't right. (I've done this for years in the past) and I know it's wrong. But I've stopped drinking on a daily basis, and I only drink on the weekends now, and I don't think it's a problem.

You said that you were going out to celebrate a friends new job or promotion or something, and you said that you got wasted. When you say your wasted, do you mean you just got drunk, or do you mean falling down, blackout, out of control wasted?

If you were falling down, completely out of it, passed out wasted, during the middle of the week, then I'd question wether or not you have a problem.

But if your just going out getting moderatly drunk, I think you can stop with a little will power.

You just have to find something else to do with your time. For me, it's working out. It gives me something to do at night instead of drinking.

But on friday and saturday nights I still drink. And I feel thats allowed as long as your able to refrain from doing it the rest of the week

If your really scared of that idea (I once was) Do it like I did.

Take it one day at a time. Don't drink on Thursday for one week
Then the next week don't drink on wednesday or thursday
The following week, don't drink on tuesday, wednesday or thursday
Then don't drink on monday, tuesday, wednesday, or thursday

Then continue until your comfortable with the amount of days your drinking. The reason I am demonstrating this idea to you, is that I believe, givin your story, that you are not a true alcoholic. You simply have an emotional attachment to it. Just like me. An emotional addition can be broken through willpower. I have done it.

Like you, I have friends that drink. Some drink moderately, some drink way too much, and some barely drink at all. But none the less, I love them all, and I'm not willing to give up being friends with any of them, reguardless of how much they drink. They are my best freinds.

A lot of the people around here are true alcoholics. They are people that used to drink in the morning, in the afternoon, and even at night. And those people arn't like you and me. But those people would like you to think differently. They want you to think you have a serious problem because you like to party at night.

Although, I think it is a problem to party EVERY night, I do not think it is a problem to party once or twice a week.

Brooke, don't let these people persuade you from partying it up and having fun in a drinking atmosphere despite what these other peoples experiences are. If you can cut it down to a couple days a week, I'd say your fine.

If you can not. Then your not like me, and you need some help. But from what I've read from you, you sound a lot like me , and I think you can do it. You don't have to completely stop drinking. Just moderate it.
If you can not. Then your not like me, and you need some help. But from what I've read from you, you sound a lot like me , and I think you can do it. You don't have to completely stop drinking. Just moderate it.[/QUOTE]

H-O-L-Y C-O-W

Is this post even REAL?? These things like "If you drink on the weekends only, you arent an alcoholic" or "if you can cut it down to a couple days a week, you're fine" are TEXTBOOK statements by alcoholics in denial. Its almost word for word. Im sorry to break this to you,......but if getting blown out twice a week is important to you,...you got yourself a problem, my friend. And if I only had a dime for every alcoholic that said "I dont drink and drive".....well, I'd be rich. "Just moderate it"???? Oh,...thanks, man....like the problem is that alcoholics just havent thought of that yet. By the way,.....getting drunk every Friday and Saturday isnt "moderating".....its binge drinking. Normal social drinkers dont drink every weekend in most cases. They dont even drink every other week. There is no schedule for their drinking. They drink when there is a function or when it strikes their fancy. Then they stop. They stop and couldnt even tell you when the next time they will drink will be. You,...on the other hand, can say that you will be drinking in excess 7 days from today. Thats planned binge drinking. You also stated that we, recovering alcoholics, think that anyone who drinks on a semi-regular basis is an alcoholic. Uh,....no. First of all,....EVERY weekend isnt a "SEMI"- regular basis. Its "regular". And excessive "regular" at that. Regular basis would mean that a normal social drinker can have a beer with dinner or a few during a hockey or basketball game or something and thats it. Stopping there wouldnt bother them. NOT getting a buzz would be perfectly fine with them. The drinking you describe is all out binge drinking. Drinking to get drunk.......every weekend. Nothing normal about that. By the way,..."These people" as you describe us,.......used to be exactly like you,..except WE found recovery. You couldnt possibly know what "we" think or how "we" feel about others. By the way,......what the heck are you doing on a recovery site if you dont have a problem with your drinking? If you really thought your drinking wasnt a problem,...you wouldnt even know about this site to post here. I think I've made my point.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:37 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Golfman,

Brooke has obviously come here seeking help and enlightenment. No, maybe she's just not quite *there*... but is that any reason to give up on her? This is a support forum... isn't it? Just because someone isn't quite where you're at, does that mean they're not worthy of our time and attention? The words we say here can have a profound effect on people.. so please, choose your words wisely and with a kind heart. It has taken me months of reading messages here to get to the point where I am now... because I can tell you, four months ago I could say, almost verbatim, what Brooke has said. But by continuing to read, I am now where I'm at. Don't dump her because she can't quit TODAY. Maybe she'll quit tomorrow.

Kats

Thnaks Kats! The thing is, 2 weeks ago I would have never even come on here and READ anything, much less post something. I would have laughed at the idea. I would have laughed in the face of anyone who said I had a problem. Right now (at 11:30 am) I would be figuring out the best plan of action for the day to get some stuff done and make sure that I was well on my way to inebriation by 1 pm. I would most likely go get a baby salad for lunch to make sure there was nothing "heavy" in my stomach to slow down the process of attaining a buzz.

