View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 04:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

What always strikes me as odd is that there are so many phrases kicked around the rooms including aa is a selfish program that people say are not aa. Then where do they come from and why are people saying them?
Bugs that is an easy one, they come from people, one person said it, others heard it, related to it and repeated it, kind of like a snowball rolling down a hill. If heard in the proper context many of these statements fit in with the program, taken out of context they don't fit in the program.

The best example I can think of is "Take what you want and leave the rest"! This in the context of what is said at a meaning is darn good solid advice. I am sure there is a lot of stuff you have heard said at meetings that are not program, but are simply someones opinion or advice, sometimes it is good stuff that you or someone else may be able to use, or it may be junk, we need to decide whether we should take that with us or leave it.

The sad thing is people like that slogan and take it out of context and to fit thier own rejection of parts of the program apply it to the first 164 pages of the BB saying that the phrase "Take what you want and leave the rest." applies to the program! All one has to do is read how it works to see that is a bunch of hooie!:

Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program.
Some of us have tried to hold on to our old ideas and the result was nil until we let go absolutely.
Half measures availed us nothing. We stood at the turning point. we asked His protection and care with complete abandon.
The above from the BB dispels any idea that we should take what we want and leave the rest from the program and expect all of the promises to come true.

A guy (bb man) stated that 90 in 90 was not aa it came from treatment centers.
The guy was right, I and many others have done thourough searches on all AA approved literature and there is not one single mention of 90 in 90 anywhere. But this is one of those things where "Take what you want and leave the rest." does apply, no it is not program, it is from treatment centers because studies have shown that the best way to break an old habit and establish a new habit is to not do the old one for 90 days straight and to do the one you want to establish for 90 days.

Is it aa or not?
No it is not AA, but it is a darn good piece of advice for anything, dieting, exercising, or recovery!

BTW Rob I totally concur!!!!