Notices

I cant make more than two days!

Old 11-16-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by studog1901 View Post
I try. when at work I'm 100% sure I won't drink after work. but fail every time. My partners daughter called me a drunk casually. and she's 8 and I'd never thought she'd seen me drinking.
Stu,
I had a similar experience. My parents were visiting, and I would never drink in front of my parents. My stepson was around 8 also at the time, and he knows how i drink when they were not around. Well, we were around the dinner table, and someone asked me what I wanted to drink, and before I could answer, my stepson says "I know what he wants, he wants a Bud Light !" They all had a laugh but I was really embarassed.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LooseGrip View Post
Welcome Stud and Navy. I like what someone said about going for a juice bar after work...or a milkshake/icecream? Or why dont you plan to meet a non-drinking friend for dinner? When you get home you can listen to your favorite music while reading and posting here on SR. That's how I've been doing it. There is alot that I like to do besides drinking...and now much much more than drinking. Good luck to you both.

I'm sitting here reading SR, listening to relaxing music, and drinking tea. Much better then drinking that bottle of wine and waking up hungover and full of regret! One day at a time! That's the only way I can keep moving forward right now.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:19 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good stuff Keepnitreal
Old 12-23-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Here is what finally worked for me.

I try. when at work I'm 100% sure I won't drink after work. but fail every time. My partners daughter called me a drunk casually. and she's 8 and I'd never thought she'd seen me drinking.
1. Go find a sponsor at a face to face meeting. When AA began there was only one meeting a week where people had to travel 18 hours to get there. Today there's one around the corner everywhere bc of the program's success. Go for 90 days straight to reprogram the mind and go with this attitude. Honesty. Open minded to new ideas. (Including discarding old patterns). Willingness. (Ask self: am I done? And make a commitment to do anything uncomfortable to recover.. It's almost like taming a wild stubborn bull.) most importantly find a sponsor and few friends of the same sex that are stable in recovery and try to emulate them. The mainly healing is in the steps, the meetings are good too but u have to get to the core and have someone guide u thru life problems. We can't do this on our own. U need them and they need you. Because we are mirrors. Good luck!
Old 10-18-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Sober since October 24, 1997

I try. when at work I'm 100% sure I won't drink after work. but fail every time.
Kind of late, but maybe someone who can benefit by this will see it.

Yeah! I was there. When I finally did quit, I took it just one day at a time, and kept at it. My trick was staying sober one day at a time, sometimes minute by minute and hour by hour. Pretty soon it got easier and easier, and not too much later I didn't think about booze anymore. All those "one days at a time" add up to 19 years now, it was some time in mid-October 1997 that it all finally ended. It was tough at first, but how well I was feeling got me through those tough "one days at a time". Now, I no longer have tough days - but I will NEVER forget how I felt when I quit - it was a mixture of intense craving I "toughed" my way through with encouragement from trusted others, mixed with FINALLY feeling good after so many years. To find "trusted others" to encourage you, go to recovery meetings like Alcoholics Anonymous BEFORE you get bad cravings that lead to failure. You must have support before you get the cravings so it will already be there for you when things start to go the way you didn't intend.

Like the long-ago Robert Blake TV show "Baretta" theme song says: "Keep your eye on the sparrow when the going gets narrow".

Lautca
Old 01-04-2017, 09:24 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LizH View Post
5 days is my max so far and been trying on and off since July 7th. I am reading a lot about recovery and it has been very helpful as just like quitting smoking, every time I abstain, I get better at doing without a drink. I am quitting both smoking and drinking and I have stayed quit from smoking since July 7. Easier to stay quit from smoking if I don't drink. I just don't like who/what I become when I have more than one drink and I always have more than one drink. I'll plan to have one drink/maybe two and four drinks later I am laughing outside while hating myself inside. All of the reading has helped me realize how terrible booze is for the body/brain which continues to serve as a motivator.
That's about same for me, some days easy to abstain .

Then I will have one and it's two.. then 10 , waste of money waste of next day eat rubbish , miss gym feel low.

I need to combat the triggers .