Notices

Lighten up AA

Old 12-14-2009, 05:42 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Everybody chill please and remember.....

From our SR Policy Rules and Posting Forum

4. No Flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
Thank you
Old 12-14-2009, 06:03 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Some of us are both. It is what it is.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:23 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jimhere
"This is The Bridge To Faith Group. This is a closed meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous. If you are alcoholic, you are welcome. If your problem is other than alcoholism, you cannot attend this meeting.
We've had a few get up and walk out in a huff. But we had one ask "What do I do?" My counselor told me to come to AA." In cases like that, we qualify people, ask them if they have a history of alcoholism. If they do not...

Yep. I said that. I also said that we qualify new people, just like in the old days. I was confused when I got here. I'd been told I was alcoholic, I was pretty sure of that, but didn't know what alcoholism really was. I'd been told I was a drug addict because I used drugs. I'd been told I was manic-depressive. I was confused and lost. That's what happens when you go to four treatment facilities and sit in hundreds of AA meetings. I'm grateful I met a man that asked me some questions and told me about himself as an alcoholic and helped me to decide for myself. If you show up and you aren't sure, we'll help you find your own Truth.

"Who gets to decide another’s disease, degree of illness, desire, or willingness? I’ve heard it said “playing judge, jury, and executioner of his own sick brother.” I don’t want that honor, I can tell you that."

We aren't judging anyone. Our meeting is a closed meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous for alcoholics and we are up from about that. We aren't going to mislead anyone. Don't like it, walk out in a huff and don't come back. It isn't the newcomers we are so concerned about, like I said we'll help them get what they need. What we don't want is people like yourself that want to make AA into what they think it ought to be.

"Just this last week I seen a newcomer straight out of treatment introducing themselves as an addict only. Of course my curious mind wondered why she chose to come to AA instead of NA."

It's probably not their fault, they don't know any better.Their counselor in treatment probably told them to come to AA and more than likely told them that it doesn't make any difference, since a drug is a drug is a drug. Shame on that counselor. And shame on the ones like our friend whose post I addressed above who do know better, but don't care.

"While Jim posted many things that are spot on and absolutely right...he is wrong about one thing. It clearly states in the traditions that the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking."

Ah, the much abused short form. The one that we read on the wall, just like a lot of us read the steps off the wall. Let's take a look at the long form, which says what is it says and leaves no room for interpretation. "Our membership ought to include all who suffer from ALCOHOLISM...." So the only requirement for an alcoholic to be a member is a desire to stop drinking.

"If you come to a meeting I happen to be at and say or do anything against the steps or traditions, I will call you on it. Don't like it?? Start your own program. That's how AA got started."

Thanks Music. That reminded me of this link that Boleo posted on another thread.

alladdicts anonymous.org

This fellowship uses the Big Book. In fact it was started by Tom P., who was sponsored by Bill Wilson and who helped Bill write the 12 & 12. Check out the website, it tells you guys who want to make AA in Alladdicts Anonymous how to start your own fellowship. I'm thinking of trying to get it going here. Not so much for me because I find AA sufficient. More for the folks like who are posting here. God knows we need it.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:24 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Forgive me if I am repeating anything another has said but I haven't the energy to read all the post on this hot topic.

An Al Anon friend of mine tells me she notices a remarkable difference between 'straight alkies' and those who are maybe 'alkie/addict' or 'addict'. She says alcoholics are more forward than addicts (as in outgoing, life of the party etc...) while addicts tend to be more withdrawn. I'm not saying this is a right or wrong statement, it's just FYI. I tend to agree with her.

Personally I think 'addicts' tend to be more involved in crime than alcoholics as it can cost a lot to keep a habit,compared to a daily $10 casket of wine.
When I got sober I really identified with the life styles alot of people in NA had lived not the ones in AA who still had jobs, houses and their kids etc....

There is also the age old joke - What's the difference between and alcoholic and an addict?

An alcoholic will steal your wallet but an addict will steal your wallet then help you look for it.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:31 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FanofJoeMcQ View Post
Some of us are both. It is what it is.
That's true. Some are some aren't, I'm not.

I don't see anyone here saying that someone can't be both and not be a member of AA.

As long as one of those "both" is alcoholism, that is.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:08 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Some posts have been removed as they violated rule 4.
others that quoted them have also been removed.

This thread is closed.