Notices

A Selfish Program

Old 02-28-2008, 06:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Selfish Program

I heard it twice this week at anniversary meetings no less, "This is a selfish program
I have a blue book with the title Alcoholics Anonymous on the cover. It tells me that selfishness is the root of all my trouble, it further goes on to say I must be rid of this selfishness or it will kill me. I have written enough inventory to see that this is my experience.

A friend of mine says it is a program of enlightened self interest, which is a lot different. It implies my ongoing recovery is directly related to how willing I am to give away what I have been so freely given.

AA is a selfless program for incredibly selfish people.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

tell it Rob!
Old 02-28-2008, 06:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Amen.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 02-28-2008, 06:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kit

Your right, Rob. Alcoholics are selfish, not the programs that help them. I'm glad AA is working out for you!
Old 02-28-2008, 06:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
problem with authority

selfish programs

Rob, thanks.

I just realized I haven't heard that one in a while. I used to hear it all the time when I was in rehab, it felt like every person who came in to talk to us said they were there for themselves and not us.

In a strange way though I believe it got the message across to me that doing service would be necessary for my sobriety. Selfishness was a language I could understand best at that time.

-M
Old 02-28-2008, 06:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Rob thanks for mentioning that.... you're right. It never says in the BB that aa is "a selfish program." In fact we are told that freedom from self-will is the only path to freedom. I dunno where the "selfish program" BS got started, but I am glad you pointed it out.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Agreed.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I must have missed the part that says worrying and being concerned with myself will ensure immunity from drinking when all else fails

Oh wait - that would be working with other alcoholics - not a real selfish act if you ask me.

Tks Rob
Old 02-28-2008, 11:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Someone should start a thread dedicated to BS ideas and sayings that go around meetings, yet are not in the BB and have nothing to do with alcoholics anonymous. I'm sure we could come up with a litany of examples.

On a another note, "Take what you want and leave the rest" .... correct me if I'm wrong, but that one isn't in the BB is it?

I have noticed (like other people have) that this has been interpreted by many as pertaining to the 12 steps of AA---- not what people say in meetings as was intended.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by Rob B View Post

AA is a selfless program for incredibly selfish people.
Well put, thanks Rob
Old 02-29-2008, 03:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

SAY IT LOUD BROTHER!!!

How Bill W. refuted that 'A.A. is a SELFISH program.'

Another correspondent complained directly that he had been "disturbed to hear some A.A. speakers say, 'A.A. is a selfish program.'" The co-founder's response was eventually published in "The A.A. Way of Life":

I can see why you are disturbed.... The word "selfish" ordinarily implies that one is acquisitive, demanding, and thoughtless of the welfare of others. Of course, the A.A. way of life does not at all imply such undesirable traits.

What do these speakers mean? Well, any theologian will tell you that the salvation of his own soul is the highest vocation that a man can have. Without salvation - however we may define this - he will have little or nothing. For us in A.A. there is even more urgency.

If we cannot or will not achieve sobriety, then we become truly lost, right in the here and now. We are of no value to anyone, including ourselves, until we find salvation from alcohol. Therefore, our own recovery and spiritual growth have to come first - a right and necessary kind of self-concern.

From "Not-God, A History of Alcoholics Anonymous", pp. 243-244, by Ernest Kurtz.

A tabulation of words in the Big Book which contain the root "self".
Word Group Self-Word Count

Character Virtues
self-control 1
self-discipline 2
self-respect 1
self-searching 1
unselfish 1
unselfishness 2
Total 8

Character Defects
self-centered 3
self-centeredness 3
self-deception 1
self-destruction 1
self-esteem 7 *
selfish 11
selfishly 1
selfishness 3
self-justification 1
self-pity 11
self-pitying 1
self-seeker 1
self-seeking 4
self-supporting 1
Total 49

Other
self-appraisal 3
self-confidence 2
self-confident 1
self-conscious 1
self-consciousness 1
self-evident 1
self-imposed 1
self-propulsion 1
self-reliance 3
self-revealing 1
self-sacrifice 2
self-sacrificing 2
self-sufficiency 1
self-will 5
Total 25

Prepositions
herself 2
himself 75
itself 7
myself 22
ourselves 1
self 5
thyself 2
yourself 25
Total 139

Overall Total 221

From above posted site. Good stuff

A.A. is NOT a selfish program

Tom
Old 02-29-2008, 03:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good topic!

What always strikes me as odd is that there are so many phrases kicked around the rooms including aa is a selfish program that people say are not aa. Then where do they come from and why are people saying them?

