Notices

I cant make more than two days!

Old 08-23-2014, 10:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

One day at a time

My friends kept telling me to take one day at a time. The problem was that I could not go half a day without drinking, let alone a day. Many tries resulted in failure until I was able to truly understand what they meant. Now I am taking a day at a time and feeling the pains of not drinking. Each day that goes by is an added day of sobriety I celebrate and feel good good about.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

5 days is my max so far and been trying on and off since July 7th. I am reading a lot about recovery and it has been very helpful as just like quitting smoking, every time I abstain, I get better at doing without a drink. I am quitting both smoking and drinking and I have stayed quit from smoking since July 7. Easier to stay quit from smoking if I don't drink. I just don't like who/what I become when I have more than one drink and I always have more than one drink. I'll plan to have one drink/maybe two and four drinks later I am laughing outside while hating myself inside. All of the reading has helped me realize how terrible booze is for the body/brain which continues to serve as a motivator.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yes. You. Can.

Welcome to SR and you are in the right place to get you past those two days.....
Old 09-03-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by studog1901 View Post
So funny you mention the gym. I run on a treadmill I have here.,. but still what determines that is my cravings on my way home from work. :-(
This was always my stumbling block as well. My friends lived in a city 40 min from me, I always drank when there 100% without fail. I would be weeks sober and tell myself that i was going to go visit and not drink and about half way through the drive there i was already thinking about drinking. A turn right before their house had a liquor store on it - my car would seemingly control itself and i would pull in, sit in the car for 5 min and finally go in to buy.

I just eventually stopped going down to stay sober. I am now 11 months without and was down there a week ago and no cravings or trigger effects.

I would take a different route home to fool your brain or go to the gym after work anything but what you are currently doing. How about car pooling with someone so you cant stop at the booze store without asking them which would get pretty embarrassing after a while.

I too was an after work drinker but eventually lost my job and became a full time one. Its just not worth it. All the best!!
Old 09-10-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Im trying to work through my insanity right now.....please pray for me ... id do it for you.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Social situations

Finding that I haven't been able to not drink when I go out. I am doing better. At home. Not drinking every night but going out to dinner or over friends I say I'll just have one and then that turns into more..I am invited to dinner this Thursday and my friends said just bring wine.i am. Going to really try not to drink. I'll see how it goes. Any suggestions? Everyone will be drinking red wine with dinner,.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Bearbaby

just a suggestion but you'll get more feedback in you start your own thread in our Newcomers forum

Newcomers to Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 10-13-2014, 11:21 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

It's been a little while, and to be honest I'd fallen back into the 'hole' of drinking. Was back to every day. Constantly angry at myself every morning for having a drink. Yet, still going out after work to get more.

But something in me changed 5 days ago. I was meant to go visit my kids and completely forgot. Was drunk when I organized it. My daughter of 6 was counting down the 'sleeps' until daddy would be there. And I didn't show up. I didn't even find until two days later.

So, I haven't had a drink in 5 days. It's evening here now, and I know I'm not drinking tonight. And that's not something I've been used to saying with confidence.

I'm still just going to take this one day at a time.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:30 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can make this time be your time studog

D
Old 10-14-2014, 12:04 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee. I hope this is it too. ��
Old 10-14-2014, 02:02 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

And thank you to everyone else who has commented on thread. Both those offering advice and struggling as well. It's nice to be able to share with people that understand how hard it really is. :-)
Old 11-06-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1navy1964 View Post
Hello, I have been sober not even a day. I have no idea how to stop.
Welcome 1navy. This is only day two for me.... Stay on this site and talk when you feel weak, it really helps a lot. I took a bath and drank some tea last night and then read a bunch of posts on here while watching American pie instead of my usual drinks... We can do it if we all stick together.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'm finally getting there!

It's been a while since I've been on here and to be honest things took a hard and fast downward spiral. Started drinking even more heavily, even while i was at work.

Then six weeks ago, I stopped.

Dropped my kids off at their mothers, after my youngests fifth birthday, went home and drank 4 bottles of wine. Woke up the next morning and said no more.

First week was so damn hard. Shaking, sweating, Craving! But running it through my head every time how the drinking just does nothing positive for me at all.

So 24th April. An easy date for me to remember.
I have never been this long without a drink. But i know this is always going to be an ongoing battle. One I'm determined to fight. Even if i should slip I know I will fight on. I am feeling better than I have in years.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Congrats, studog. I'm really happy for you
Old 05-26-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm just thrilled for you, studog!

Congratulations on 6 weeks.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go studog

D
Old 05-27-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats
Old 06-26-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Hopeful

studog1, I am feeling your pain right now. I can do 1 day, then I fall. Then I make it 3 days and fall again. I do really think that the ideas about changing routines is a very strong one. Like you said, I am 100% positive that I can do it all day long while I'm work and then I get in my car...and fail. Dee74 suggested on one of the posts about some of the "sticky" things about how to make a plan. I have been reading those tonight and have hopes of being able to figure out a solid plan that is individualized to me and can really WORK once and for all. Hang in there.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Your reply has helped me. And I need a lot of help. Still drinking, but really want to quit. It is just SO HARD.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Shelby

Why not come check out the Newcomers forum too?
Newcomers to Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D