After I read a response last night I didn't want to even come back to this site, and I thought that if I ever got a reaction like that at an AA meeting, it would certainly make me walk away to never return. I think the fact that I am here is a miracle, not to mention the fact that I am aware that something needs to change. Whether or not I agree with everything that everyone says, it does help me to be here. Just because I cannot visualize quitting drinking at this very moment in time, does not mean that I am not moving in that direction.

Thanks again Kats, and everyone who posts w/o making me feel shunned for not (yet) being able to jump in 150%.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:13 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Brooke,
You are welcome here on this forum. Please don't be discouraged. In these forums, we often encounter people who rub us the wrong way. We can't let these people stop us from working on our problems. Coming here is very important to you as you work on your problem.

You are moving in the right direction. Realizing that you have a problem is a big hurdle to overcome. It sounds like you've figured this part out. Asking questions is another important thing to do.

I hope you'll find answers that work for you.

Have you ever talked to your doctor about your drinking? I think that would be a good idea.

Nobody here can convince you to quit. You need to make that decision on your own. Kats is making lots of sense.

It sounds to me like abstinence/recovery are your best option. It's not easy, but it is worth it. From my own personal experience, I can tell you my life is %150 better once I "bit the bullet". It gets better every day.

AA was the last thing I wanted to do. After giving it a try, I've decided that it is the best way for me to stay sober. I really looked down on it for years before I actually started going. Now that I'm a part of it, I can't imagine sober life without it. Being around other people who understand is very important to me. My family and friends are sympathetic, but only another recovering alcoholic understands what it's like for me. Only another sober alcoholic can help me stay sober.

I hope you'll be able to move towards and into sobriety. Keep coming back, and keep us posted on your progress.

You are not alone.
chip
Old 02-10-2007, 11:53 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hey brooke,
well done to you for sticking with us,it shows that you have a desire to stop drinking which is the only requirement that any true believer in the AA principals needs to hear,before extending the hand of friendship.Something that some old timers could do with remembering.Stay reading & posting brooke and soon the penny will drop.
chris
Old 02-10-2007, 12:09 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Lightbulb

After I read a response last night I didn't want to even come back to this site, and I thought that if I ever got a reaction like that at an AA meeting, it would certainly make me walk away to never return.
Thanks again Kats, and everyone who posts w/o making me feel shunned for not (yet) being able to jump in 150%.
Brooke,

I know I was out of line with my last post and I apologize. The thing is that sometimes I hate alcoholism so much that I forget I'm speaking to a person in need of help rather than to the disease itself. To others I offended with my remarks, my apologies to you as well.

I got sober in an era when sometimes "tough love" was the only way to reach someone, even if it scared them or hurt them. I recall using any number of excuses for my anger, frustration, and selfishness. It was only in AA meetings when someone would call me out on my BS did I start to listen. I sometimes felt like these folks were just being mean to me but soon realized that they did have my best interest at heart, I just couldn't recognize it.

So for you dear Brooke, please look past my words and understand that my desire for you is to live a peaceful and serene life. The only way I know how to do that is with the program of AA and God as my guide. There may be a different way for you. I've know people who have overcome addictions with the help of church members, their families, and their friends. It's even acknowledged in the BB that AA is not the only way, just the way that worked for the 100 people who wrote the book.

I do have faith that you will keep coming back and eventually join us as we "trudge the road to happy destiny." There are promises made in this program that are there for you. Please stay long enough to have them come true for you.

Sometimes a little too crusty,
Ed
Old 02-10-2007, 01:00 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
outtahere

Originally Posted by Stan50 View Post
A lot of the people around here are true alcoholics. They are people that used to drink in the morning, in the afternoon, and even at night. And those people arn't like you and me.
In denial

But those people would like you to think differently. They want you to think you have a serious problem because you like to party at night.

Drink up in once or twice a week the everydayers drink in a week. Who are you kidding? Not us but you that's who.

Lots of luck you are gonna need it.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:22 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
outtahere

Thnaks Kats! The thing is, 2 weeks ago I would have never even come on here and READ anything, much less post something. I would have laughed at the idea. I would have laughed in the face of anyone who said I had a problem. Right now (at 11:30 am) I would be figuring out the best plan of action for the day to get some stuff done and make sure that I was well on my way to inebriation by 1 pm. I would most likely go get a baby salad for lunch to make sure there was nothing "heavy" in my stomach to slow down the process of attaining a buzz.

After I read a response last night I didn't want to even come back to this site, and I thought that if I ever got a reaction like that at an AA meeting, it would certainly make me walk away to never return. I think the fact that I am here is a miracle, not to mention the fact that I am aware that something needs to change. Whether or not I agree with everything that everyone says, it does help me to be here. Just because I cannot visualize quitting drinking at this very moment in time, does not mean that I am not moving in that direction.

You still want to get a buzz How could you ever stay sober as long as you want to get a buzz?

Buzz isn't sober.