I was at a meeting last week where a young girl was saying how she can't make 90 in 90, it set off a huge debate during the meeting. A guy (bb man) stated that 90 in 90 was not aa it came from treatment centers. Well this was a surprise to me as my first sponsor told me to do 90 in 90. I hear it all the time...almost every begginers meeting I attend. I also see newcomers here being advised to do 90 in 90. Is it aa or not? I don't know, I did it and it served its purpose for me. It can be confusing for the newcomer.

As for aa being a selfish program...semantics at its best.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Where does this come from

Anybody interested in seeing what our basic text has to say on most of the nifty little one liners thrown around the fellowship should check out the following link: That Ain't in the Book

As far as semantics go, I respectfully disagree, words have tremendous power, to influence, help, or even harm.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Rob, I agree words do have tremendous power. My point was an argument can be made for both sides. My first sponsor told me that aa comes before everything else, she said aa not sobriety there is a difference. I too have heard in the rooms that aa is a selfish program...do I agree...no, but for some it can be difficult to weed out what is aa and what is not.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

What always strikes me as odd is that there are so many phrases kicked around the rooms including aa is a selfish program that people say are not aa. Then where do they come from and why are people saying them?
Bugs that is an easy one, they come from people, one person said it, others heard it, related to it and repeated it, kind of like a snowball rolling down a hill. If heard in the proper context many of these statements fit in with the program, taken out of context they don't fit in the program.

The best example I can think of is "Take what you want and leave the rest"! This in the context of what is said at a meaning is darn good solid advice. I am sure there is a lot of stuff you have heard said at meetings that are not program, but are simply someones opinion or advice, sometimes it is good stuff that you or someone else may be able to use, or it may be junk, we need to decide whether we should take that with us or leave it.

The sad thing is people like that slogan and take it out of context and to fit thier own rejection of parts of the program apply it to the first 164 pages of the BB saying that the phrase "Take what you want and leave the rest." applies to the program! All one has to do is read how it works to see that is a bunch of hooie!:

Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program.
Some of us have tried to hold on to our old ideas and the result was nil until we let go absolutely.
Half measures availed us nothing. We stood at the turning point. we asked His protection and care with complete abandon.
The above from the BB dispels any idea that we should take what we want and leave the rest from the program and expect all of the promises to come true.

A guy (bb man) stated that 90 in 90 was not aa it came from treatment centers.
The guy was right, I and many others have done thourough searches on all AA approved literature and there is not one single mention of 90 in 90 anywhere. But this is one of those things where "Take what you want and leave the rest." does apply, no it is not program, it is from treatment centers because studies have shown that the best way to break an old habit and establish a new habit is to not do the old one for 90 days straight and to do the one you want to establish for 90 days.

Is it aa or not?
No it is not AA, but it is a darn good piece of advice for anything, dieting, exercising, or recovery!

BTW Rob I totally concur!!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 04:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

what is aa and what is not.
If you can not find it in writing in AA approved literature according to my sponsor it is not AA, it could be excellent advice, but not AA advice.

In the BB where step 11 is covered there is a paragraph that says:
If circumstances warrant, we ask our wives or friends to join us in morning meditation. If we belong to a religious denomination which requires a definite morning devotion, we attend to that also. If not members of religious bodies, we sometimes select and memorize a few set prayers which emphasize the principles we have been discussing. There are many helpful books also. Suggestions about these may be obtained from one's priest, minister, or rabbi. Be quick to see where religious people are right. Make use of what they offer.
This spells out that other "helpful books" can and should be a part of our AA recovery, AA approved or not.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Taz I appreciate your reply. I agree that in the last 70 years there is a wealth of information at our finger tips BUT the quote from the bb that states "Be quick to see where religious people are right. Make use of what they offer." makes me uncomfortable since aa is not a religious program...or is it? Sounds a bit contradictory. JMO
Old 02-29-2008, 05:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My own personal "bugbear" (sorry bugs!) is -

"If you don't share you don't care".
Old 02-29-2008, 05:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Bugs,
Ninety in ninety came from treatment centers to Narcotics Anonymous to AA.

Many of the terms, phrases, and slogans that we here in contemporary AA cames to us from either treatment centers or NA. I was reading through NA's basic text and saw a lot of what we hear in AA meetings today.
Jim
Old 02-29-2008, 05:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That's right

Originally Posted by bugsworth View Post
Taz I appreciate your reply. I agree that in the last 70 years there is a wealth of information at our finger tips BUT the quote from the bb that states "Be quick to see where religious people are right. Make use of what they offer." makes me uncomfortable since aa is not a religious program...or is it? Sounds a bit contradictory. JMO

Bugs,
Please don't use that phrase to kick off one your "AA is not religious" thread hi-jackings.

That phrase comes from the EleventhStep instructions. Bill is offering a suggestion that the INDIVIDUAL member may find useful in his or her PERSONAL spiritual life.
Jim