Thread: confused...
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2007, 07:35 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
earlybird

Originally Posted by Stan50 View Post
Hey Brooke, this is my first post to you. Personally, I have had an alcohol problem just like yours. It's the "emotional" addiction. It's what my friends and I do. We drink. And we tend to drink a lot. I know I'm going to catch hell for this, but all of these people around here keep on preaching absenence. They keep on saying that you need to stop drinking completly. These people believe that anybody that drinks on a semi regular basis has a drinking problem. Now don't get me wrong. Drinking on a daily basis isn't right. (I've done this for years in the past) and I know it's wrong. But I've stopped drinking on a daily basis, and I only drink on the weekends now, and I don't think it's a problem.

You said that you were going out to celebrate a friends new job or promotion or something, and you said that you got wasted. When you say your wasted, do you mean you just got drunk, or do you mean falling down, blackout, out of control wasted?

If you were falling down, completely out of it, passed out wasted, during the middle of the week, then I'd question wether or not you have a problem.

But if your just going out getting moderatly drunk, I think you can stop with a little will power.

You just have to find something else to do with your time. For me, it's working out. It gives me something to do at night instead of drinking.

But on friday and saturday nights I still drink. And I feel thats allowed as long as your able to refrain from doing it the rest of the week

If your really scared of that idea (I once was) Do it like I did.

Take it one day at a time. Don't drink on Thursday for one week
Then the next week don't drink on wednesday or thursday
The following week, don't drink on tuesday, wednesday or thursday
Then don't drink on monday, tuesday, wednesday, or thursday

Then continue until your comfortable with the amount of days your drinking. The reason I am demonstrating this idea to you, is that I believe, givin your story, that you are not a true alcoholic. You simply have an emotional attachment to it. Just like me. An emotional addition can be broken through willpower. I have done it.

Like you, I have friends that drink. Some drink moderately, some drink way too much, and some barely drink at all. But none the less, I love them all, and I'm not willing to give up being friends with any of them, reguardless of how much they drink. They are my best freinds.

A lot of the people around here are true alcoholics. They are people that used to drink in the morning, in the afternoon, and even at night. And those people arn't like you and me. But those people would like you to think differently. They want you to think you have a serious problem because you like to party at night.

Although, I think it is a problem to party EVERY night, I do not think it is a problem to party once or twice a week.

Brooke, don't let these people persuade you from partying it up and having fun in a drinking atmosphere despite what these other peoples experiences are. If you can cut it down to a couple days a week, I'd say your fine.

If you can not. Then your not like me, and you need some help. But from what I've read from you, you sound a lot like me , and I think you can do it. You don't have to completely stop drinking. Just moderate it.
If you can not. Then your not like me, and you need some help. But from what I've read from you, you sound a lot like me , and I think you can do it. You don't have to completely stop drinking. Just moderate it.[/QUOTE]

H-O-L-Y C-O-W

Is this post even REAL?? These things like "If you drink on the weekends only, you arent an alcoholic" or "if you can cut it down to a couple days a week, you're fine" are TEXTBOOK statements by alcoholics in denial. Its almost word for word. Im sorry to break this to you,......but if getting blown out twice a week is important to you,...you got yourself a problem, my friend. And if I only had a dime for every alcoholic that said "I dont drink and drive".....well, I'd be rich. "Just moderate it"???? Oh,...thanks, man....like the problem is that alcoholics just havent thought of that yet. By the way,.....getting drunk every Friday and Saturday isnt "moderating".....its binge drinking. Normal social drinkers dont drink every weekend in most cases. They dont even drink every other week. There is no schedule for their drinking. They drink when there is a function or when it strikes their fancy. Then they stop. They stop and couldnt even tell you when the next time they will drink will be. You,...on the other hand, can say that you will be drinking in excess 7 days from today. Thats planned binge drinking. You also stated that we, recovering alcoholics, think that anyone who drinks on a semi-regular basis is an alcoholic. Uh,....no. First of all,....EVERY weekend isnt a "SEMI"- regular basis. Its "regular". And excessive "regular" at that. Regular basis would mean that a normal social drinker can have a beer with dinner or a few during a hockey or basketball game or something and thats it. Stopping there wouldnt bother them. NOT getting a buzz would be perfectly fine with them. The drinking you describe is all out binge drinking. Drinking to get drunk.......every weekend. Nothing normal about that. By the way,..."These people" as you describe us,.......used to be exactly like you,..except WE found recovery. You couldnt possibly know what "we" think or how "we" feel about others. By the way,......what the heck are you doing on a recovery site if you dont have a problem with your drinking? If you really thought your drinking wasnt a problem,...you wouldnt even know about this site to post here. I think I've made my point.