The name on the sign: SoberRecovery

Please keep coming here. You are just between wanting to get sober and wanting to get a buzz and if you keep coming here you may not go to buzzaddiction anymore.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:21 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

She wants to get a buzz because she's an alcoholic.

"The name on the door is Sober Recovery."

Recovery doesn't happen overnight, leeside, and I'm sure you already know that. Recovery usually takes days, weeks, months and in most cases, years. And... lots of people get and stay sober while still wanting a buzz. In time, that desire will recede... but not having the desire to get a buzz is no prerequisite to being a part of this group, is it?

Hopefully Brooke will keep coming back -- and I think she will as long as we don't drill her into the ground during the process of helping her. Remember folks, not everyone is where you're at, or even where you *were* at... I have great respect for Brooke because she's asking the questions NOW.

Kats
Old 02-10-2007, 09:51 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
outtahere

She wants to get a buzz because she's an alcoholic.

"The name on the door is Sober Recovery."

Recovery doesn't happen overnight, leeside, and I'm sure you already know that. Recovery usually takes days, weeks, months and in most cases, years. And... lots of people get and stay sober while still wanting a buzz. In time, that desire will recede... but not having the desire to get a buzz is no prerequisite to being a part of this group, is it?

Hopefully Brooke will keep coming back -- and I think she will as long as we don't drill her into the ground during the process of helping her. Remember folks, not everyone is where you're at, or even where you *were* at... I have great respect for Brooke because she's asking the questions NOW.

Kats
I think wanting leads to getting and she is getting. As long as you are getting buzzed you are not getting sober. Everyone here isn't so sensitive to have to be coddled as much as you would like and I think she isn't that sensitive to have a problem with my post. My post is to try to show her to stop the want so she doesn't go out and get buzzed.

You didn't read the last paragraph I wrote. Quote: Please keep coming here. You are just between wanting to get sober and wanting to get a buzz and if you keep coming here you may not go to buzzaddiction anymore.

What I am doing is not called drilling it is called reasoning. Drilling is going at someone at length repetitively. I don't see the length or the repitition.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:34 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

One of the most valuable and difficult
lessons I have learned in recovery...

"I can't get anyone else drunk or sober"
Old 02-10-2007, 11:53 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

brooke -

thanks for your thread - got this crowd all lively, anyway! active participation for sure!

I think we all get passionate when it comes to alcoholism, and a 'casualness' of approach, while better than no approach at all ... acts as a trigger for some of us. There are many who post regularly in this forum who know what lies ahead for anyone whose life centers around alcohol. This is a progressive, baffling, powerful disease that is incurable ... and fatal.
That is the simple truth.
There is no intellectualizing around that.

Many of us have been to enough funerals (there's a thread on the board right now reflecting the ultimate outcome of alcoholism) and watched enough suffering that we sometimes forget that there is only One means by which anyone ... and that means anyone ... comes to learning to live with alcoholism.

Only One.

This One Thing doesn't need me, you, or anyone to believe in It to exist. It doesn't NOT exist, just because any among us say It doesn't.

It uses the legal system, (the 'nudge of a judge), the prison system, poverty, homelessness, hopelessness ... angry wives, husbands, girlfriends, boyfriends, children, pain, suffering, car wrecks, 'incomprehensible demoralization' ... It uses whatever means It Will ... to save who It will save from this terrible, terrible death.

On August 28th of last year - I tried to kill myself. Suffice it to say there is no scientific or medical explanation for why I am able to sit at this terminal this night and type this to you. I will happily supply you with the doctors who will attest to that for you, if you like.

At the same time ... I DO know the explanation. I DO know the 'Answer.' Every person who gets so passionate about your approach, isn't necessarily reacting to 'you'... but every one of them has a story like mine. And ever one of them, whether they choose to admit it or not is only here because of that One Thing.

My hope for you is what I have found. My prayer for you is that you are smarter than I was about finding it. That is my prayer for everyone on this site who I've come to know and respect and enjoy. This is what life is without alcohol.
This is ... what Life ... Is.

I apologize for being so wordy. I really need to work on being so verbose.

thanks for everyone's time.

and -

Golfman -
thank you for the very real example of a working program by showing us all what a tenth step looks like.

Gives me a model to go by. The Program works when we work it, huh?
Old 02-10-2007, 11:57 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leeside View Post
I think wanting leads to getting and she is getting. As long as you are getting buzzed you are not getting sober. Everyone here isn't so sensitive to have to be coddled as much as you would like and I think she isn't that sensitive to have a problem with my post. My post is to try to show her to stop the want so she doesn't go out and get buzzed.
You are right. I am not that sensitive...usually. But then again, usually I am wasted. I have actually been the most INSENSITIVE person for a long time, suppressing all my emotions, and not wanting to deal w/ people who actually expressed their own. For me, my alcoholism IS something that I am sensitive about (for obvious reasons). If you honselty think that I should wake up tomorrow and not want a buzz then you must know some miracle cure that has been hidden from me.

I am going to continue coming here, because every minute that I am here is a minute I am actually forced to seriously think about my addiction, and right now that's probably what I need.